Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Ordered a 2gb version. Hopefully it'll be a nice upgrade for my 3A mini-nas. Gigabit lan and usb 3 should take care of that.

Just got to wait for the Chinese aluminium heatsink-cases to start appearing on Ebay. Shouldn't take long.

Associate
Headless is always the way to go. This looks like an interesting project though. Are you using an Airspy with it and I wonder what you're doing with the voice streams.

recording 9 Marine band channels to mp3, i was using an Airspy but currently using an SDRPlay RSP1A.

have 2 Airspy R2's and SDRPlay RSP2 and RSP1A.

one Airspy is on a Discone and the RSP2 on a UHF Dipole.
RSP1A is on a Marine Dipole running on a laptop with Arch Linux.

Soldato
Grrrr - mi Pi4 turned up today - it's gorgeous.

Needed to set up a lamp server on it to run a legacy website in archive mode. All went smoothly then.....

Website needs php5.6, duster only runs php7

Can't get php5 binaries for pi4, pi4 can't run raspian jessie (which runs php5.6).

Stuck.

Thinking of getting a Pi 3 which was the last version that runs Jessie just to get php5.6.

Hate it when software stops supporting functions like ereg and msqlconnect just a ball ache.

Any ideas how I can get Jessie running on a Pi4 ?

Man of Honour
Grrrr - mi Pi4 turned up today - it's gorgeous.

Needed to set up a lamp server on it to run a legacy website in archive mode. All went smoothly then.....

Website needs php5.6, duster only runs php7

Can't get php5 binaries for pi4, pi4 can't run raspian jessie (which runs php5.6).

Stuck.

Thinking of getting a Pi 3 which was the last version that runs Jessie just to get php5.6.

Hate it when software stops supporting functions like ereg and msqlconnect just a ball ache.

Any ideas how I can get Jessie running on a Pi4 ?

You can still install PHP5.6 just not from the Debian repo

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46378017/install-php5-6-in-debian-9

Associate
G

Seen this type of thing time and again with linux, its not just a pi issue.
Somebody updates something, some function, app or whatnot and then everything breaks downstream from that.
Then you spend hours looking though tech forums to find someone who has fixed it and gives a 20 page essay about the technicalities of it and a few command line things to type that are a mile long and complete gibberish only to find it didnt work and you had to go in and change 3 lines in a 9 thousand line config file and then start again.

I somehow dont see much of that on the windows side, even if it still can be a baw ache. Linux piddles me off a lot.

Soldato
I found that post, but it appears his repo does not have binaries for the Arm CPU. As such forcing the install just results in a seg fault when you try to enable the php5.6 mod and restart apache

I'll try again just in case I missed something....

Nope the same result - is this something you have got working or a helpful google?

Appreciate the help at any rate....

*** THINK IT WORKS ***

Had to run a2dismod php7.3

Then restarted apache - phpinfo is showing the correct version 5.6!

YES - It works :)

Phew.....

Last edited:
Commissario
I'm sure I read somewhere that there's going to be a new PoE HAT for the Pi4 which will be able to deliver the full 3A that the Pi4 requires if using high current USB devices.

maj

maj

Soldato
Installed OpenVPN on a Pi last night, it's stupendously easy.

http://www.pivpn.io/

The OpenVPN server on my Synolgoy has been playing up recently, first they changed the encryption method in a software update, then in the last week or so I've been unable to access my LAN from it. Ditched it last night for PiVPN, perfect.

Now my Pi3 does the following..

Unifi controller (Network controller)
PiHole (DNS ad blocker)
Wake on Lan server
PiVPN (OpenVPN server)

Meant to ask this when I first saw this post at time it was posted.

I did this awhile ago myself. Perfect for being able to access my home LAN when on the move without me needing to forward ports. One thing I'm not so clear on is how the traffic is tunneled when I'm connected to it. I find public wifi speeds woeful and I thought I'd be able to use my home internet when connected via PiVPn, that correct? Just I'm finding I can't even stream Youtube any higher than 240p without massive buffering which makes me think I'm still getting throttled by the public wifi I'm connected to. If I do a whatismyip check my public IP address is my router public IP address though so maybe the wifi I'm connected to just can't cope.

I could just stick to mobile data but I'm not sure how much of my data allowance would get used when I'm tunneling to my home LAN. Say I downloaded a 1GB file, would it use my home internet or my mobile data?

Back
Top Bottom