Being obese causes cancer but...

Caporegime
Im not sure a tweet from some random dude (which got a whopping 8 retweets) is a sign that no one is allowed to point out that there is a link between obesity or cancer.

Indeed.

I watched an interesting video about something similar a while back. It was to do with Youtubers making videos claiming "SJW's" were getting outraged and using tweets that nobody retweeted and very few even saw as "proof" of the outrage.

See post here: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32150114

Soldato
It's counter-productive to make fat people feel bad about being fat, if your interest is really in helping them lose weight.

Very true, but equally, you can't hide from the fact that being overweight puts you at higher risk from many illnesses.

Getting the balance right is key - you don't want to constantly tell people being fat is bad, since most people probably already know that. Trying to make people feel good about being fat isn't the right way to go either.

Instead, we should be encouraging methods that help people lose weight, educate people on the importance of healthy eating, how to recognise sugar addiction etc

Soldato
Very true, but equally, you can't hide from the fact that being overweight puts you at higher risk from many illnesses.

Getting the balance right is key - you don't want to constantly tell people being fat is bad, since most people probably already know that. Trying to make people feel good about being fat isn't the right way to go either.

Instead, we should be encouraging methods that help people lose weight, educate people on the importance of healthy eating, how to recognise sugar addiction etc
Yes, agree. More of a priority for schools to teach healthy living (not just healthy eating).

Whilst it's not in my interest, as a slim person, I think there also needs to be moves from Government to start to ramp up taxes on unhealthy foods. They already do it for alcohol and tobacco. Encourage behaviour with the tax system. Sugar tax is a start

Unfortunately, it's a tax on the poor, which is a downer.

Soldato
Thing is, healthy food can be equally as quick and not even need cooking like salad and nuts or sashimi

Sadly those sort of things haven't got millions of pounds worth of advertising budget behind them unlike say McDonalds / Coca Cola.

Tax the crap and give new companies creating healthy fast food snacks a chance.

Associate
While being overweight or obese is going to cause health problem say it is a mayor factor in cancer from is a bit of a stretch.
From their figure of:
  • Bowel - Of around 42,000 new cases, being overweight or obese causes 4,800, smoking 2,900
  • Kidney - 12,900 in total; being overweight or obese causes 2,900, smoking 1,600
  • Liver - 5,900 in total; being overweight or obese causes 1,300 cases, smoking 1,200
  • Ovarian - 7,500 in total; being overweight or obese causes 490 cases per year, smoking 25
If obesity is so big a factor why is being overweight or obese the only a small amount of the cases?

Soldato
Unfortunately, it's a tax on the poor, which is a downer.

Such is life - nothing you can do to avoid it.

Sugar tax is a start

I don't think it's the answer - I'll still buy normal Coke, just have to pay more now, since I don't like Coke Zero/equivalent. For people that are addicted, they're just going to pay more. Time will tell, of course.

The only thing to do is force companies to stop producing the stuff, but as we know, that aint gonna happen :p

I miss Coke Life - perfect blend of less sugar but same taste; when chilled, it was just as good to me, but had a fair bit less sugar (which also happened to be of a natural source)

Soldato
While being overweight or obese is going to cause health problem say it is a mayor factor in cancer from is a bit of a stretch.
From their figure of:
  • Bowel - Of around 42,000 new cases, being overweight or obese causes 4,800, smoking 2,900
  • Kidney - 12,900 in total; being overweight or obese causes 2,900, smoking 1,600
  • Liver - 5,900 in total; being overweight or obese causes 1,300 cases, smoking 1,200
  • Ovarian - 7,500 in total; being overweight or obese causes 490 cases per year, smoking 25
If obesity is so big a factor why is being overweight or obese the only a small amount of the cases?
Yeah, other than liver cancer, it's not a huge figure. For comparison, smoking causes 7 in 10 lung cancer cases.

Soldato
The link between depression, or just unhappiness, and overeating is real. Not for everyone, but for many.

It's counter-productive to make fat people feel bad about being fat, if your interest is really in helping them lose weight.

I know what your saying but does making a fat/obese person feel good about being fat help them lose weight?

Ofc don't be a massive bell end for someone being fat/obese but you can't present its not an issue.

Constructive criticism, give some facts and support people to loser weight.

Don't celebrate being fat and ordering pizza from the 4 hospital beds they take up .

Caporegime
Theres one of those billboards outside my local chinese take-away. I found its placement highly amusing but also slightly depressing since I am a little on the large side and was on my way to pick up my chicken curry with egg fried rice, sweet and sour chicken balls, vegetable spring rolls, and prawn crackers. :( :D

Soldato
Dont fat shame people, but dont promote plus size people either. Fat models, fat mannequins etc are just stupid. Its like the old days, like advertising more doctors smoke Camels :rolleyes:

Soldato
Yes they contain a load of calories and sodium. Also I'm not sure how clean it is to have salad just sitting there. In the US, cyclospora parasite outbreaks in their resturants been linked to the salads.

I'm not sure if its still the case but I remember on Super size me the salad dressing on the salad lead to it having more calories than big Mac in McDonald's.

Soldato
So we tax the crap out of unhealthy foods and drinks... and then what? Like with smoking people move on to another vice and so it moves until everything’s banned and we’re boring.

Back
Top Bottom