• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RTX2070 Super and RTX2060 Super review thread

Associate
Thanks Nvidia for screwing over the existing RTX owners! :mad:

Tech gets updated. Performance filters down the price points. We all knew we were Beta testers. I'm still happy with my 2080. It's still faster then a 2070 Super, and I've had it for 8 months or so which isn't a bad amount of time for the price premium. Especially as I would have got a lot less for my old 1070 if I tried to sell it today rather than 8 months ago which goes some way to balancing out the difference.

Soldato
Thanks Nvidia for screwing over the existing RTX owners! :mad:

How? you wanted nvidia to stagnate their entire line just so that we RTX adopters can feel happy with our purchase for a little while longer?

I've owned a 2080 since near release. I'm fairly happy with the card. Its not obsolete by any means and is basically neck and neck with the 2070/1080ti. Its life.

The rule of thumb with GPUs IMO is buy when your current one no longer fits the bill. Then you're never dissapointed. Its not NVIDIA's fault if people get the upgrade bug and throw their money away and then regret their purchases.

I'm keeping a keen eye on the 2080 super for a second rig although I think maybe the 2070 super makes more sense. Graphics card prices are finally hitting the 400 pound mark for decent performance again.

Associate
Just read the PC Gamer review of the 2060 Super and 2070 Super. Pretty sloppy reviews: in the rush to get an article published they completely skipped raytracing performance where they outpace the prior standard models more significantly. The guru3d reviews were much more thorough. Still the same conclusions overall though: better performance than the prior model above in the case of the 2060 Super and almost as good as the prior model above for the 2070 Super

Soldato
How? you wanted nvidia to stagnate their entire line just so that we RTX adopters can feel happy with our purchase for a little while longer?

I've owned a 2080 since near release. I'm fairly happy with the card. Its not obsolete by any means and is basically neck and neck with the 2070/1080ti. Its life.

The rule of thumb with GPUs IMO is buy when your current one no longer fits the bill. Then you're never dissapointed. Its not NVIDIA's fault if people get the upgrade bug and throw their money away and then regret their purchases.

I'm keeping a keen eye on the 2080 super for a second rig although I think maybe the 2070 super makes more sense. Graphics card prices are finally hitting the 400 pound mark for decent performance again.

Three reasons;

1. The Super cards are what they should have launched with.
2. This is one of the fastest refreshes Nvidia have done as far back as I can remember. I am fully aware that these cards lose value in time, but normally you get at least a couple of years out of them before the model is obsolete.
3. They are still selling the now obsolete RTX cards at higher prices, they should have dropped the price of these cards when they knew they were going to supercede them.

Existing owners simply wound up with a more expensive card that is now EOL, 12 months after launching. It's not a good thing for existing RTX owners.

If it wasn't for the AMD launch, I am sure Nvidia would have been quite happy to "stagnate the line" as you put it for as long as they could.

I needed a more powerful card because my current one wasn't cutting it at 3440 * 1440.

Caporegime
Three reasons;

2. This is one of the fastest refreshes Nvidia have done as far back as I can remember. I am fully aware that these cards lose value in time, but normally you get at least a couple of years out of them before the model is obsolete.
3. They are still selling the now obsolete RTX cards at higher prices, they should have dropped the price of these cards when they knew they were going to supercede them.

Existing owners simply wound up with a more expensive card that is now EOL, 12 months after launching. It's not a good thing for existing RTX owners.

If it wasn't for the AMD launch, I am sure Nvidia would have been quite happy to "stagnate the line" as you put it for as long as they could.

I needed a more powerful card because my current one wasn't cutting it at 3440 * 1440.
nVidia isn't your friend. They aren't selling GPUs to make you or me happy.

They just want cold hard cash.

They'd screw you and your dog for more money. That's why loyalty to any tech company is beyond silly.

nVidia's greed even made Sony and Microsoft hostile to them, lol. So it's not just you they want to screw over. It's everyone!

Soldato
nVidia isn't your friend. They aren't selling GPUs to make you or me happy.

They just want cold hard cash.

They'd screw you and your dog for more money. That's why loyalty to any tech company is beyond silly.

nVidia's greed even made Sony and Microsoft hostile to them, lol. So it's not just you they want to screw over. It's everyone!

I know, but the above poster asking why I wasn't happy with it wanted an answer, I think as a rule I am allowed to be unhappy with something even if not everyone agrees with me! :D

Soldato
Three reasons;

1. Agreed
2. Nah. I don't think Nvidia should hold back on release cycles just so out cards hold a bit more value. If you're investing your money in graphics cards, mining aside, you're doing it wrong.
3. I don't get t his point. You cry that your card has lost value but you want them to sell them cheaper?

Its called being an early adopter man. I don't get what big surprise there is.
Yeah I'm sure Nvidia would have stagnated their line if there was no competition.

Once again, Nvidia releasing slightly better cards with 15-20% doesn't make your card obsolete. In the tech business, waiting is almost always better and GPUs are easily the worst value for money part of your setup which will get oudated the quickest.

Your monitor, sound system, wifi card, processor, motherboard, ram, hard drive, SSD, PSU, will all provide far more longevity and value than a GPU.

Soldato
1. Agreed
2. Nah. I don't think Nvidia should hold back on release cycles just so out cards hold a bit more value. If you're investing your money in graphics cards, mining aside, you're doing it wrong.
3. I don't get t his point. You cry that your card has lost value but you want them to sell them cheaper?

Its called being an early adopter man. I don't get what big surprise there is.
Yeah I'm sure Nvidia would have stagnated their line if there was no competition.

Once again, Nvidia releasing slightly better cards with 15-20% doesn't make your card obsolete. In the tech business, waiting is almost always better and GPUs are easily the worst value for money part of your setup which will get oudated the quickest.

Your monitor, sound system, wifi card, processor, motherboard, ram, hard drive, SSD, PSU, will all provide far more longevity and value than a GPU.

Because I only picked mine up a few months ago, I haven't had the benefit of using it for a year, it's been 3-4 months. I do not call this being an early adopter so I can't really claim that benefit.

You may be OK with the bait and switch, but I am not.

This conversation isn't really going anywhere so let's just agree to disagree, you can't change my mind and I doubt I can change yours even if I wanted to.

Caporegime
Because I only picked mine up a few months ago, I haven't had the benefit of using it for a year, it's been 3-4 months. I do not call this being an early adopter so I can't really claim that benefit.

This conversation isn't really going anywhere so let's just agree to disagree, you can't change my mind and I doubt I can change yours even if I wanted to.

Buying overpriced tat as in the 2080 series and then being unhappy is an oxymoron.

Soldato

Ah I always follow the trend of either buying tech as an early adopter or EOL. Mid-cycle it always stings.

Back
Top Bottom