The Chelsea Club Thread **No Spoilers**

Caporegime
I give him till Xmas before fat frankie gets sacked off by being utterly useless. Sure he did well with Derby in a pretty weak league but with no transfers incoming and Hazard gone. It’s going to be terribly hard at Chelsea.

Soldato
It's going to be incredibly tough for him assuming the transfer ban is upheld. Hazard basically kept Chelsea relevant last year, they'd have got nowhere near top four without him and at times the lack of attacking quality was a bit shocking. Yes, Chelsea have some exciting young players and Lampard will give them a chance to play, but with probably their two best young players (Loftus-Cheek and Hudson-Odoi) set to miss the start of the new season I think he's going to find it tough. I like the football Derby played last year, plus I think he'll be respected by the squad and be a good man manager, I just don't think Chelsea have the quality in the squad to actually compete.

Don
It's going to be an interesting appointment if nothing else. Finishing 6th with a Derby side that fiddled their way round FFP was nothing to write home about. The biggest positive I can see from a Chelsea point of view is it'll be far harder for the fans to turn on him like they did Sarri and far harder for the board to get shot of him as they have all their other managers. Maybe he'll bring the stability Chelsea need or maybe it'll be a car crash.

Associate
Derby fiddling their way around FFP? How is that? (just being curious as I don't the Championship very closely and can't recall to have seen any about this in the news.

Don
Derby fiddling their way around FFP? How is that? (just being curious as I don't the Championship very closely and can't recall to have seen any about this in the news.
They sold their stadium to their owner who then leased it back to them. It was done solely to boost their profits from an ffp point of view so they could spend more.

Soldato
Might end up being a good manager but Chelsea aren't known for giving managers time they need, if it goes wrong it will likely just slow his managerial career down

Associate
I think he's just a stop gap for the transfer ban. If I was a neutral i'd like to see him do well with youth, but as an Arsenal fan I hope they crash and burn for selfish reasons! I suspect that they'll do alright and be fighting for top 4 still though.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I reckon he could do well if the players support him. I have no idea if he is up to the task but out of the top 6 in the PL I would say that Chelsea and United have pretty toxic dressing rooms at the room and being a manager at either of these clubs will be hard until they sort that out. Chelsea have also just lost their best player by a mile. Lets hope Pulisic hits the ground running because they could have an awful season if not.

Ole and Frank could be gone by the end of the season IMO. They are both competing with inferior squads, inferior managers and unrealistic expectations from their owners.

Soldato
The odds are stacked against him as most managers don't do a stellar job and even fewer returning legends. The only one in recent memory that has done pretty well is Zindane and it's not like he didn't have a few world class players to select.

I watched him once towards the end of his career at the world cup in Brazil and he was still a consummate professional who put in the time and effort to achieve what he did. I wish him well.

Last edited:
Soldato
I actually think he's come in at a really good time. Nobody can expect him to do too much having lost Hazard and come into a transfer ban, so as long as the season isn't a total disaster he'll be given a bit of time to get his head round things and develop some of the younger players. I think his real test will come next season, after he's had a transfer window.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Sup boys!

How do you reckon we'll do this season? Any pre-season thoughts?
I'm reasonably happy with how things have gone, especially in the selling department (except Hazard ofc:() But I think Barkley has played fantastic in his new role, I would be happy to see him there at the beginning of the season to see how it goes. I think buying Kovacic was also a good move, he's still fairly young and has definitely shown glimpses in pre-season on how good he can be in this new role as well.

Defensively we are still pretty woeful, and as much as I like Tammy, he has been very suspect upfront. Sell off a couple more deadwood players in Bakayoko, Drinkwater, Zappa, Moses etc... Add in the 50m from the Morata sale next year, and I think we have a huge warchest for next summer in which we can go ham.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Sup boys!
How do you reckon we'll do this season? Any pre-season thoughts.

I think you will know within the first few weeks of the season. Pre-season really doesn't mean much when you are playing against unfit, poor quality, weakened versions of teams you will face in the PL. Even the games against the likes of RM, Barca etc don't tell you much.

Back
Top Bottom