At a loss for dog rehoming in Scotland

Associate
This is a tentative post, I guess I'm seeking out ideas and suggestions. A relative is having to give up her dog, as she can't take care of it any longer due to ill health. She loves the thing so much as well, so it's tough.

She's not net savvy, so I'm trying to find where to advertise her dog, and I'm finding it hard to find a suitable place. There seems to be a lot of places selling/rehoming foreign dogs they have rescued, an awful lot of them about. Otherwise there are shelters offering dogs that they are currently housing. I'm having no luck finding anywhere for an individual to rehome a dog. Facebook does not have any groups local to her (she's in NE Scotland).

All I'm finding is 1 classifieds ads site, which I'm unsure about, or it's Gumtree, which is a definite no. You don't know who you're getting on Gumtree, some ******* looking for dogs to resell and take the profit (or worse (I've heard horror stories)).

I'd post her on my Facebook page, but I have no friends on it as I literally signed-up to it the other day to look for a group local to her, which there are none. There doesn't even seem to be a suitable one for Scotland as a whole even, as they are, again, catered to selling rescue dogs.

I'm at a bit of a loss, and thought I'd reach out here, as it's about the only forum I frequent really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
She's tried pets4homes for a while, no replies. Dogsandpuppies I hadn't seen, and looks positive at first glance. Freeads is the one classifieds I found, and is a posiibility. Petswebsite and preloved look inactive, the latter has no dogs in Scotland at all.

Appreciate the links though, the dogsandpuppies one looks good, as I say, at first glance.

Soldato
Is the dog a specific breed ?

Know a lot of people in rottie and bullie circles who have empty couches after losing furry friends

Associate
Lots of farmers in Scotland try advertising in an agricultural magazine or website based in scotland.

Associate
OP
Upon consideration, I'm suggesting she signs up to the freeads site, that site seems to be very active.

It's frustrating, there are so many sites and groups online for rescue dogs and dogs already in shelters, but for a private individual, the options are very limited. It's sad and stressful enough, without having to scour for a readily available resource.

Soldato
speak to a lass called Jade Martin, a dog behaviourist up in Dundee, she has a couple of collies and a LOT of contacts (she's from Dundee)

Permabanned
I sold our last two litters via Pets4Homes, they do not seem to attract the worst of humanity, and if she's going to suss out potential new owners and their homes she might do worse than a free private advert on their site. Good luck, a difficult decision for to have to take.

Caporegime
What's your guys thoughts on someone keeping dogs in a cage for the majority of their time? 24/7 , 365 days a year.

In back garden no matter what time of year? Be it 3 feet of snow or a heat wave. Caged up outdoors. It's a large cage maybe 6 foot tall and 6 foot by 4 foot.

The only time I've seen the owner interact with the dogs is to swear at them.

Soldato
Id
What's your guys thoughts on someone keeping dogs in a cage for the majority of their time? 24/7 , 365 days a year.

In back garden no matter what time of year? Be it 3 feet of snow or a heat wave. Caged up outdoors. It's a large cage maybe 6 foot tall and 6 foot by 4 foot.

The only time I've seen the owner interact with the dogs is to swear at them.

I'd say the owner should be in the cage and the dogs rehomed.

Back
Top Bottom