• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Something super is coming...

Soldato
If you want to guess at 2080 Super performance just have a look at the % gain the 2070 Super has from the 2070 in relation to the tier above i.e 2080.

The 2080 Super might just follow suit in relation to 2080 to 2080ti differential.

Associate
There's something very wrong with those numbers. The GTX 460 1GB released at $229. Adjusting for inflation that's $288 today.

Your numbers show the 4xx xx60 line at $300 in 2010.

Nice try, but these are made-up numbers, aren't they. Made up to make current prices look better; to give a flat line on a graph. But it's fake.

e: Additionally the graph makes no mention of the fact that nVidia has pushed the product stack upwards in terms of pricing, and downwards in terms of placement in the product stack.

Ie a 480 was the top card; a 2080 isn't. Above the 2080 there is not one but two more powerful cards.

So yeah. Crap graph.

I took all the numbers from the launch RRP on wikipedia. The prices are adjusted back to 2010, not the other way round. The 460 number is a typo, I typed 299 rather than 199. All other numbers are correct.

I have no agenda here (it's PC components for gods sake), just trying to bring some realism to the hysteria over pricing, when half of us seems to be living in 2010.

Associate
Corrected the one number on the chart that caused you to dismiss the entire point.

As I said in my original post, it shows the gap opening up in the £200-£250 area. Although this is plugged by the GTX 1660 Ti.

0qC63cB.png

Caporegime
Well then you've fallen for nVidia's product stack shuffle at the very least.

The 480 back then is not comparable to the 2080 today.

The 480 was the top card. Using the best chip and not cut down. The 2080 is the 3rd best card. Today it's not even using the best chip. And so on throughout the stack.

Man of Honour
To me it feels like the Supers were deliberately held back ready for the Navi launch. While that's great for nVidia it meant that early 2060, 2070 and 2080 adopters were sold cards which nV knew could have been faster and knew would be obsolete a short time later. It seems like they intentionally shafted their early customers to stick one to AMD (although no-one forced those customers to buy, of course).

Permabanned

The 480 was the top card. Using the best chip and not cut down. The 2080 is the 3rd best card. Today it's not even using the best chip. And so on throughout the stack.

True. GTX 1080 is just a fake name of what should be the 1060.
GTX 460 / GF104 was 332 sq. mm. Launch price 229$ https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-460.c265
GTX 1080 / GP104 was 314 sq. mm. Launch price 600$ https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1080.c2839

Associate

Hard to find a comparable benchmark, but here are some rough and ready numbers. And I really don't think Titans should be included in this discussion, they are not gaming cards.

AIPN3OH.png

Man of Honour
The 2080 super is an unknown quantity unless I've missed some benchmarks but you would be right. 2080tis will get no price drops, they are a hard card to justify on release and they're hard to sell now. I'm currently trying to balance whether to grab a 2070 super or a 2080 super for that resolution.

On one hand, having an extra bit of juice is always welcome but on the other hand, I really want to kick the habit of spending over £500 for a GPU and Nvidia are finally offering us that. I feel like I'm almost price gouging myself at that point if I pick a 2070 super over a 2080 super. I also don't feel like these cards which have the longest lifespan. Maybe 12 months at a push. Also I'm not sure how big of a difference the 2070 super and 2080 super will be. 10%? for £250?
What card do you have now?

Soldato
To me it feels like the Supers were deliberately held back ready for the Navi launch. While that's great for nVidia it meant that early 2060, 2070 and 2080 adopters were sold cards which nV knew could have been faster and knew would be obsolete a short time later. It seems like they intentionally shafted their early customers to stick one to AMD (although no-one forced those customers to buy, of course).

It's all a game of chess isn't it. If they had gone with Super at launch, this would have given AMD a known target to aim for with Navi and how would they have countered it now. Price cuts?

At least holding back (and why not if it is to your advantage) and then moving the goal posts once AMD's Navi is due is just tactical awareness.

If it was legal the opposition would move the goal posts in a football match every time a striker goes to shoot.

Man of Honour
It's all a game of chess isn't it. If they had gone with Super at launch, this would have given AMD a known target to aim for with Navi and how would they have countered it now. Price cuts?

At least holding back (and why not if it is to your advantage) and then moving the goal posts once AMD's Navi is due is just tactical awareness.

If it was legal the opposition would move the goal posts in a football match every time a striker goes to shoot they would.
Yes true. It's actually a smart business move by NVidia. Not great for their customers though and we should all learn from this that we don't buy a new nV card on first launch. Instead we should all wait for the AMD launch and expect an nV card around the same time. Then choose one.

Permabanned
Hard to find a comparable benchmark, but here are some rough and ready numbers. And I really don't think Titans should be included in this discussion, they are not gaming cards.

AIPN3OH.png

This is again fake. GTX 480 and GTX 580 is technically one generation, split by the marketing. The difference is just one minor revision of the Fermi chip.
GTX 680 and GTX 780 Ti is also technically one generation. GTX 780 Ti is the real GTX 680 Ti.

Edit: See how the *50 buyers got screwed over the generations - at some point they experience performance degradation :eek:

Also, nvidia was fair with GTX 280 and GTX 285. The latter was a shrunk to 55nm chip but the generation remained the same.
After that, something bad happened to them (and to AMD, for that matter) and they began jumping over the generation numbers like mad and like no tomorrow. Meh.

Last edited:
Associate
If you want to guess at 2080 Super performance just have a look at the % gain the 2070 Super has from the 2070 in relation to the tier above i.e 2080.

The 2080 Super might just follow suit in relation to 2080 to 2080ti differential.
If the 2080 Super follows the trend of the 2070 Super, the 2080Ti at its current prices becomes an even more pointless purchase than it was before.

Soldato
980ti upgrade to 2070S @ 3440x1440p ?

don’t go just on the fps readings the frametimes alone for the 2070s will be worth it. I can’t recall the graph completely but the frametimes for the 2070s are in a diffferent league at that res versus a 980ti. plus gysnc or freesync it will be a significant improvement in smoothness.

Soldato

100% correct. Nvidias naming of tiers has been shady yet they never got pulled up for it

Soldato

No question that was the plan, and in doing so they still managed to sell hobbled defective chips at inflated prices, whilst still keeping the prices up for all the tiers on the refresh, absolute genius.
I'm not sure why some gamers make themselves such an easy target for being mugged off at first generation, But maybe that's how modern society works.

Back
Top Bottom