• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RTX2070 Super and RTX2060 Super review thread

Soldato
Same with 2080 owners. Just goes to show they dont care about their customers once they have bought a product. Although they get way with it because they dont sell their product directly to the consumer apart from their direct sales channel.

This is just another rebadge yet in a more disguised way with extra sugary toppings - they could have put off the RTX release for another 11 months and brought these out as the correct product.

Just add rip-off to the end of "super"
The poor QC and high failure rate or the RTX cards also didn't help with the situation. Buyers basically paid a a high price premium to be the beta-testers for the RTX cards. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2070 Super is a much more reliable card than the 2080 and 2080ti.

The RTX launched was very clearly rushed, that Nvidia strategically targeted the periods/downtime before AMD launch their 7nm cards.

Last edited:
Associate
They may have created a rod for their own back as no one in their right mind would buy the next gen 30x0 straight away or whatever it will be called as they know full well in less than a year they may bring out a 30x0 "super"

the exact reason I felt peeeeed off when the titan XP came out a month after I bought the titan.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
So in short, where does this leave the existing RTX line-up? Are price cuts expected? Or are they simply going EOL so soon?

Soldato
Because people will buy anyway, so why bother pushing the envelope? That's what market dominance leads to, stagnation.

Well your half right, its stagnate as theirs no real competition, when a companies products are the clear market leaders wit nothing much in competition it leads to stagnation of progress and higher prices. AMD/ATI/Intel/Nvidia have all done this.

At least Turning got released offered some better performance and new features even if the pricing is poo poo. They could have cheapen out and Release die shrink pascal cards, would have been cheaper for them and they still be on top.

Only hope in shaking up the market I see is next year is Intel's Xe maybe.

Soldato
So in short, where does this leave the existing RTX line-up? Are price cuts expected? Or are they simply going EOL so soon?
2060 and 2070 are being EOL.

The resell value for those two cards will tank significantly, with the 2060 Super have 2GB more vram, and the 2070 Super will use the same TU104 as the 2080, rather than using the one tier lower TU106 chip same as the 2060.

Wonder how many people will wait for the stock of the 2060 and 2070 to run dry, then deliberately brick their card and get a Super card as warranty replacement as oppose to take the hit selling them at a much lower price in the 2nd hand market

Soldato
AMD are in a totally different situation, whereby even if they innovate and push the envelope, consumers will still overlook them and go with Nvidia. What is their incentive in such a situation?

Tell that to the loads of people who dumped Intel CPU's for Ryzen's, make a clearly better product and market it well and people will buy it,

Soldato
But there is always something new around the corner. If you took that attitude, you wouldn't purchase a thing.

I think the word you need to think about is "new" here. The Supers are not actually new cards in the sense its something entirely new like 1xxx to 2xxxx.
Given what you know now would you have bought a 2080 knowing a 2080 super was due 11 months later ? I would have not. Only thing that got me to buy one was the price I got for 1080ti and the good price I got on the 2080. Price was the common theme on my purchase which is getting harder.

I can see many people on here seeing the 3xxx release and holding off for a bit whereas before they would have just bought it.

Reason I dont feel totally bad is that the 2080ti owners going to get a massive kick in the teeth soon spending £1000+ on a card that is going to get a 2080ti super release which is a better card than theirs !

Last edited:
Don
The poor QC and high failure rate or the RTX cards also didn't help with the situation. Buyers basically paid a a high price premium to be the beta-testers for the RTX cards. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2070 Super is a much more reliable card than the 2080 and 2080ti.

The RTX launched was very clearly rushed, that Nvidia strategically targeted the periods/downtime before AMD launch their 7nm cards.

I thought the 2080 was fine and it was the Ti that was the issue? Of course instances of failures of the 2080's will of occured but they seemed to be in the realm of normal failures.

Associate
I thought the 2080 was fine and it was the Ti that was the issue? Of course instances of failures of the 2080's will of occured but they seemed to be in the realm of normal failures.

There was nothing normal about it. I've only had one failed GPU, and that was a GeForce 9800 GX2 many years ago. To have a brand new card DoA is a sign of extremely poor or virtually non existent QC.

Caporegime
There was nothing normal about it. I've only had one failed GPU, and that was a GeForce 9800 GX2 many years ago. To have a brand new card DoA is a sign of extremely poor or virtually non existent QC.
As a frequent user here, I tend to see a lot of threads with people having cards DOA and getting them exchanged from both camps. There will always be an element of failure in such a mass produced market.

Associate
As a frequent user here, I tend to see a lot of threads with people having cards DOA and getting them exchanged from both camps. There will always be an element of failure in such a mass produced market.

I'm not so sure about that, I saw a lot of 2080 failures just on this forum alone, to say nothing of some of the others I frequent. I wouldn't be so quick to let Nvidia off the hook for it, as this is something that simply shouldn't happen at such a high price point.

Don

Cards from both vendors arrive DOA at times, this is life unfortunately. Now the Ti did seem to have a higher than expected failure rate due to the memory issues.

Not sure what your point is to be honest, that no failures should occur. Well that is never going to happen.

Associate
Cards from both vendors arrive DOA at times, this is life unfortunately. Now the Ti did seem to have a higher than expected failure rate to due to the memory issues.

Not sure what your point is to be honest, that no failures should occur. Well that is never going to happen.

Oh come on, it was big news for a while, the fact that it even made for a topic of discussion on tech sites shows that it wasn't normal. Obviously Nvidia wanted to talk it down, but I don't think they need consumers to do it for them. ;)

Back
Top Bottom