How do these people survive.

Associate
I've got a teddy she can have.
If she guesses the correct number from 1 to 100,000 then she wins. Ten goes for a quid.
I'll go and book a holiday while she plays.

Associate
I must have spent at least £20-30(2 goes per pound) over age range of 7-26 and ironically I have actually won 6 prizes from the claw/UFO machines.
They do have slight addiction similar to gambling in a sense it gives you a "oh yes I could win something that normally cost £xxx for £1" but reality is you only have 1 in 100 chance its a guaranteed pick up. If you manage to play when its that 1 in 100 then well-done you.

Associate
Best part was

Ms Holden said she was glad to have finally won but wanted a second toy for her child.

So despite spending £40 to get the first toy for her 5 month year old, she then just HAD to have another one, spent another £60, still complained.

Associate
Some of my family have worked in the management of arcades at times and I'm told that solenoid that closes the claw on the crane only gets powered up for the full duration once out of every 35 attempts. The chances of you actually having gotten hold of something on that one occasion the claw remains closed will be pretty slim.

Man of Honour
Was a story a few years ago about someone who reverse engineered the software and found the machines are programmed to give a win after a certain amount of plays.

That's a bit of a crude approach, but I'm sure it happens. It's generally a bit more subtle, involving deliberate variations in grip strength. Either way, the point is to average out to a percentage in terms of money in and money out. If each toy costs X, on average it's going to cost >X to get one and the machine will be set up to make that happen. It's gambling. It's rigged in favour of the house. That's what gambling is for.

This person is an arse. She wasted far too much money to get a cuddly toy for herself and then did it again right away despite knowing the score, then tried to use a baby as leverage to absolve herself of responsibility for her own actions. The baby didn't care - she even says that herself.

It's even more dumb today because it's so easy to buy the cuddly toys. You don't need to spend time and money travelling to shops - just go online and buy the toy. I bet she could have bought it for <£10 delivered.

Caporegime
Really? It sounds like rank stupidity to me. I'd be interested to know which part of the curriculum you feel would address this.

Improved personal education surrounding money for starters and generally math's overall, specifically surrounding financial logic with respect to probability. You could also include something surrounding addictive acts and how to see past it.

I'm sure there's a pedagogical manner to put it across to children (as i'm rattling off a rigid ask), but i'm not an educator, so not sure how viable this is and how to frame it around a real situation, i guess you could just simulate it.

I just can't accept that there are (outside of ones with disabilities that are relevant) children that can't be taught out of emotional, illogical mistakes.

Last edited:
Associate
Improved personal education surrounding money for starters and generally math's overall, specifically surrounding financial logic with respect to probability. You could also include something surrounding addictive acts and how to see past it.

I'm sure there's a pedagogical manner to put it across to children (as i'm rattling off a rigid ask), but i'm not an educator, so not sure how viable this is and how to frame it around a real situation, i guess you could just simulate it.

I just can't accept that there are (outside of ones with disabilities that are relevant) children that can't be taught out of emotional, illogical mistakes.

No, she's just stupid. The fact that she ploughed more money in after getting the first toy proves that she's incapable of even the most simple logical or probabilistic calculations.

Associate
People thrive off being a victim now, its in the UK's psyche (thanks Anne Robinson). Nothing to do with education or intelligence, even an animal would give up after several attempts.

Of course though she is clearly thick

Soldato
I'm guessing she's on benefits, she looks the sort, she should be done for wasting tax payers money.

No, no, no..you have got it wrong! She's been off work because she suffers from "anxiety and depression" since the age of 16.

No picture of the partner.....bet he is no different. The sort of people who would only find each other on Hook Up apps.

Permabanned
I'm gonna take her side on this one. These things are blatant scams, like darts at the fair. It should be the job of government to protect the people from this predatory behaviour.

Back
Top Bottom