• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Something super is coming...

Soldato
Heh, I feel really naughty to start quoting all those bashing me in here, when pointed out that the MSRP of the 2070S wasn't going to be $400 but $500. (a $100 drop from the $600 MSRP of the FE).
But on the other hand I feel generous :D
Especially when Nvidia AIBs are doing the job for me, with EVGA 2060S at >$500 and 2070S at >$600 already.

Soldato
Heh, I feel really naughty to start quoting all those bashing me in here, when pointed out that the MSRP of the 2070S wasn't going to be $400 but $500. (a $100 drop from the $600 MSRP of the FE).
Especially when Nvidia AIBs are doing the job for me, with EVGA 2060S at >$500 and 2070S at >$600 already.

:confused: You have only posted seven times in this thread and not mentioned the price previously. You trolling so hard you're that confused :p

------------

Last edited:
Associate
Just thought of something that seems a little weird to me. Several reviews have said that nvidia will be discontinuing the 2070. The 2070 was a TU 106 with 2304 CUDA cores, the 2070 super is a TU 104. The 2060 super is TU106 with 2176 cuda cores. But that means they are now not selling TU106 cards with all the cores unlocked?

Associate
Isn't SLI scaling dead and has been for a long time? I think you're honestly better of just buying one card. Sure, it's cool to have two in a system but if it sucks, why bother? Just do what Rossi~ said

AFAICT from last time I checked into this, it's not 'dead' and a pair of 1070s could more or less match a Titan of that generation, in games that supported it. Which was most (but definitely not all) of the big names at the time.

In the future people seem to be moving to multi-GPU by default (look at the Mac Pro, nvidia's attempts at chiplets etc etc) so it may get a new lease of life at some point.

Soldato
Just thought of something that seems a little weird to me. Several reviews have said that nvidia will be discontinuing the 2070. The 2070 was a TU 106 with 2304 CUDA cores, the 2070 super is a TU 104. The 2060 super is TU106 with 2176 cuda cores. But that means they are now not selling TU106 cards with all the cores unlocked?
That's a good point mister!
Maybe a 2060 super ti? :D:D:D:D

Caporegime
I just looked at all your posts in this thread and not once have you mentioned the price at all :confused:

Associate
Now that Super is out is there any information indicating exactly how much faster 2080 Super is over 2080?

Well the % difference between 2060/2060s and 2070/2070s seems to be between 10% & 20%. Lets call it 15% for ease...I cant see the 2080s being 15% faster than a 2080 or its virtually treading on a 2080ti's toes, providing you are playing a game happy with 8gb rather than 11gb vram.

Soldato
So disillusioned by current state of GPU's, and lack of new games that would be even worthy of such mental prices. I'm passing on my newer GPU's and going old school a used cheap GPU until later on possibly next year, when GPU's hopefully regain worthy performance jumps and prices.

Prices, lack of progress has killed excitement for new GPU's for me atm (A once serial up-grader). The plus side is older cheap used GPU's can crank out decent fps on games anyway xD.

What a crap state for GPU's to be in. GTX 1080 Ti came out what 2 years ago? Nothing really worthy from either camp to move too. No real progress.

Hopefully in couple years with 7nm and newer architecture, ray tracing will be implemented well in games (Hopefully decent games) and the hardware will be able to run it at higher than 1080P xD.

If a 2080 Ti super could do ray tracing at 1440P I would be interested, but then the price would likely kill that interest anyway xD

Big load of meh this gen..

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I agree but in the same breath, surely AMD were also taking the mick with the Radeon VII price vs performance too?
Lets call a spade a spade and say that both AMD and Nvidia at the high end are taking the mick.

Lets face it. Judging by the herd and a nice proportion of people even on here, it doesn't matter what AMD put out as too many people stick with nvidia. You could get a release that is neck and neck in price and spec, games similar framerates but people will still side with nvidia just.. because.

If it wasn't for the mining flexibility AMD would have had a worse time in the last couple of years making sales. They need to improve yes but they cant do miracles, simple stop buying nvidia products if you can do without and you will see the market change.

Caporegime
Lets face it. Judging by the herd and a nice proportion of people even on here, it doesn't matter what AMD put out as too many people stick with nvidia. You could get a release that is neck and neck in price and spec, games similar framerates but people will still side with nvidia just.. because.

If it wasn't for the mining flexibility AMD would have had a worse time in the last couple of years making sales. They need to improve yes but they cant do miracles, simple stop buying nvidia products if you can do without and you will see the market change.
I disagree. Look at what AMD has done with the CPU side of things and brought out performance at a decent price. Sadly with the GPU front, it isn't even close however, if they did the same as the CPU division, people will buy AMD. I find only people who can't see past bias tend to think like you!

Man of Honour
Owning a 1080 Ti I still don't feel any need to upgrade to a 2xxx card. I did spot a 2080 Ti yesterday for around £570 new and I was about to buy then I talked myself out of it. I think it was a pricing error as it's back to over £1000 now. Kinda wish I would have given it a go but my mate just went from a 1080 Ti to a 2080 Ti and thinks he's getting 15-20 % better performance which doesn't really warrant the RRP IMO.

Soldato

I hate this line of thinking people put out. "It doesn't matter what AMD put out". For anyone at the high end, AMD have been non existent apart from their 24-month-late-1080ti contender (which ended up being more expensive than a 1080ti).

This is an enthusiast forum where obviously people will gravitate towards the company which caters towards the higher end of gaming with the best experiences.

Why should we stop buying graphics cards with the best performance when we want the best performance? I want 4k gaming and ultrawide 1440p gaming at a decent FPS. I'd like to be able to delve into features like RTX for a window into the next level of lighting engines for AAA games which consoles will probably get in a couple of years time.

Sure Nvidia are charging a premium and to hold off buying Nvidia stock to allow price adjustments is fine.

But I'm not going to stop buying GPUs so AMD can try and play catchup when at every oppurtunity in the GPU side of things, they've looked to take a healthy slice of the pie too despite their products being commonly later, similarly priced and sometimes even inferior.

____

My next build is an AMD CPU most likely. They've made great strides there and been competitive with pricing, awesome with upgradability and commitment to sockets/platforms. They don't mimic this in GPU land.

The fact AMD got little to no flack for the over priced 24 month too late Radeon VII with god knows how much VRAM which none of us will ever use outside of prosumer applications whilst commanding a high fee is beyond me. Yet this forum is supposedely anti-AMD?

I think most users on this forum are anti-no one and just pro-themselves. We want the best products balancing the line between value and performance whilst remaining fairly cutting edge, whether its resolution, graphical or FPS.

Soldato
I disagree. Look at what AMD has done with the CPU side of things and brought out performance at a decent price. Sadly with the GPU front, it isn't even close however, if they did the same as the CPU division, people will buy AMD. I find only people who can't see past bias tend to think like you!
I disagree. AMD have had numerous products over the years that have been extremely competitive on both price and performance (like the RX 470/570/480/580 for example), yet they've still been massively outsold by their Nvidia counterparts. It "isn't even close" if you only choose to limit yourself to the ultra high end in order to suit your argument. Even then AMD had very competitive products (and often significantly cheaper - the $549 290X vs the $699 780 Ti for instance) prior to Maxwell in the high end market, yet were still massively outsold by Nvidia. Even during the Thermi era Nvidia sold more, and those cards were absolute trash. It has nothing to do with value or performance, and everything to do with what's on the box.

Back
Top Bottom