Work issue, lunch breaks, would you be annoyed?

Soldato
I think I know the answer to this. So for about 3-4 years now I've worked at my place in central London which has a gym/swimming pool over the road. I go swimming 2-3 times a week in my lunch break which is lovely. I tend to eat lunch around 12, then go out 2.30-3pm and back by 3.30-4pm. Obviously you can't eat your lunch then nip out for a swim straight after :o

We had a couple of incidents in the last year or so, on a new project where execs needed my assistance and they couldn't get hold of me. So my boss has now said I can't go out that late, and I need to go somewhere between 12-2.30pm as that's a more acceptable lunch time.

To be honest, it's highly annoying. As I'm in central London the pool is much quieter after 2pm, all the times I've been at lunchtime/after work at peak times it's almost unbearable. To the point where after 3-4 years solid swimming I'm thinking it's probably not worth it.

So, man up and deal with it I guess? First world problems? :(

Associate
I think I know the answer to this. So for about 3-4 years now I've worked at my place in central London which has a gym/swimming pool over the road. I go swimming 2-3 times a week in my lunch break which is lovely. I tend to eat lunch around 12, then go out 2.30-3pm and back by 3.30-4pm. Obviously you can't eat your lunch then nip out for a swim straight after :o

We had a couple of incidents in the last year or so, on a new project where execs needed my assistance and they couldn't get hold of me. So my boss has now said I can't go out that late, and I need to go somewhere between 12-2.30pm as that's a more acceptable lunch time.

To be honest, it's highly annoying. As I'm in central London the pool is much quieter after 2pm, all the times I've been at lunchtime/after work at peak times it's almost unbearable. To the point where after 3-4 years solid swimming I'm thinking it's probably not worth it.

So, man up and deal with it I guess? First world problems? :(

Wow you are really hard done.

As you say just man up?

Soldato
Pretty standard, even on Flexitime contracts at places I've worked there are "core hours" that you have to be in the office.

I do see your frustration, as trying to get to the gym at lunchtime in London is hell.

Soldato
Could you not have your lunch break earlier and go for a swim then?

Edit: I guess the same issue would apply if they needed your help before 12.

Doesn't sound like there's a great deal you can do then.

Caporegime
Well ordinarily someone being funny about when you take your lunch break, if you're say doing project work etc.., is a bit of a jobsworth and can jog on tbh... However:

We had a couple of incidents in the last year or so, on a new project where execs needed my assistance and they couldn't get hold of me.

I think that is the fundamental bit, they're paying you for a job and you weren't available when they often need you to be. Are these Execs based in the US for example?

Presumably it wouldn't be an issue at a regular lunchtime because either they're at lunch too if UK based or they haven't got to the office yet if US based.

I'm just throwing in the US thing as the potential solution here, if that is a factor re: the times people are most likely to need to get hold of you, could be to go swimming in the morning before lunch like say at 11, they you perhaps benefit still from a quieter period at the gym and you're available when needed without making your team/boss look bad to the execs.

(granted I guess psychologically lot of people would prefer it to be later in the day, when you've done most of your work and don't have long left after your break)

daz

daz

Soldato
Can you not compromise somewhere in the middle?

It's probably not worth something fighting for, so if you want to swim then you'll probably have to fit it around what hours they need you in the office.

Soldato
Get yourself a waterproof smartwatch that'll alert you if someone calls when you're swimming and if it's one of the execs you can stop and deal with it.

Soldato
OP
Could you swim at 12 and then have lunch after? Pool quiet enough then?
That's what I'm going to try today. I guess I should give it a go before getting annoyed.

Oh dear you are hard off some of us have 30 min lunch break and thats it lol.....suck it up
And I got woken up by two voicemails and a text to my personal phone from my other boss in the US this morning. You don't know the half of it :)

You stop for lunch, and then 90 minutes later you stop again and go out the office for an hour long swim? I'd be sacked!
No I bring in lunch and work through whilst eating it. Then go out for my hour later.

I'm just throwing in the US thing as the potential solution here
We deal a lot with LA so I'm always mindful of being back for 4pm. My direct manager is based there. But we help support a platform and the incidents that came up is because even though we pay the vendor for support I'm still the go-to guy/friendly face in the office for assistance :( (Usually user error)

Soldato
See I don't think this is unreasonable from your company, they have issues and need you around 2.30 to 4pm and find you have taken your lunch break it's quite reasonable for them to request you take your lunch break between 12 to 2.30 to be available when required.

No I bring in lunch and work through whilst eating it. Then go out for my hour later.

I think if you kick up too much of a fuss you'll find they'll bring in a rule where you cannot eat at your desk (I've worked at a few companies who do this) and thus meaning to eat lunch and go for a swim will have to be done in the 1 hour period.

Soldato
It's not unreasonable for the company to want that, but a change to contract terms, even implied contract terms, needs consent of both parties.

Now I'd imagine OP doesn't want to kick up too much fuss on this issue, but you should all know your rights. Your employer isn't entitled to change work conditions like this.

Back
Top Bottom