• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RTX2070 Super and RTX2060 Super review thread

Associate
I don't know why anyone who has bought already is complaining that Nvidia shafted them. It was obvious this line of cards was a rip off from Day 1 & me & half of OCUK members have spent the last 9 months berating it on the forums.

Just look at the price/performance of how it compares to the previous generation. Basically hasent budged one bit. If you bought it's your own fault for not seeing the obvious and turning a blind eye to the hundreds of members on this forum complaining about the situation.

For us that stood firm against this joke launch Nvidia has at last tried to make it a bit more palatable. But again lets be honest, as easyrider loves pointing out and myself, excluding raytracing (which it arguably can't do to an acceptable level), you are basically getting gtx1080ti performance for gtx1080ti price 2.5 years later. If u didnt buy then, why buy now? You may as well wait longer for an actual worthy successor, as ultimately buying now is like admitting defeat, u could have had this performance for last 2 years.

This rtx2070 super should be £399 & not a penny more.

Last edited:
Associate
For us that stood firm against this joke launch Nvidia has at last tried to make it a bit more palatable. But again lets be honest, as easyrider loves pointing out and myself, excluding raytracing (which it arguably can't do to an acceptable level), you are basically getting gtx1080ti performance for gtx1080ti price 2.5 years later. If u didnt buy then u may as well wait longer as ultimately it's like admitting defeat buying what u could have had over 2 years ago.

Or.... just buy the card that is within your budget at the time and enjoy your games.

Caporegime
For us that stood firm against this joke launch Nvidia has at last tried to make it a bit more palatable. But again lets be honest, as easyrider loves pointing out and myself, excluding raytracing (which it arguably can't do to an acceptable level), you are basically getting gtx1080ti performance for gtx1080ti price 2.5 years later..
G7H2inP.gif

Soldato
This is the point about mind share.
AMD would need to be consistently doing better to get mind share.

It's easier to sell someone an AMD card if they're running an AMD card.

I've already said that it's not good enough just having the odd product here and there every now and again.

Yes, AMD need to make good GPUs consistently, that's the only way. Not one hit wonders or crazy price reductions.

And because of the market position they are in, their cards have to be almost perfect at launch, no stupid mistakes.

But, in fairness to AMD, they were surviving on a shoe string, so maintaining any kind of consistency was going to be tough. With the CPU front going well and some extra money to play with, I am hoping with Navi that they make their first in a long line of good cards.

Soldato
I couldn’t go 1080ti as my case is small, my psu is 450w and I OC my CPU.

I didn’t go 20 series as didn’t see the value.

A 2070 super might tip me over the edge as can’t see AMD doing better on power consumption

Associate
For us that stood firm against this joke launch Nvidia has at last tried to make it a bit more palatable. But again lets be honest, as easyrider loves pointing out and myself, excluding raytracing (which it arguably can't do to an acceptable level), you are basically getting gtx1080ti performance for gtx1080ti price 2.5 years later. If u didnt buy then, why buy now? You may as well wait longer for an actually worthy successor, as ultimately buying now is like admitting defeat, u could have had this performance for last 2 years.

How I look at it.

1080ti - Mar 2017 - £699
2080 - Sep 2018 [+ 18 mths] - £699 [+£0] Performance [+5%]
2070 Super - Jul 2019 [+ 28mths] - £475 [-£224] Performance [-5%]

This doesn't take in to account inflation or any fluctuations in the value of the £GBP. Clearly the 1080ti especially if purchased in 2017 has been very good value but the 2070 Super @ £475 does look like a move in the right direction. I guess the value people put on RT Raytracing and DLSS technologies on the newer cards could also be factored in.

Soldato
How I look at it.

1080ti - Mar 2017 - £699

This doesn't take in to account inflation or any fluctuations in the value of the £GBP. Clearly the 1080ti especially if purchased in 2017 has been very good value but the 2070 Super @ £475 does look like a move in the right direction. I guess the value people put on RT Raytracing and DLSS technologies on the newer cards could also be factored in.

I look at it the same, ISH. Depends on where in the life cycle of 1080ti you start. Either way 2070 super appears to be progress, if even a little.

Soldato
How I look at it.

1080ti - Mar 2017 - £699

RT and Tensor cores now exist which they didn't on the 1080 Ti so difficult comparison really as it's not all about sheer FPS now.
Pity Brexit continues to stick it to the GBP. With a stronger GBP the Super cards :) I think would be quite strong..almost super. The 2070 super must be about on par or better in sheer FPS than the 1080 Ti now + the extra Tensor and RT cores adding new capabilities

Last edited:
Caporegime

It'll be interesting to see how that translate to reviews.
Hopefully the thermals and acoustics are in check, because overclocking could be important based on how the 2070 overclock results put it above a 2080.

I'm super excited for Sunday, but I think if that picture is closer to reality, then AMD would only need to drop $50 to $400/£375.

Soldato
They may have created a rod for their own back as no one in their right mind would buy the next gen 30x0 straight away or whatever it will be called as they know full well in less than a year they may bring out a 30x0 "super"

I’ll buy a 3080ti on day one of its 50%+ faster

Soldato

Overclocks will be very key

We know the 2070 super is a beast overclocker that beats the FE2080 stock

This was demonstrated yesterday in the reviews. Just pop open msi afterburner and ads +150 to the core and that’s it done - the 2070 super is now faster than a stock 2080

Soldato
Overclocks will be very key

We know the 2070 super is a beast overclocker that beats the FE2080 stock

This was demonstrated yesterday in the reviews. Just pop open msi afterburner and ads +150 to the core and that’s it done - the 2070 super is now faster than a stock 2080

It's not a beast overclocker :D:D:D. The gains from what i seen were around 9%. That's enough to get it by the 2080 but at stock it was close enough anyhow. Cards like the gtx470/HD7950 were beasts with gains around 40%. You have to remember these super cards are running at 1900mhz straight out of the box. From what i seen they get up to around 2050mhz which is around 8% above normal and then a little more from memory overclocks.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not a beast overclocker :D:D:D. The gains from what i seen were around 9%. That's enough to get it by the 2080 but at stock it was close enough anyhow. Cards like the gtx470/HD7950 were beasts with gains around 40%. You have to remember these super cards are running at 1900mhz straight out of the box. From what i seen they get up to around 2050mhz which is around 8% above normal and then a little more from memory overclocks.
Not saying the 2070 Super is not a good card, but if people were to compare the spec between it and the 2080, they would quickly realise the 2070 Super is by default clocked/boosted to much higher level out of the box, to give it an illusion of how it is not much slower than the 2080. What they have done is pretty much what they did with the GTX760 vs the GTX670 back in the days.

Back
Top Bottom