It's raining men

Soldato
@Acme
I find it incredibly bleak that people are evidently bemused that someone would be so ignorant to do something this dangerous.

At least you lot are in the privileged position to know better.

This is the part that just about nobody realises, in the sense of just how much distance there is, between someone laughing about this from their own computer, most likely surrounded by comfort, resources and safety in the UK. Compared to somebody so desperate and poor that they'd dare either do this, or probably be conned out of every penny they own by someone who told them it would work and smuggled them through the airport.

I doubt anybody who lives a normal life in the UK would ever be able to understand just how good we have it, and how only a few thousand miles away - millions live on the verge of death, in hellish conditions.

Of course, I'm not asking that the UK should open all it's borders and allow everybody in, or try to solve all the poverty in the world - I suppose all I'm really wishing, is that maybe things like this should make us stop and think for a moment, about how lucky we are, because it's beyond words quite frankly..

Soldato
I’ve always thought of gallows humour as a way of dealing with something we find uncomfortable, not a means for bigoted little Englanders to get away with posting their Stone Age views on the internet by appending a winky face.

Soldato
Permabanned
OP

Illegal immigration in Mendota is at such a huge level the people are pleading for the mayor to try and make the place another (high crime, high poverty) "Sanctuary City"
Some would say it's California's worst city BECAUSE of the huge illegal immigration of low skill Latino workers.... Well over half the residents are Salvadoran, and many are living under deportation protection orders. There's hardly any legitimately there, fully employed Americans in the place. It'll get better when the President gets them shifted. And gets the Wall built.

Soldato
@AcmeLooking at the photo, he asked, as a genuine question: “where do you keep your cows?”. Then it boggled his mind that her family did not own any cows.

That’s the headmaster of a school. Let that sink in.
some people in this country, in high position jobs in ALL trades, believe in a god.
let that sink in.

Soldato
I'm just getting old, cynical and bored by this constant contest of who can virtue-signal the most. I'm not sure if people get some sort of dopamine hit from it all or not.

I think most sensible people are aware of how incredibly lucky they are to live in a country like ours. However I'm not going to pretend I'm "heartbroken" by every piece of news like this just to seem right-on and like I'm an amazing human being (I'm not).

The reality is I can see the tragedy in stories like this but in the grand scheme of things I can't genuinely say that it upsets me as I have no frame of reference - therefore I'll indulge in a little gallows humour now and then. After all, that's pretty much what the Darwin awards are. Thanks. :)

Caporegime
You don't need to be ******* heartbroken to be compassionate and if you aren't being compassionate, then gallows humor turns into a crass comment with zero value, it's supposed to be a sarcastic bridge to cheer people up, not laugh at someone's misfortune. (though some people will never see it as anything other than offensive)

The only reason this particular event get's a pass is the ridiculousness, rarity and low-impact on others it has.

It should still be in a tone of respect however for the victim, however misguided they were, for being this desperate to escape.

Last edited:
Soldato
It should still be in a tone of respect however for the victim, however misguided they were, for being this desperate to escape.

Its been pointed out in this very thread that people, more often men, will do some, objectively, very stupid things to seek material enrichment when they are actually desperate or not.

Kenya has its issues, mostly on the border with Sudan but it is not generally a country that someone would need to flee because their immediate life depended on it.

In the time its taking me to type this post it's likely at least one newborn child has died for want of access to something we take as grated as clean water. So I'm not going to get all glassy eyed over an adult male with the capability and positioning to sneak themselves into an international airport before boarding a plane.

Soldato
Soldato
You don't need to be ******* heartbroken to be compassionate and if you aren't being compassionate, then gallows humor turns into a crass comment with zero value, it's supposed to be a sarcastic bridge to cheer people up, not laugh at someone's misfortune. (though some people will never see it as anything other than offensive)

The only reason this particular event get's a pass is the ridiculousness, rarity and low-impact on others it has.

typical double standards from you. it needs compassion, this gets a pass, should still have respect. make your mind up. three contradictions in one post.

Soldato

This, comedy doesn't tend to work if it's punching downwards, unless it's tempered with some element of irony, or compassion or a kind of fourth wall breaking understanding that something horrific has been said (see Frankie Boyle), if you don't have any of those elements it's just cruel. I'm not overly bothered about how people conduct themselves in this regard, but the majority of the jokes read like a pack of feral teenagers tormenting a disabled kid, we just need one guy to totally cross the line and excuse it by saying "lol! Bantz!", that would be the cherry.

Diddums flipped somewhat on this one but honestly have a word with yourselves, black humour is great but maybe learn how it works first.

Caporegime
And that’s exactly why I flipped, glad I’m not the only one who can see the line between dark humour and crass. I love dark humour, I thrive on it but laughing at someone dying in such a tragic manner is just pathetic really.

Soldato
And that’s exactly why I flipped, glad I’m not the only one who can see the line between dark humour and crass. I love dark humour, I thrive on it but laughing at someone dying in such a tragic manner is just pathetic really.

perhaps others are not just assuming the 'tragic' circumstances you are?

The person who shimmied up a pole to steal metal from a pole in my example might similarly of not appreciated the danger they were putting themselves in.

The guy eaten by wild animals you scoffed at might of needed the money as a matter of life and death to pay for the care of a relative or a friend.

But suddenly were are supposed to take you as being sincere when you get all indignant over this?

Sorry it doesn't wash.

Caporegime
perhaps others are not just assuming the 'tragic' circumstances you are?

The person who shimmied up a pole to steal metal from a pole in my example might similarly of not appreciated the danger they were putting themselves in.

The guy eaten by wild animals you scoffed at might of needed the money as a matter of life and death to pay for the care of a relative or a friend.

But suddenly were are supposed to take you as being sincere when you get all indignant over this?

Sorry it doesn't wash.

You’re not that stupid so stop pretending.

Soldato
Bloke on my Facebook posted this:
'They’ve identified that bloke who fell out of the plane over Clapham as Amin Yaflowerbed.
Friends of the Kenya Airline victim have described him as a nice guy, very down to earth'

Everyone is going bonkers at him about it :p

I agree it's awful that people are driven to taking such actions. RIP.

Soldato
I doubt anybody who lives a normal life in the UK would ever be able to understand just how good we have it, and how only a few thousand miles away - millions live on the verge of death, in hellish conditions.

Of course, I'm not asking that the UK should open all it's borders and allow everybody in, or try to solve all the poverty in the world - I suppose all I'm really wishing, is that maybe things like this should make us stop and think for a moment, about how lucky we are, because it's beyond words quite frankly..

Oh do give over Kenya's not some war riven hell hole hit with massive oppression and desperate people escaping overwhelming oppression its an african country thats not as well developed as other places. They're simply economic migrants looking heading for somewhere where they've heard the streets are paved with gold. If they're jealous of other countries then maybe they should stay and build up their own rather than trying to break into another's illegally. Someone from the place said as much the other day.

Soldato
be interesting to know of all the posters wailing over the state of the poor Kenyans and are so concerned and distraught over them, have donated any money to help them out.

Back
Top Bottom