What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
So my wing mirrors won't adjust (never checked when I bought the car, duh!). I

been doing some trouble shooting. I've nailed it down to either being the drivers master switch or the wiring either shorting from the frm3 module to the switch. I've checked some of the wiring but I need to buy a multimeter as I don't have one.

Fuses check out fine. Logged presses on window switch and they all check out fine even with the window regulators unplugged. Though no confirmation when pressing adjustment or switching drivers to passengers mirrors.

Hopefully it'll be something simple. As sadly when the drivers mirror doesn't work it brings the passengers down with it.

EDIT: So it isn't the switch. Next part will be the loom.

Last edited:
Soldato
One cheap automatic MX-5 that I bought last year:

dFSWFz9.jpg

bad boy coilovers that I didn't even know it had, I could have been rolling deep!

Tsu4bdV.jpg

One busy weekend doing this on my own:

4Xgkd7J.jpg

CQa82aS.jpg

9x1WgFU.jpg

One donor engine and box:

6GaoWDl.jpg

For this:

QXB9Xow.jpg

Project was fully on hold, I'm getting married in 6 weeks and I've just been busy, but the Mazda was at my sister's house and she's having her drive extended and it got evicted, so I had to crack on. I've somehow managed to get the engine and box in the garage with the Minx, so at least it's all secure.

I still need to pull the loom and a couple of other bits from the Mazda, that's going to be a bit of a mission, and then I can have it taken away.

Going to give the engine a bit of an overhaul in the meantime.

Getting it in the Minx is going to be a lot of work, super out of my depth but I'll get there I'm sure.

Soldato
@PardonTheWait you doing a 1.8VVT manual conversion? Or just slapping a 1.8 manual from a MK1 in for ease?

1.6 auto. The car is auto and has a column shifter which I want to keep - plus the pedals, clutch system etc is extra work. It’s a cruiser anyway, doesn’t need lots of power. I think the autos are about 100bhp.

I can always put a blower on it later if I feel like it :cool:

First things first though... make it fit

Soldato
You're taking out a 1.6 auto and putting in a 1.6 auto?

What's wrong with it?

What's this column shifter you speak of?

I’m taking out a side draft 1.6 with a three speed auto and no overdrive from 1964 with points ignition, and putting in a more modern one with fuel injection and overdrive and 40 more bhp. And parts availability.

Column shifter... the shifter’s on the column.

Qp6tISel.jpg

Caporegime
I’m taking out a side draft 1.6 with a three speed auto and no overdrive from 1964 with points ignition, and putting in a more modern one with fuel injection and overdrive and 40 more bhp. And parts availability.

Column shifter... the shifter’s on the column.

Qp6tISel.jpg
Lol sorry I thought you were just replacing the engine on the MX5 not putting it in the hillman!

Soldato
Doesn't look too bad, and it has my initials on the numberplate! :(

You can come and get it in about a week if you want! It probably won’t have a roof though, it’s the only bit I can probably sell easily. It’s tempting to break it for bits and make some money back but I haven’t really got the space, time or energy so I’m just going to have a scrappy come and fetch it. I might take a few odd bits off that will sell like headlight motors and whatnot. If I can be bothered.

I haven’t spent much time looking around others, but it is quite scabby underneath. I suppose they all are these days. It got an advisory for corrosion last year before I bought it.

Caporegime
So I washed the car last week and applied Meguiar's Silicon product with a cloth all over, like a liquid wax. Just a single layer and it has been sunny all week until last night when it rained a little.

Km8nHOi.jpg

You can see the water there, clinging onto the side of the car as there is a layer of dust from being close to the ground. But on top of the car, bonnet and the roof, there is not a single drop of water!!! I had just pulled into the petrol station to top up and thought…"why is the car dry, it was raining". You can see the ground is wet and the car in the background is also wet.

The sheeting ability of this Meguiar stuff is ridiculous.

NgbfuWC.jpg

Soldato
Making a hard push to really crack on with the MG and Mini. MG needs a lil bit more welding, and some panels prepped etc, then stuff can start going back in.

mg.jpg

Finally started to get stuff back onto the mini, and also made some because racecar enhancements while it's still a shell. I'll need to find somewhere in the north east, where I can try some bucket seats :)

mini1.jpg

mini2.jpg

Man of Honour
Had all the filters/plugs/oil and rear lambda sensor replaced at the weekend, feels much smoother to drive now. Both lambda sensors were killed by oil getting into the loom from a leaking pressure switch by the looks of it and I'm going to guess the funny readings from those will have fouled my plugs as well.

Just needs new front pads/discs now.

Back
Top Bottom