BBC pay: Men still dominate star salaries list

Soldato
Well if you barely watch it, then I guess we should just let a great British institution die...

Never mind their exceptional news coverage online and on TV, huge range of Radio stations inc BBC 6 Music and 5 Live, award winning podcasts such as the brexit cast and Kermode and Mayo.

I'm sitting here watching their extensive Glastonbury coverage right now. A week ago I finished Killing Eve Series 2.

scrap the license if people want the product they will pay....

Soldato
I don't understand why the BBC seems to want more money other than to pay these very high salaries. They have BritBox that is out in the US/Canada that they will start having people pay for it. They are joining forces with ITV to produce a service similar for here that we *might* have to pay for. They is also plans in place to make iplayer available worldwide for a subscription fee.

It seems to be a bad mix of a government body wasting funds crossed with a private company mentality were everyone thinks they should be paid top money. I mean, who of people born after the year 2000 remembers Lineker? I bet most of them have never seen him play, except on old England highlights. He was a good player. But its about time someone else got a chance.

Soldato
More politics of envy. The BBC is a public broadcaster operating in a world of private broadcasters, if they want to compete they need to pay market rates for their staff. Linker does a good job, if he wanted to go work at a private company he'd probably earn more, so that's the market rate for having him as a presenter. What do you do, let staff go every time they get to a point that you need to pay them a decent wage? Sounds like a great way to make low quality programming.

Soldato
Do you think sports commentary is a core/necessary competency, or should the Lineker money be spent elsewhere ? eg. on the quality of journalism and news reporting.
Bums on seats/viewing hours, should not be the success criteria, reduce the hours of output (unless they are also being sold abroad) cut another channel say. and improve quality.
Did the BBC suffer with the loss of Chris Evans, topGear, bake-off.

Soldato
More politics of envy. The BBC is a public broadcaster operating in a world of private broadcasters, if they want to compete they need to pay market rates for their staff. Linker does a good job, if he wanted to go work at a private company he'd probably earn more, so that's the market rate for having him as a presenter. What do you do, let staff go every time they get to a point that you need to pay them a decent wage? Sounds like a great way to make low quality programming.

I think its an exceptional wage for the BBC to be paying. The BBC shouldnt be competing with private companies. It has a wealth of its back catalogue and its name branding is far more known than any other UK broadcaster. The BBC should be a star maker. Big fee stars might want more money and go to Sky for example. But Sky's football programming is far more limited than the BBC coverage. So they might get more money but have less exposure.

I don't think people today watch match of the day because gary lineker is presenting it.

Looking at the list on the link below, the only 2 I'd get rid of would be Lineker and Evans (I think Even's as moved to Virgin Media radio now). I'd also put a cap on future salaries of £1,000,000. If someone wants more they can take a running jump.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/07/02/revealed-bbc-stars-earning-highest-salaries-2019/

Soldato
The celebs wages pale in comparison to the full financial story. Tldr, the BBC spends 5bn a year on something, not sure what as their content is ****

Soldato
like they mentioned this morning the amount of money some of the presenters get via 3rd party production companies is undisclosed..
In 2015, BT Sport extended its £35m-plus annual contract for Sunset + Vine to produce live coverage of Premier League and Champion’s League football and rugby union matches until 2018. The contract is considered to be the biggest live broadcasting contract in British television.
how much goes to their presenter or, since Vine do question time - went to Dimbleby ? not sure if we get to see total costs of bbc external productions, publi cinfo request ?

Does seem to be a disconnect with usa presenters Surprising Salaries Your Favorite News Anchors Earn | DirectExpose
that gives them tens of millions ... but maybe that is pro-rata for larger USA population/market.

Soldato
We seem to be in very strange times. There seems to be a personalisation of any issue these days, which identity politics is the main weapon.

I noticed in todays papers it shows a graphic of 5 women whos salary increased and 5 men whos salary decreased. So that's ok then if its women on the gravy train...

Soldato
so infuriating reading what these **** pots earn from our pocket
the bbc say the market dictates their wage , like if they all left the bbc they could get a higher wage
good let them try. they wouldn't get it though, it's just nonsense to justify their obscene pay packet

Soldato
Yeah go, but remember a good salary good love
Is hard to find
You got lucky babe
Yeah you got lucky
When Lord Hall employed I found you

edit : iuncidentally watching my first 5 minutes of the world cup semi - the bbc commentator referred to the player as fiesty ... perjorative or what. ?

Soldato
the bbc say the market dictates their wage , like if they all left the bbc they could get a higher wage
good let them try. they wouldn't get it though, it's just nonsense to justify their obscene pay packet

Agreed! It's the BBC - people would present MotD for free!

Soldato
She covers for Jeremy Vine sometimes on radio 2. I normally have to switch stations when this happens :p

Its telling who they're lining up as the replacements for the current (male) crew who are currently doing cover: Jeremy Vine: Vanessa Feltz, Ken Bruce: Jo Whiley, Chris Evans has gone but guess who his stand in was, and Simon Mayo... lets not go there. As for the saturday afternoon replacement for Zoe Ball is... lets just say Classic FM, Heart, or the local is getting a fair few more listeners of late I imagine.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Am i not on tune, as i dont see these pay packets as particularly large at all? These people are household names, of course they earn a few hundred k as a minimum. As cited above, Piers Morgan is on £22.5m at ITV and i believe Chris Evans had a big raise to go to Virgin.

Not seeing these as obscene at all, thousands of anonymous office workers doing boring normal jobs sit all over London on money approaching the bottom of this list, i'm one of them! Id expect household names to be on a lot more than me.

Back
Top Bottom