• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RTX2070 Super and RTX2060 Super review thread

Soldato
Because people will buy anyway, so why bother pushing the envelope? That's what market dominance leads to, stagnation.

Market dominance doesn’t explain AMDs stagnation tho. 1080ti performance at $699 years later. Vega performance at $450 years later etc

Associate
Market dominance doesn’t explain AMDs stagnation tho. 1080ti performance at $699 years later. Vega performance at $450 years later etc

AMD are in a totally different situation, whereby even if they innovate and push the envelope, consumers will still overlook them and go with Nvidia. What is their incentive in such a situation?

Caporegime
AMD are in a totally different situation, whereby even if they innovate and push the envelope, consumers will still overlook them and go with Nvidia. What is their incentive in such a situation?

But AMD have no history of sustained innovation and pushing the envelope lol.
You can't just say this stuff because it's not true.

Ryzen has proven AMD's name isn't mud.

Associate
But AMD have no history of sustained innovation and pushing the envelope lol.
You can't just say this stuff because it's not true.

Ryzen has proven AMD's name isn't mud.

AMD is not a household name for graphics cards, that's a fact. They have been playing second fiddle to Nvidia for years, and even when they have released a good product, people will still go out and buy Nvidia instead, even if that isn't the best bang for buck. You might disagree, but that doesn't change reality.

Caporegime
AMD is not a household name for graphics cards, that's a fact. They have been playing second fiddle to Nvidia for years, and even when they have released a good product, people will still go out and buy Nvidia instead, even if that isn't the best bang for buck. You might disagree, but that doesn't change reality.

If AMD produced consistently good products with good pricing people will buy them

Fact remains though that this hasn't happened and AMD haven't had consistency GPU wise.

Ryzen literally proves this

Soldato
I disagree. I don't think people aren't going to wait for AMD to announce another price drop pre-release. They'll just get NVIDIA.

As a buyer now with a new rig and a fairly open mind, I'd rather buy a 2070 to pair with a new AMD CPU than wait for AMD to decide how they're going to react.
Smart people will still wait for the dust to settle and see what AMD's going to do, then decide what to get.

I mean Nvidia literally just gave a huge middle finger to the people that bought 2060 and 2070 at launch, confirming what everyone was always suspected- they were in it to milk it.
If AMD produced consistently good products with good pricing people will buy them

Fact remains though that this hasn't happened and AMD haven't had consistency GPU wise.

Can't really compare the CPU scene with the graphic side or things, as people more tend to look at strictly value for money/price to raw performance and nothing else. Meanwhile, on the graphic scene there are lots more variables like values of "graphic features (such as RTX)" may they be genuine useful/benefitual or gimmicky is subjective matter.

"If AMD produced consistently good products with good pricing people will buy them"...vs "when Nvidia produce questionable performance product with higher pricing people will still buy them over AMD's offering" (1060 6GB vs RX580 8GB, 1050ti vs RX570), AMD just can't win that one. Many Nvidia users will ALWAYS find someway to justify buying Nvidia over AMD one way or the other, just because IT IS Nvidia.

The 2060 Super and 2070 Super should had been what Nvidia brought out in the first place, rather than performance that only matches previous gen at the same price point. The reason why Nvidia was bold enough to go backward have only 6GB instead of 8GB for the 2060 (a £320+ card) was because they KNEW even if despite all the whines and complains, people that always used Nvidia will still buy it as human nature resist/dislike change, and will stick with them regardless.

AMD is on the other hand is bringing new cards that are not only faster and more efficient and at a lower launch price than previous gen, yet somehow they end up being the loser and the laughing stock, just because Nvidia have successfully ruin their parade with the "Super OMGZ generous no longer ripping-off our users as much 2060/2070".

Last edited:
Soldato
I know but it was meant to be slightly before mid-cycle :eek:

Haha I know :(

Thats why I always buy tech on release now. I've been stung before trying to buy mid cycle and the truth is with how tech moves forwards, we just never know when the competition is going to rev up and push for another release.

The only tech products I hold fire on are VR ones where I know there will be teething issues. Even then I bought an Oculus Quest and Rift S on release. I held off the Index because I feared hardware issues with the controllers out of the box.

With these Super GPUs, I estimate another 12 months before the next refresh. I think buying a GPU has to be a value proposition for yourself as opposed to trying to invest and then sell smartly to fund upgrades.

For example, the value of a 2080 aftermarket must surely be £450 to £500 now given the 2070s price. Then you factor in warranty etc., it just kinda sucks. But I'll be holding onto my 2080 anyway as to me it seems to be the second best GPU on the market and thats not going to change until the 2080 super comes out.

I personally excited though. I'm glad tech is now being pushed forwards and 4k is becoming more and more attainable for everyone.

Soldato
Smart people will still wait for the dust to settle and see what AMD's going to do, then decide what to get.

I mean Nvidia literally just gave a huge middle finger to the people that bought 2060 and 2070 at launch, confirming what everyone was always suspected- they were in it to milk it.

Can't really compare the CPU scene with the graphic side or things, as people more tend to look at strictly value for money/price to raw performance and nothing else. Meanwhile, on the graphic scene there are lots more variables like values of "graphic features (such as RTX)" may they be genuine useful/benefitual or gimmicky is subjective matter.

"If AMD produced consistently good products with good pricing people will buy them"...vs "when Nvidia produce questionable performance product with higher pricing people will still buy them over AMD's offering" (1060 6GB vs RX580 8GB, 1050ti vs RX570), AMD just can't win that one. Many Nvidia users will ALWAYS find someway to justify buying Nvidia over AMD one way or the other, just because IT IS Nvidia.

The 2060 Super and 2070 Super should had been what Nvidia brought out in the first place, rather than performance that only matches previous gen at the same price point. The reason why Nvidia was bold enough to go backward have only 6GB instead of 8GB for the 2060 (a £320+ card) was because they KNEW even if despite all the whines and complains, people that always used Nvidia will still buy it as human nature resist/dislike change, and will stick with them regardless.

Yes and no. If AMD do indeed respond with a price cut, then its a given they've been trying to milk everyone too.

I don't know why AMD are painted as this hero in the GPU world. In the CPU world, they're amazing. But every AMD GPU release just screams to me "I want a slice of that pie too" with the way they price and set their products. They know the have a loyal fanbase of AMD followers who have freesync monitors would rather wait for what they release.

Nvidia did what they wanted to last year with the RTX lineup and I can't blame them given the mining craze. They just took advantage of the situation.

Nvidia can afford to skimp on the GPU VRAM because sadly they have the best performance. I'm annoyed my 2080 only has 8GB of VRAM [but then again, I've never been bottlenecked by it]. But Nvidia know AMD at the time were offering nothing comparable.

And even when they did, the Radeon VII was an overpriced joke just like the RTX cards.

At the high end AMD and Nvidia are laughing at all of us.

Edit: Waiting for AMD is just not a viable solution for me if I want to buy a GPU today. AMD keep arriving late to the party. They don't have a product to compete with the 2070 super at its price point and why should I wait 4-6 months for AMD to release a product which is £50 cheaper than the 2070 super without RTX?

Associate
nVidia isn't your friend. They aren't selling GPUs to make you or me happy.

They just want cold hard cash.

They'd screw you and your dog for more money. That's why loyalty to any tech company is beyond silly.

nVidia's greed even made Sony and Microsoft hostile to them, lol. So it's not just you they want to screw over. It's everyone!
So true! I'm sitting on 1080ti SLI and have warranty until March 2020 so hopefully we'll see a viable upgrade (economically and performance wise)
by then. I want 50% faster for £1000 maximum. That's how things used to be before Nvidia launched their Sitzkrieg on GPU performance per £/$.

Soldato
Anyone who buys an expensive GPU without checking what’s round the corner gets no sympathy from me...and that’s on top of buying a 2080 anyway.
I don't think anyone who bought a recent rtx card is the type to care, just normies really, no research before buying and are now just enjoying their games, no harm done :)

Associate
Because I only picked mine up a few months ago, I haven't had the benefit of using it for a year, it's been 3-4 months. I do not call this being an early adopter so I can't really claim that benefit.

You may be OK with the bait and switch, but I am not.

This conversation isn't really going anywhere so let's just agree to disagree, you can't change my mind and I doubt I can change yours even if I wanted to.
Nvidia have been baiting and switching and doing all sorts of underhand things for the past 20 years. They have zero moral compass and exist only to grow and take!
I just hope to God that Intel and AMD can somehow reverse them bending us all over and us thanking them for the opportunity.

Associate
Tech moves quickly just enjoy your card....PC hardware is not an investment...Its a user experience...If you are happy with the performance for the cost why are you miffed?

You wouldn't have bought the card in the first place if you thought the cost was too high for the price....

I myself bought a 1080ti EOL...3 years later the 2070 super comes out and the 1080 ti still beats it in certain games....

@Gibbo can say what he wants...the 2070 super offers 1080ti performance for 500 quid 3 years later....The GFX market is stagnant and it doesn't matter what badge you attach to it.
Yep, the idea that 1080ti performance for £475 is somehow the 'bargain' of the century over two years later is laughable. It's how things used to be before AMD 'left the building' with the GPU high end and
people decided to reward Nvidia for their greed.

Associate

Hasn't the 1060 outsold the 580 and hasn't the 1050ti outsold the 570? AMD offer slightly (or allot) more performance and allot more VRAM but get out sold. How do you explain that?

Associate
I feel if the benchmarks are true that a 2070 SUPER offering near 1080Ti or pretty much 1080Ti performance for £500 is like the bargain of the century.
Lets remember the 1080Ti is a master class and absolute hulk in performance. :)
any info on when the pricing and pre orders will be announced @Gibbo ?

Caporegime
Hasn't the 1060 outsold the 580 and hasn't the 1050ti outsold the 570? AMD offer slightly (or allot) more performance and allot more VRAM but get out sold. How do you explain that?

This is the point about mind share.
AMD would need to be consistently doing better to get mind share.

It's easier to sell someone an AMD card if they're running an AMD card.

I've already said that it's not good enough just having the odd product here and there every now and again.

Soldato

Same with 2080 owners. Just goes to show they dont care about their customers once they have bought a product. Although they get way with it because they dont sell their product directly to the consumer apart from their direct sales channel.

This is just another rebadge yet in a more disguised way with extra sugary toppings - they could have put off the RTX release for another 11 months and brought these out as the correct product.

Just add rip-off to the end of "super"

Back
Top Bottom