Over 400 million people drink from their toilet everyday

Soldato

Over 400 million Indians are drinking and swimming in their own defecation and urine each day from the river Ganges not to mention all the toxic waste from industry that just dumps their waste straight into the river.

We're expected to look after our environment over here but it feels like what's the point when you have countries who vastly out number our population doing crap like this, it makes our contribution utterly worthless as eventually all that pollution from India and other less environmentally conscious nations will build up and somehow affect us.

It doesn't help when their scientists are spouting crap like increasing the flow of the river will get rid of most pollution and they believe the Ganges can heal itself because "magic" @ around the 5:50 mark, it's utterly shocking.

Probably not a good idea to watch the vid while on your lunch though :)

AND?

Soldato
OP
What do you think a river outfall does? All the soap suds and road crap that finds it's way (usually through hosing) into the surface water drains - That system is designed to dilute pollutants to 'acceptable' parts-per-million before discharging back into the watercourses.

I always thought it went through treatment plants before being released into the "wild" before it ends up in the sea and ultimately gets evaporated into new fresh "clean" water as rain ?

Associate
On the flip side, modern India toilets have a shower hose attachment for cleaning your **** properly rather than our strange reliance on toilet paper.

Commissario
I always thought it went through treatment plants before being released into the "wild" before it ends up in the sea and ultimately gets evaporated into new fresh "clean" water as rain ?
That nasty EU made us treat the water before pumping it into the sea :(

I personally miss the days of going to swim in the brown frothy water because a water treatment plant had decided to pump more untreated waste a hundred meters off shore because it was cheaper/faster than dealing with it properly.

A lot of people looking down on India seem to have no clue as to what was normal practice in the UK as little as 30 years ago in regards to waste management, and we were in a far better place in terms of infrastructure for treating waste even then, let alone the fact that it wasn't until after WW2 (from memory) that indoor toilets became a requirement, my dad has memories of living in Newcastle as a lad where the toilet was in the back garden because it had been added as an afterthought to the housing a couple of decades earlier.

Large parts of india have pretty much none of the water/waste infrastructure we've taken for granted for the last 75+ years, and still have a lot of industries whose regulations are about at the point ours were in the 60's and 70's in terms of how they get rid of waste (and some American businesses look forward to the day when they can go back to those standards as it improves the bottom line..).

Soldato
OP
Large parts of india have pretty much none of the water/waste infrastructure we've taken for granted for the last 75+ years, and still have a lot of industries whose regulations are about at the point ours were in the 60's and 70's in terms of how they get rid of waste (and some American businesses look forward to the day when they can go back to those standards as it improves the bottom line..).

We are talking about a nation, that has their own ******* space program and enough money to buy nukes

But apparently they're too poor/inept to build sewers and water treatment ?

I guess they could always send their poop into space as a means of disposal or nuke it to get rid of it

Permabanned
The Ganges being the open sewer it is leads to all sorts of infections, I don't need to tell anyone that but, couple it with the fact that antibiotics are sold over the counter without need for prescription and the problem of pollution doubles up with antibiotic resistance!
Pollute the world and disable the ability to fight infection at the same time.

Caporegime
look at this ****. Java, Indonesia.

I mean seriously, these people are filth. This is the very definition of worthless humanity. I honestly cant hold back the expletives. Its just disturbing.

Soldato
This post needs more love.

Having been to India and seeing both brand new swanky office buildings, the Taj Mahal and a grown man taking a crap in the a street slum - all in the same day - it really is a country of massive contrasts.

We cannot use their standards as a benchmark for our own. So no, we should be doing our bit to keep this world the right way and not just give up.

The romans brought us proper sanitation and the victorians reinvented it. Size, poverty and corruption is what stops India from doing it.

This. The vast majority of Indians still live a rural village life and farming. There isn't the infrastructure particularly on a scale of the size of the country and with over a billion people. Things are changing there but there's still a long way to go and as above the contrasts between the more affluent city dwellers and rural life is unimaginably vast for us over here the west to appreciate. Rural life is more or less unchanged from centuries ago. Modi for all his nationistic vues has aimed to bring electricity to every village.

Soldato
OP
look at this ****. Java, Indonesia.

I mean seriously, these people are filth. This is the very definition of worthless humanity. I honestly cant hold back the expletives. Its just disturbing.

Disgusting yes, but it's something people could clean up and keep clean if motivated enough

Russia's Techa river though, gotta wait for those half lives to decay

Back
Top Bottom