Secure Linux remote desktop

Soldato
We have a requirement at work to implement a secure remote desktop solution.

The company has some requirements tho.

1. Most Devs have a Linux box in the office, but it might also need to work with Windows.

2. They want someone to be able to access their PC in the office but so far all solutions actually wake up the screen and all activity is viewable on screen. So Ideally it would open up a separate session and not wake the monitor.

Nice to haves.

3. Session recording. I.e All terminal session could be logged.

4. Not able to extract data out of the system. (Probably not possible. SCP, copy paste and screen capture)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I don't know for Linux specifically. But at my company all our workstations are VDI's in a remote datacentre. Even when sat at my office desk it's just a thin client where we log into the VDI. So when I'm at home I also just use my PC to log into the same VDI. We connect to it using a web browse and Citrix Receiver. I don't think it works for Linux but I thought I'd throw it out there as something to look into more deeply.

You also need to consider security. Our system uses a challenge/response pin via an RSA token so only the VDI owner can actually get as far as trying to login.

Associate
Take a look at X2Go, it allows you to start a new X session. As far as I know it won't wake up the screen. Obviously it's X only so won't work with Windows or if your boxes are running wayland.

Back
Top Bottom