G2A implementing a monthly inactivity fee

Ree

Ree

Associate
I'm shocked there's anyone left after it came to light they were selling stolen keys. I mean who really wants the hassle of that?

think lots still used them anyway some folk just don't care as long as they get a bargain in their eyes. me personally i avoided them like the plague.

Soldato
Well it seems that a number of indie game dev's would rather people pirate their games, than buy them from G2A. Which when you look at it, is cheaper for them.

Jim Stirling has a video about it but I cant link because of this potty mouth...

G2A are the Viagogo of gaming... but worse.

Associate
Yea I've seen indie devs mention before that they'd much rather you just pirate the game than buy from G2A, IIRC, due to the refunds when people buy with stolen cards.

Soldato
Logged on to delete my account which was now "suspended due to inactivity" then got a nice email titled: "Inactivity fee timer has been reset".

Yeah, naw.

EDIT: Just released this thread goes back to January!

Last edited:
Soldato
I've used them for older titles that were still full rrp on Steam after a few years.

I didn't realise they were potentially stolen keys? Sod that then, I'll stop using them!

Soldato
I'm shocked there's anyone left after it came to light they were selling stolen keys. I mean who really wants the hassle of that?

In regards to this I thought I post this twitter message that I just saw mentioned over at CohhCarnage channel.

WI65dZr.gif

nV4uWpY.gif

So, rather interesting how that been outlined, especially the last part that they being unbiased (in an article about themselves ! :confused: ) at the same time don't wont be mentioned as being associated with G2A, although they wrote the article ?? :rolleyes:

And then in a reply they saying it was an employee that did it themselves without the company knowledge....

Soldato
Yea I've seen indie devs mention before that they'd much rather you just pirate the game than buy from G2A, IIRC, due to the refunds when people buy with stolen cards.

Its appeared on the bbc website yesterday

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48908726

He added that G2A already took measures to tackle illegal sales

And he said developers were partly responsible for some of the scams on its site because of the "thousands of free keys" they had created for giveaways.

Quite controversial.

Soldato
The keys themselves arent stolen, they are bought from legit websites in places like China using stolen CC details. Usually stolen from sites like this and those "gold selling" sites you used to see for MMOs.

I was working for a games developer when it peaked. Credit card providers were threatening to blacklist companies if they didnt sort it out.

Soldato
In today's Scummy G2A news....

G2A have said they will develop a program that will block keys that they have been given by the developers. Basically a blacklist...

Small Caveat
They will only do this work if 100 developers sign up to it.

They can then publish the list of devs who have signed up...

So really it's a marketing ploy...
"Oooo look such and such a dev is signed up to the G2A's blocking program!!! they must be affiliated with us now!"

Oh yeah and they will only block Review Keys and giveaway Keys... Not purchased keys (stolen one's which is the real issue)

Linky link link

Soldato
Can someone tell me how 'stolen' keys sold at G2A is any different to 'stolen' stuff sold at say Ebay?

On Ebay if you find out it is stolen, then paypal will give you your money back and go after the seller...

Because G2A is a grey key market, people are using stolen credit cards to purchase keys so they can sell on G2A. The credit card companies then charge back to the developer storefront to recover the fraudulent money. So the dev not only lose the money on the purchase, they also have to pay the charge back fee and the person who stole the key on G2A gets away with it.

G2A have not got a great track record of keeping tabs on their sellers so some devs are losing a lot of money because of that...

Back
Top Bottom