• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Something super is coming...

Associate
How the cards should have originally performed 9 months ago but still need a good 20% price cut.

Like others have said, they only appear good in value at first glance cause of how terrible the original RTX pricing has been.

Least its going in the right direction thought i guess.

Caporegime
Oh come on.

This is a mid-range, arguably low-mid card in the line up. Bettered by the 2070 Super, 2080, 2080 Super, 2080 Ti, Titan RTX. There are only three cards below it? Ignoring media centre type cards.

And it has a near-enough £400 price tag. Just lol at the "great pricing". It's bloody shameful pricing. It's outright extortion.

Mid-range buyers can't afford any 2000 series nVidia card. Not one.

What do you get for £150 - £250? Nothing. Nothing at all.

Great pricing tho.
You make fair points and I guess my thinking was coming from previous card prices. I thought they were good but as you say, still £400 (ish) for a 2060 mid range card, which I paid for a 680 not that far back.

Soldato
This quote right here is why the GPU market continues to be as bad as it is today.

Consumers thinking they are getting great value, when in fact the are being taken a loan of.

Grow a brain people.

I agree but in the same breath, surely AMD were also taking the mick with the Radeon VII price vs performance too?
Lets call a spade a spade and say that both AMD and Nvidia at the high end are taking the mick.

For 1080ti+ performance (4k/60 borderline), both AMD and Nvidia are overcharging.

We can't hate on Nvidia for releasing a better value 1080ti equivalent than both themselves and AMD have released in the past 12 months anymore than we can hate on AMD for the Radeon VII (blahblah its a prosumer card its not for games blahblah)

Caporegime
I agree but in the same breath, surely AMD were also taking the mick with the Radeon VII price vs performance too?
Lets call a spade a spade and say that both AMD and Nvidia at the high end are taking the mick.

For 1080ti+ performance (4k/60 borderline), both AMD and Nvidia are overcharging.

We can't hate on Nvidia for releasing a better value 1080ti equivalent than both themselves and AMD have released in the past 12 months anymore than we can hate on AMD for the Radeon VII (blahblah its a prosumer card its not for games blahblah)
Let's hate them both. Works for me! :p

But more importantly, let's not buy the bloody things!

No point in any of us grumbling if we then cave in and buy them anyway. Of course it's none of my business how you all spend your money. But if you don't like it and you buy anyway, then the upwards pricing trend is of our own making.

Associate
The problem started with the RTX Launch

People flocked to buy cards over a Grand - inflated prices with "it just works" when in reality it didn't

So soon after the mining boom where people were paying silly money for cards Nvidia milked people for what they could and for some Brand loyalists they just followed the Big Green machine

RTX has been a failure for consumers and anyone arguing that is just stupid or too pig headed to admit it.

The only reason those cards came today with new price hike was Navi

Now AMD are also to blame - the Radeon VII should have been £499 but greed and a New higher price point that people would pay enabled them to be greedy so Team Red also took the pee

And although Navi forced Nvidias hand it has justified the still over the top pricing because AMD were too greedy yet again

Associate
You make fair points and I guess my thinking was coming from previous card prices. I thought they were good but as you say, still £400 (ish) for a 2060 mid range card, which I paid for a 680 not that far back.

This pleases me - although I have read these forums for years and don't post a lot it's easy to see you have a preference for using the Green team - not that you haven't tried AMD or bought some to test or for others

The fact you changed your mind on the pricing when challenged showed other folk on here they should be open to changing opinions after thinking about stuff instead of blind loyalty

Good Job

Permabanned
Depends on Sunday.

Ideally I want to be able to get a 3900X and a Vega VII for £1000. But I don't think that's a possibility.
I'd get a 5700XT and 3900X for £850 If it was a possibility.

One.

I'm not married to either vendor.
I'm pretty much solid on getting a 3900X, but depending how I feel on the day may go 3800X.
However I want a better GPU than my Vega 64. If the 5700XT comes in at the right price point I'd be happy to buy it. But the 2070 super overclocked is offering the performance I want, just more expensive than I want.

Radeon RX 5700/XT with Ryzen 7 3700X should be your purchase. Total ~350-400 quid + 300 quid.

Associate

I agree, both AMD/Nvidia are overcharging. I personally don't care who makes the card, just release one that has great performance and is value for money.

Intel entering the dGPU market next year with Xe can only be a good thing for consumers as it'll add much needed competition to the GPU market.

The Intel cards might not be great, but at least they'll have a presence within the market.

Personally, i wouldn't spend a penny upgrading until next gen consoles arrive and as much as i don't like it, they'll set the benchmark for min/max requirements for next gen titles going forward.

Perfect time to upgrade imo will be 2021 onwards. More competition/new tech (GPU/CPUs) from Nvidia/AMD/Intel on PC, HDMI 2.1 GPUs will have hit the market too, Ray Tracing performance will be increased, 4K/VRR/HDR compatible TVs will be available and less expensive.

Until then, i can play through my 400+ backlog across Steam, GOG, Origin, etc.

Soldato
I agree, both AMD/Nvidia are overcharging. I personally don't care who makes the card, just release one that has great performance and is value for money.

Intel entering the dGPU market next year with Xe can only be a good thing for consumers as it'll add much needed competition to the GPU market.

The Intel cards might not be great, but at least they'll have a presence within the market.

Personally, i wouldn't spend a penny upgrading until next gen consoles arrive and as much as i don't like it, they'll set the benchmark for min/max requirements for next gen titles going forward.

Perfect time to upgrade imo will be 2021 onwards. More competition/new tech (GPU/CPUs) from Nvidia/AMD/Intel on PC, HDMI 2.1 GPUs will have hit the market too, Ray Tracing performance will be increased, 4K/VRR/HDR compatible TVs will be available and less expensive.

Until then, i can play through my 400+ backlog across Steam, GOG, Origin, etc.

Yeah a third player is much appreciated. I think once we hit the 4k/60fps with a variable refresh rate standard @mid range prices, there will be far less point in chasing the high end for anyone who isn't an ultra competitive gamer and I can't wait.

Having to feed an ultrawide or 4k screen is just like owning a high end sports car at the moment :(

Soldato
Let's hate them both. Works for me! :p

But more importantly, let's not buy the bloody things!

No point in any of us grumbling if we then cave in and buy them anyway. Of course it's none of my business how you all spend your money. But if you don't like it and you buy anyway, then the upwards pricing trend is of our own making.

Honestly the RTX lineup of cards was one of the worst and overpriced lines I've ever seen. Sadly I'd been rocking a GTX 670 for a long time so I was really due an upgrade and I had a 4k screen.. so I bought at the worst time possible.

I still think the best thing to do nowadays is just buy a GPU when you need one, as opposed to the upgrade bug everyone seems to get whenever an announcement is made.

Associate
AMD's new line up

RX 5950XT, RX 5950, RX 5900XT, RX 5900, RX 5850XT, RX 5850, RX 5800XT, RX 5800, RX 5750XT, RX 5750, RX 5700XT, RX 5700, RX 5650XT, RX 5650, RX 5600XT, RX 5600, RX 5550XT, RX 5550, RX 5500XT, RX 5500, RX590XT, and RX 590. :eek:

Associate
AMD's new line up

RX 5950XT, RX 5950, RX 5900XT, RX 5900, RX 5850XT, RX 5850, RX 5800XT, RX 5800, RX 5750XT, RX 5750, RX 5700XT, RX 5700, RX 5650XT, RX 5650, RX 5600XT, RX 5600, RX 5550XT, RX 5550, RX 5500XT, RX 5500, RX590XT, and RX 590. :eek:

I don't think we'll see that many to be honest, but these days never say never I suppose.

Caporegime
Don't think many of those are real cards. For starters, what would the 590 XT be? The 590 is already pushing Polaris to the absolute limit. 480 -> 580 -> 590 they've barely been able to increase perf, but have just about managed at the cost of going way beyond the perf/watt efficiency sweet spot.

There's really no room left in the tank for a 590XT. No disabled bits to be switched on; no more clock speed since we're riding on the absolute limit anyhow.

Seems funny tho that Sapphire wouldn't be talking to AMD and know exactly what cards are coming, by now at least.

Soldato
AMD's new line up

That's just all the names they've registered. Companies always do this just in case they need the name.

Sony has already registered Playstation 6, Playstation 7 and Playstation 8 - even though their CEO said the Playstation 5 might be the last "playstation" depending how the future develops

Back
Top Bottom