• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Wait for the media reviews which I hope will back up my next few words : VRM designs are the best yet from us Z390 was the fist step in that direction and our BIOS screens have all been changed completely for the X570 and these will be rolled out for other boards as time goes on.

oh new bios.... now be expected to be quoted by all hardware sites with anticipation !

Associate
Speaking of BIOS
Can anyone give a brief summary of AGESA version numbering system?
Seems to go in circles. We were at 1.0.0.7 and now I see exitement about bios versions with agesa 1.0.0.2
eh?

Soldato
Speaking of BIOS
Seems to go in circles. We were at 1.0.0.7 and now I see exitement about bios versions with agesa 1.0.0.2
eh?

Rather than increment the major number when they get to the end of the series they seem to just go back to the beginning again.

Permabanned
Wait for the media reviews which I hope will back up my next few words : VRM designs are the best yet from us Z390 was the fist step in that direction and our BIOS screens have all been changed completely for the X570 and these will be rolled out for other boards as time goes on.
Well got Me interested enough to start considering buying x570 board for my mates build to have a play and see if I like the changes :)

Have had z77 motherboards VRM section going in actual smoke on 3 week old board so stayed away from them.

Associate

Are you confirming that old gen boards will be compatible on release, but in no way optimised for best performance?

OcUK Staff
AMD said that there's no performance loss from older gen mobos, so why should we believe you?
They have no skin in the mobo game, yet you as an employee of a retailer clearly do.
AMD have said a lot....

Dear me!!!! I have zero remit in MB sales....

I test everything I don't trust a word any vendor, manufacturer, reviewer or sales rep tells me.....

The older chipset boards are way behind in tuning and or Agesa code and other perf features.... MB vendors are putting Bios resources into the new stuff.... Which they should this gives them repeat business and has all the features to support the new CPUs to full potential.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
The old boards I tried are all working with differing degrees of performance.....

id expect them to at least work at stock clocks with ddr 3200 cas 16, anything better is a plus on first gen boards, 2nd gen expect slightly better mem speeds.

Associate
I imagine there will be a few reviewers trying the cpu's out on the diff gen boards to see if theres any artificial gimping going on.
I absolutely expect levels of gimping, but I don't think it will be artificial. From the recent AMD video talking about their new boost thing, it sounds like motherboards with worse power delivery will have lower boosts for shorter times than motherboards with good power delivery.

EDIT - This video:

Soldato
stock will not be an issue.

would you say 3 million units EU wise would be good? me, i would, then realise how many on intel 2/4 cores looking to upgrade could be double .

no doubt they HAVE NUMBERS... just are the numbers of Buyers going to be higher ? haha

just form this forum, looking like you've got Ryzen, Intel and FX owners looking to jump onboard, high numbers
very true
However, i wonder how many of those WILL actually upgrade, how many will decide the current pricing is too high and jump on Zen+ following the price drops. R5 2600 @ ~128 quid for example is going to tempt a whole swathe of budget minded potential Zen2 customers down that route with a view to jumping on Zen2(or Zen2+/3 - whatever it's called) at a later date. so i really don't think stock will be an issue. that said i could be horribly wrong and there could be fist fights in the car park outside OcUK on Monday morning with 8pack acting as bouncer!! :p

Associate
Be interesting to see how they work on the "decent" B450 boards, the ones with decent VRMs. Could be a nice performance increase for existing B450 users (I'll be retiring my X370 / 1700)

Soldato
Speaking of BIOS
eh?
Yeah the naming scheme is dumb. There are 4 different AGESA "major" versions, the most recent of which being ComboPI. I've seen BIOSs with ComboPI 1.0.0.1, 1.0.0.2, and 1.0.0.3 so far. The last PinnaclePI AGESA, which was for Pinnacle Ridge CPUs, was 1.0.0.7 I think.

I did not try Taichi X470 to be honest.. I cant try all..... X570 Taichi is great... In my top couple of boards thus far...

If I have time tomorrow I will quickly try...
I would also be very interested in this

Back
Top Bottom