• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

System restarting.

Associate
Hi,

Built my system (in sig) in December last year, not an issue since day 1. Temps and performance are great and system has been 100% reliable. CPU is currently at stock and GPU is not oc'd. Over the last week my system has been misbehaving. Had a few occasions where the fans spin up to what sounds like full and i lose connection to the monitor requiring holding down the power button to get it to switch off. Only happens under GPU load. Tonight i reseated the GPU and installed latest drivers. Now instead of spinning up the fans and losing connection to the monitor, it simply restarts the system when its under load (can happen immediately or 10 mins into a game). Temps are not an issue. Under heaven benchmark it does the same thing. Have stress tested the 9900K thoroughly tonight and it is fine. Only putting the RTX under load creates the issue. I am virtually positive the RTX itself is fine. I suspect PSU (ocz Modular 1000W... must be 7 years old by now). Anything else i should investigate before i throw some money at a new PSU?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi,

9900K at stock (4.7 across all cores)
Gigabyte Gaming RTX 2080 stock factory ovcerclock
16 Auros RGB Ram @3200Mhz
Gigabye Z390 Master
Windows 10 Up to date version.
ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q Monitor

Happens with every game or GPU stress test, soon as it's under load it restarts the system.

Man of Honour
Hi,

9900K at stock (4.7 across all cores)
Gigabyte Gaming RTX 2080 stock factory ovcerclock
16 Auros RGB Ram @3200Mhz
Gigabye Z390 Master
Windows 10 Up to date version.
ASUS ROG Swift PG348Q Monitor

Happens with every game or GPU stress test, soon as it's under load it restarts the system.

What's the PSU make and model?

Edit: ignore just seen your OP edit :)

Soldato
A seven year old 1000W PSU is where I'd start at, even if it eliminates from the equation.

You could try and monitor voltages, when parts in the computer pull a lot of power the voltages will drop. The main one to monitor is the 12V line, HWInfo will monitor it, if it drops too much then it can cause instability.

Associate
OP
Yeah i thought so too, new PSU arrived this afternoon so will be installing and hoping for the best. Will be gutted if it turns out not to be the PSU. Will leave the GPU or motherboard at fault but Ive suspected the PSU since this started so I'm hopeful. Will update post later.

Back
Top Bottom