Worth upgrading to mac mini 2018? About to pull trigger, need your thoughts!

Soldato
Keep the thread updated when u get it! :D

Typically there a few more updates and arrival at the distribution hub before going out for delivery - none of those currently so I’m not holding my breath!

Woo: update, it’s left finally Castle Donnington.. but stating due the bad weather they will update the delivery date.
Delivery date is now Monday - it’s amazing how slow UPS is.
Castle Donnington > Stanstead > Stanford le Hope > ? (It’s departed)
If it’s standard UPS then it travels at a snails pace.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mwahaha it arrived :D

Only issue I have (had) is that the NEC 20WGX2 was blinking like crazy on the USB-C to DVI-D cable. However it appears switching the monitor off and then on again solves it.

It seems zippy compared to my 2011 i7 MBP with a dead memory channel (ie 8GB and 1/2 bus performance) and a 5400rpm Hybrid-SSD HD.

Soldato
Got this problem at the moment came back randomly.

Serious warning - flashing lights.

So at the moment not too impressed.

Soldato
This may or may not be helpful. This also mentions a flickering display. Either way, get it logged with Apple so that they're aware you're having a problem.

Sometimes when the machine wakes and the monitor wakes it seems to sync up and everything is fine, last time I was downloading Xcode and it sudden reverted to flickering.

It seems zippy though..

Soldato
Next gotcha, although with Mojave, is that it refuses to mount MSDOS FAT32 drives that High Sierra reads/writes all day long.

Soldato
Interesting, so, aside from the screen issues, it feels nippy? You don't by any chance use lightroom or final cut do you ? Whats the spec of your machine you have again ?

Top i7 with 8GB and 256GB SSD.

I don’t but I do program GPUs as part of home projects - I just need to transfer the Xcode from my dead GPU MBP and recode to Metal from openCL.

However it currently runs on CPU (using FFTW multithreaded). So we can see the speed difference of 12 cores on long jobs).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Top i7 with 8GB and 256GB SSD.

I don’t but I do program GPUs as part of home projects - I just need to transfer the Xcode from my dead GPU MBP and recode to Metal from openCL.

However it currently runs on CPU (using FFTW multithreaded). So we can see the speed difference of 12 cores on long jobs).

cool sounds interesting, will you go egpu's as your programming for them ?

Soldato
Err what? lol

It means make (compile) 12 jobs in parallel..

For the deconvolution using CPU only, it seems a little faster, but also will do the same on my old 1 channel MBP :)

Just trying my deconvolution processing - currently running at 1,100+% CPU :)

Each band of processing taking 6 seconds on the mini - Vs - mbp i7 (1ch) at 16-17 seconds per band.

All in memory, so it’s 2.83x faster.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom