• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Asus have honestly been awful for me and wont touch them. More so support and trying to get anything that isn't working sorted. In fairness to AsRock when I have spoken to them they have been reasonably helpful and pretty quick to help where can. Sometimes it has just been no sorry can't do X but at least I got an answer in 48 hours and not 4-6 weeks like Asus seem to like doing.

I would go Gigabyte but their Bios screen been awful for donkey years and all the VRM stuff they have pulled previous which leaves MSI, no idea on them as haven't tried tbh but that may well be where I put my monies next.

The problem with boards is that everyone moans about all of them to some degree. With asus it's normally failure or returns, gigabyte the poor bios, msi the sometimes cheap parts with heavy marketing and asrock it's normally the bugs in bios or complexity of it all. Graphics cards are much easier to pick from as all it comes down to is cooler, warranty and returns. Even power delivery is less important now given the way boost works.

If you're on b450 and can drop in the upcoming 8 core with one bios flash and get within a few percent of x570, there's really nothing to moan about given the Intel options you've previously had upon upgrade. Flagship x470 I could understand the frustration more if things aren't so great.

Soldato
The problem with boards is that everyone moans about all of them to some degree. With asus it's normally failure or returns, gigabyte the poor bios, msi the sometimes cheap parts with heavy marketing and asrock it's normally the bugs in bios or complexity of it all. Graphics cards are much easier to pick from as all it comes down to is cooler, warranty and returns. Even power delivery is less important now given the way boost works.

seems with new PBO - its all about power lol :D

but yeah- every one has weakness, everyone has strengths. Think MSI has come up with great strength to challenge asus after they knocked off Gigabyte off the top end over a decade ago .
will have to keep an eye out on Biostar over the next few years

Soldato
seems with new PBO - its all about power lol :D

but yeah- every one has weakness, everyone has strengths. Think MSI has come up with great strength to challenge asus after they knocked off Gigabyte off the top end over a decade ago .
will have to keep an eye out on Biostar over the next few years

Power delivery in reference to graphics cards sorry, but yer.

Soldato
Power delivery in reference to graphics cards sorry, but yer.

i do love looking at HOF 3 8 pin sockets hehe

OMG seriously guys. We are meant to be enthusiasts. How "hard" are you finding BIOS's to use!?!? It's not rocket science.

everyone has to start from the group up. can like hardware but not fully understand it or what to get into it without knowing about it etc .

google search pulls up ocuk forum a lot :)

Soldato
OMG seriously guys. We are meant to be enthusiasts. How "hard" are you finding BIOS's to use!?!? It's not rocket science.

If they're buggy, they can be a nightmare. I've seen llc setting being the reason for instability before on an old chip. Not even a high level setting, just one particular option. On the level below cpu ran fine with less volts. Took hours to figure out only by chance, not particularly fun.

Soldato
just look at buildzoid PCB videos , all aorus boards are posted . After what they did, they are now the most transparent as only one to state 100% their VRM design at computex and naked Boards on public display. and takes a few hours to get a message/reply back from their rep on here .
Agreed bios isn't as slick as ASRock. very easy to use

I just don't feel that they should be rewarded this time around with my cash after all the **** they have pulled since Intel Haswell up to AMD X470. Not like it was one series that was off but half a decade of cost cutting.

I do like that they have a rep here though.

All vendors are putting Bios resources into the new products..... Its that simple..... All older boards thus far are off compared to latest new Bios and Firmware...

Your down on XFR / PBO perf even on the higher end older gen boards..... Also down on Clock for clock perf.... But all boards I tried are at least working "fine"
AMD said that there's no performance loss from older gen mobos, so why should we believe you?
They have no skin in the mobo game, yet you as an employee of a retailer clearly do.

Caporegime
AMD said that there's no performance loss from older gen mobos, so why should we believe you?
They have no skin in the mobo game, yet you as an employee of a retailer clearly do.

No perf loss, but doubtless less room for a stable OC and it massively depends on Board partners not ruining the BIOS on purpose (wink wink).

I don't think he's being facetious here, ultimately it's whether or not you trust Asus/Gigabyte/MSI/Asrock and what not to not gimp the perf of AMD's features 'by accident'.

Soldato

they dont care what if Ryzen 300 goes in a A320 board as long as someone buys it , but they inhouse make X570 so a board vendor has to buy the chipset direct from them so they make money there. If they can make X570 the better platform to gain MAX profit they will .

naturally OCUK would make more money from X570 sales but they also know x470 and b450 will still sell due to the high costs of X570.

@8 Pack has pushed NDA most likely in some comments, and has taken time to off load some point of views. dont have to agree with them but nice to know from someone that has tried them

Soldato

If you're on b450 and can drop in the upcoming 8 core with one bios flash and get within a few percent of x570, there's really nothing to moan about given the Intel options you've previously had upon upgrade. Flagship x470 I could understand the frustration more if things aren't so great.

Indeed that does seem to be the case, Asus is the most frustrating for me tbh so that will be a hard no regardless.

Gigabyte was bios, parts (especially VRM) and their ability to lower quality mid lifespan of a motherboards production like they did with the Gaming series on Intel. That really got to me because it was already reasonably low and they pushed as low as they could for margin compared to others.

So that leaves AsRock and MSI, never had MSI so can't comment on them, Can't be any worse than Gigabyte with cheap parts. And as you mention with AsRock buggy bios but they generally get to a stable point and you can use them. I don't normally upgrade my Bios unless it security issue after I get it stable tbh. Although tbh it looks like it will be AsRock as it doesn't look like MSI want to do anything ITX still.

Assuming nothing flaky with the AsRock then all good. Otherwise might just wait another generation tbh.

Caporegime
they dont care what if Ryzen 300 goes in a A320 board as long as someone buys it , but they inhouse make X570 so a board vendor has to buy the chipset direct from them so they make money there. If they can make X570 the better platform to gain MAX profit they will .

naturally OCUK would make more money from X570 sales but they also know x470 and b450 will still sell due to the high costs of X570.

@8 Pack has pushed NDA most likely in some comments, and has taken time to off load some point of views. dont have to agree with them but nice to know from someone that has tried them

320s aren't supported?

Soldato
320s aren't supported?

figure of speech more then anything sorry . up to board vendors i thought and not AMD directly, and also limited bios space etc etc.

prob should have worked that better. but bottom line, would trust 8 packs testing over AMDs own . most AIB werent impressed with RX 5700 and not to hyped with all the released performance slides form amd etc etc

Associate
Asus have honestly been awful for me and wont touch them. More so support and trying to get anything that isn't working sorted. In fairness to AsRock when I have spoken to them they have been reasonably helpful and pretty quick to help where can. Sometimes it has just been no sorry can't do X but at least I got an answer in 48 hours and not 4-6 weeks like Asus seem to like doing.

I would go Gigabyte but their Bios screen been awful for donkey years and all the VRM stuff they have pulled previous which leaves MSI, no idea on them as haven't tried tbh but that may well be where I put my monies next.

Wait for the media reviews which I hope will back up my next few words : VRM designs are the best yet from us Z390 was the fist step in that direction and our BIOS screens have all been changed completely for the X570 and these will be rolled out for other boards as time goes on.

Soldato
Indeed, I would certainly say there will be performance loss but we are probably talking a few % depending on application, certainly in gaming and probably a little more otherwise, because PBO will work better on new boards etc or you can push clock higher.

Wont be anything in it at stock though which is different to what 8Pack would be testing I would think.

Soldato
Wait for the media reviews which I hope will back up my next few words : VRM designs are the best yet from us Z390 was the fist step in that direction and our BIOS screens have all been changed completely for the X570 and these will be rolled out for other boards as time goes on.

Indeed and I appreciate your comments etc, just feel ticked about previous business practice and how was treated before. Management hey ;)

Soldato
Gigabyte is my absolute go to for GPU's (never had any problems at all). Will take a serious look at X570 board offerings.

Back
Top Bottom