Fighting rental company for repair charges

Soldato
OP
I'm hiring a car in Malaga later this month, my first time hiring abroad.

Went with a company that seems to be reasonably well reviewed - a couple of the really cheap ones were terrible. I'm a bit anxious about it, though have taken out comprehensive hire cover which, it says, covers me for any charges the hire company makes for damage.

The problem with this is they will still charge you and it’s then up to you to then claim it back from what I’ve read.

I’ve told my daughter and her friend to simply dispute the charge, with my credit card company they would normally send you a form to fill in but this company wants them to do the leg work.

Soldato
Rule 1 of renting/hiring/leasing: Make sure you get an accurate condition report, note all damage, all missing items and accessories supplied. Take photo’s where appropriate and do the same when handing back. On short term stuff, it’s all too common for minor damage to be re-attributed to multiple customers by unscrupulous companies who make more on the damage than they do on the rental.

I did a VT on a Leon Sport some years ago, it was sold to me by a non franchise local chain using a 3rd party finance provider. I notified them of my wish to terminate and returned the car as agreed. Months later I get a call out of the blue demanding £600+ for damage/missing items. I offered to provide evidence of the condition as returned, but they refused, so I printed photo’s covering items they had said were damaged/missing and sent them recorded delivery with a letter including a link to the album/HD video and geolocation data showing the time/date/location as the auctioneers car park with all docs present etc. I asked them to issue proceedings, explained i’d apply to transfer them to a local court and then counter claim for my costs. They folded like origami.

Compare that to the hand-back of a 2y/o leased Fabia a few weeks back to a franchise dealer, they didn’t even look at the car and were more interested in the Porsche I was heading back home in.

Soldato
One possible solution is to buy your excess insurance separately from a different reputable company. This will be cheaper and any issues it becomes a car hire company v an insurance company in which case they will rapidly back down with proper evidence or your claim will be paid out assuming you have not violated the terms of the insurance.

Back
Top Bottom