BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Soldato
Other parts of the iDrive system are getting left behind the trip computer section is poor VAGs is much better with a short term, long term and one that auto resets each time you fill up with all of them accessible through the cluster and centre display.

They also need to drop the BC button a single button to cycle through all the options is annoying they should change the buttons on the wheel to allow back/forward control.
And add android auto :D
In terms of responsiveness etc I drive is pretty damn good imo but overall prefer vag systems with VC and also the merc system with the sat nav camera thing is seriously impressive

Man of Honour
Other parts of the iDrive system are getting left behind the trip computer section is poor VAGs is much better with a short term, long term and one that auto resets each time you fill up with all of them accessible through the cluster and centre display

I don't think this is fair - I recently had a new G05 X5 for a few weeks and this had a from factory trip computer, a since refuel trio computer, a since start trip computer and a user configurable one.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think this is fair - I recently had a new G05 X5 for a few weeks and this had a from factory trip computer, a since refuel trio computer, a since start trip computer and a user configurable one.

Hopefully that will filter down the range quickly as I didn’t notice it in a 4-5 month old G30. How did you find the new X5 ? Did you have that when waiting for EGR parts by any chance ? I had a great run of cars as the new EGR was faulty and then had to go back to get door dings sorted that appeared when in storage with the dealer.

Unrelated but may be of interest G30 540i cruise set at 70mph 262miles later 43.8mpg on Morrison’s finest regular petrol. Exact same route in a F11 530d returned 50mpg (F11 535d 52mpg but with long 50mph sections of road works) it was a while ago so can’t remember the decimal figure.

It was windy with the G30 not sure what impact that would have also had adaptive cruise that may have had a small impact as I found it would slow you down when on manual cruise I wouldn’t have disengaged it. Either way I thought it was a great performance/economy balance.

The long trip made it impossible to see where it would settle in my normal driving pattern I expect 32-34mpg compared to 38-42mpg of the diesels confirms for me I won’t be buying another diesel car.

Man of Honour
It had iDrive 7 which the G30 doesn't have yet. I had it as a rental car for a 2 week driving holiday in Italy and the Alps, actually. I'd booked a 5 Series (And it seemed most of them were 540i too so was looking forward to that) but they didnt have any so got an 'upgrade'.

There was much I liked about it - great engine, smooth, refined, comfortable and great tech - but all of this applies to the 5 Series, too. The X5 specific elements of it left me less impressed, it could never hide its bulk and weight especially on mountain roads. I never expect nor want sports car handling but the thing about the 5 Series is that it just does everything so well. For me at least I still see little value in an SUV over a good estate and it just cemented my view that the car for me is a 5 Series.

Not a fan of the new speedo setup compared with the G30 either. Functionality wise it was better, but the non circular dials didn't seem to bring anything to the table and the layout was so cluttered as to be confusing at times.

Man of Honour
I quite like the new BMW interiors and I’ve used them extensively as well as Audi and Merc’s. I think people are being overly critical.

I also had the new X5 for a few days and thought it was great, better than a Vogue SE at nearly half the cost. I like the new giant grilles too, they look very imposing in person.

I’ve used a Q8 for a few days and that edges the interior, but not by loads, the BMW just feels better to use (as they normally do to be fair).

Caporegime
I quite like the new BMW interiors and I’ve used them extensively as well as Audi and Merc’s. I think people are being overly critical.

I also had the new X5 for a few days and thought it was great, better than a Vogue SE at nearly half the cost. I like the new giant grilles too, they look very imposing in person.

I’ve used a Q8 for a few days and that edges the interior, but not by loads, the BMW just feels better to use (as they normally do to be fair).

That's why I liked bmws - they just work. I found everything to intuitively be where it should be on them.

Don't like the snouts though. Think they look ridiculous.

Man of Honour
That's why I liked bmws - they just work. I found everything to intuitively be where it should be on them.

Don't like the snouts though. Think they look ridiculous.

Yeah, to use they just make the most sense to me. Not that you can’t get used to Audi and Merc etc easily, but BMW’s just feel ‘right’.

The snouts look better in person I’ve found - they are unusual though for sure :p

Soldato
I think once used to iDrive, it's very efficient to use and I'm still impressed with the previous generation NBT / NBT EVO.

However, as I hire cars frequently, I remember that the first time I had any modern BMW iDrive interface it was a bit too menu centric for most things, and I preferred the relatively more simplisitic Mazda and Audi MMI interfaces, but you do soon realise they aren't as feature rich as the iDrive eco-system, nor as performant in general.

I also like the new X5 interior, its a barge of an SUV, but it is a nice place to sit!

Last edited:
Associate
Other parts of the iDrive system are getting left behind the trip computer section is poor VAGs is much better with a short term, long term and one that auto resets each time you fill up with all of them accessible through the cluster and centre display.

They also need to drop the BC button a single button to cycle through all the options is annoying they should change the buttons on the wheel to allow back/forward control.
I'm beginning to think BMWs entire design team are full of ageing old men who have been there decades. Judging by recent life cycle updates on several vehicles they are losing the plot!

Associate
Took my car in today due to the starting issue, and also complained about their lack of communication regarding the service book. They apologised and told me they would do a service as well, to ensure that in the unlikely possibility that their systems are mistaken about whether this year’s service was carried out my car would be covered.

Manager also gave me his own demonstrator, an X4 M40d ! Overall very good service. X4 is really quick, apparently quicker than my Z4:p.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Funny that, I went in couple of weeks ago to look at a 7 for potential replacement for my dad's A8 and the 7 interior designwas really quite poor for the price, likewise I felt with the X7. Very boring design but excellent material/build quality etc as to be expected.
However I like the X5 much more than X7, interior fits with the price point more and I think styled better too (personally ofc)
I think Audi definitely has a better interior over BMW. The new crystal gear selector is just vile as well.

In other news, the X2 M35i is the answer to a question nobody asked. And you can tell it’s FWD; don’t care what anyone says. I preferred the SQ2, but that is also such an underwhelming car. WTF happened to excitement and fun???

mjt

mjt

Soldato
When was it ever present in an SUV?
I drove an S3 yesterday (without paddles. Seriously, who the **** at Audi buys an S3 purely for test drives and forgets to spec paddles? How are they even an option?!) and that was pretty dull as well.
Also went out in a T-Roc, but let’s ignore that :p

This X2 is on the new shared FWD Mini platform and is supposed to be like the new 1 Series. Hmm.

The days of straight six, manual box and RWD are looooong gone... :(

Soldato
So have had the 530d for a couple of weeks and I’m completely converted. I was not keen on the idea of a Diesel engine but actually it suits the car really well.

I’ve now had ideas of upgrading to a 640d lol.

Man of Honour
BMW AUC have got quite a few nice 640d's up for £20k~ and below. A lot of car for the money, especially if they throw in a 2 year warranty.

Soldato
Soldato
I drove an S3 yesterday (without paddles. Seriously, who the **** at Audi buys an S3 purely for test drives and forgets to spec paddles? How are they even an option?!) and that was pretty dull as well.
Also went out in a T-Roc, but let’s ignore that :p

This X2 is on the new shared FWD Mini platform and is supposed to be like the new 1 Series. Hmm.

The days of straight six, manual box and RWD are looooong gone... :(
Without paddles? WTF?? Never heard of that, that's super stupid. Like no standard cruise control stupid cough1seriescough

Back
Top Bottom