Road Cycling

Soldato
Anyone (jonnym) got any recommendations for a bearing press set. Got a big old bar for my bottom brackets and headsets but want something for wheel hubs that's a bit more accurate. Seen the park tools but it's a bit expensive,wondering if there is a cheaper alternative.
I'm using the £40 X-Tools one and have used it for BB's and wheel bearings without issue - but it doesn't come with small bearing adaptors for wheels its still quite easy to keep it straight. Top tip - wheel in a truing stand with the stand holding the hub works great - you have two hands free and it's kept nice and level. Before then sitting on the floor with the wheel between your legs also works well! YMMV, I've probably only done a dozen bearings but no issues with it.

I had a fiddle with the big Park HHP-2 in a LBS and it's superbly made, but complete overkill unless you had a fleet. A real workshop tool!

Well worth keeping a selection of old bearings to use as spacers to help drift wheel bearings in. Although last time I used spacers which came with a Tacx trainer thru axle adaptor, on top of a washer which was the perfect size over the outer race to get a small bearing in an annoying recessed freehub.

Hear lots of people using threaded bar and a load of nuts & washers but when I looked at that (and buying the adaptors) it would work out similar money to the X-Tools press.

Can't remember where from, but doing some research and hunting around I found one of these from park, but listed as 'universal' rather than a specific size (like that one) but costing about £20. It might have even been listed as for headsets, but I've used mine on BB's. I have one of the Park BBT-30.4 but could never get on well with it. Not enough force to fit bearings tidily/straight/easily, while also not really great at removing, again too much force. I found drifting them out worked better. For BB's & hubs I found having a large selection of socket sets (that the tool fits through) so you have some really big & chunky spacers! Probably more of a tip for BB's. :)

The main climb https://www.strava.com/activities/2495941889/segments/62813146744 I was 30s faster than my best time but riding with power I've only managed 10:45 @ 335w https://www.strava.com/activities/1473515342#36721932216 so must be sitting at 350w give or take. It was a westerly wind so no help there :p

Hitting this https://www.strava.com/segments/615850 about 15 miles into the race then two other hills further on after it :o
Good stuff, although on 'paper' your practice climb looks harder - ramp at the bottom and steeper pitches later on. The race climb the steepness is all in the first half in 2 ramps where it looks fairly constant gradient. The corners on the ascent might mean positioning is quite important? Make sure you save something for the latter half as bet over the top is fast! The descent to Achray looks pretty technical, fast and long (if you're going that way). #coach ;) :p

Soldato
I often downshift by tilting the handlebars forward to lift the back wheel while stationary. Can't do that one in a car :D

From what I've seen I use the FD a lot more than other riders. I'll often downshift to the small ring at the lights and then shift up a few metres off from the lights. Less so when the drivetrain is all gunked up or the FD is playing up. Realistically, 50/52 and 11-25 would be fine for the majority of riding I do but if I've got the other gears I'll use them to make things easier.

Soldato
Loving the new Shiv with 1x gearing

48181322846_bf408227a3_b.jpg

Soldato
it's fairly flat along the thames river and i always almost down shift when coming to a stop (like driving a car!) !

Ah, so you are shifting, I just read that as you where double-speeding it everywhere! Lolwups :D

I often downshift by tilting the handlebars forward to lift the back wheel while stationary. Can't do that one in a car :D

From what I've seen I use the FD a lot more than other riders. I'll often downshift to the small ring at the lights and then shift up a few metres off from the lights. Less so when the drivetrain is all gunked up or the FD is playing up. Realistically, 50/52 and 11-25 would be fine for the majority of riding I do but if I've got the other gears I'll use them to make things easier.
Have to admit I'll only generally need to do the rear wheel in the air shift when caught out at a junction or stopping without planning. I'm quite good at downshifting/easy pedalling downshifting rather than freewheeling...

I always thought the FD shifts sounding rougher caused more chain wear so I tended to cross-chain more than I should've. I still cross-chain a hell of a lot more than I know I should, it's a bit of a habit I'm trying to break out of. If anything the switch to 53/39 is 'helping' as the 39T isn't that low for general flat/tempo riding. For easy riding up gradual average ascents I'm just tempo'ing (like my commute home) I'm trying to get into the habit to knock it down into the small ring. Also all of my Chariot rides are in the little ring, although they are again up the same gradual ascent home. Hopefully avoids some of the cross chaining, slow cadence & inevitable occasional grinding I found myself doing.

Loving the new Shiv with 1x gearing

48181322846_bf408227a3_b.jpg
Wow looks ace! Looks fast! :D

As Paul says, really interesting cut out, especially if you place it alongside the 2019 Tri specific Shiv which has the additional rear fairing to fill the space other frames put a cutout. Reading about it, it's only made to be ridden with a disk rear wheel.

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/2...shiv-tt-disc-ps12499-bike-launched-debut-tour

It does also support X2, just has a removable FD hanger. Disc & Electronic only. £15000!

Shame Jungels isn't at the Tour this year to put it though it's paces :(
a9207715editedwider.jpg

Unrelated other news, I still have a bit of a kick which is enough to try and catch buses... But know I can't keep it up if I miss the draft :o

Last edited:
Soldato
Got myself back on Zwift last night for the first time in weeks (month or two?!). Felt good to get some training back in the legs as did an intervals session, but found it very hard at my currently set FTP (250W), needing to knock it down to 90% of FTP. Just made the intervals 460W 30s efforts rather than 500W! :o

https://www.strava.com/activities/2501989762

Did a sprint effort during cooldown, so really do seem to have my kick back a bit, even after intervals like that! :D

Associate
here's an interesting one and totally new to me. My brother bought a second hand bike(Wilier GTR) which came with a 10 speed 105 drive train. After swapping out his 10speed 105 to 11 speed 105, we have the wheelset as left over. I gave him my Duke Roadrunner with 11 speed hub. Being 10 speed the freehub is too short and cannot take a standard road 11 speed, or at least thats what i thought for a couple of months..... But then i came across the new-ish shimano 11-34 cassette, which are also part of the mountain bike range.....and....works no problem. so the wheels can continue its life as 11 speed. of course the only downside is that the rear mech has to be the newer long cage (R8000 or R7000 or one of those bodge up oversized pulley wheel cage like i have). woohoo for us, less stuff to flock on ebay lol.

kbmNPqB.jpg

Soldato
Yeah I've looked into that as an option before with the newer mechs.

I'm running 10 speed dura ace wheels with a 10 speed cassette on 11 speed shifters. Low limit tweak and you wouldn't even know :D

Soldato
i have a Strava question. When I make a route, I mark it public or private. How do I look at all the public routes near me?

Failing that, any recommendations for 15 to 30 mile routes near Barnet?

Soldato
i have a Strava question. When I make a route, I mark it public or private. How do I look at all the public routes near me?

One way of seeing public routes is on the Android Strava app, select a rider profile to view and then scroll down to routes.

Another indirect way is to look at your ride on a Windows PC and on the Overview page, click "Strava Flybys." This will then show you rides on a map for all other Strava riders you passed, providing they have not made their rides private.

Soldato
here's an interesting one and totally new to me. My brother bought a second hand bike(Wilier GTR) which came with a 10 speed 105 drive train. After swapping out his 10speed 105 to 11 speed 105, we have the wheelset as left over. I gave him my Duke Roadrunner with 11 speed hub. Being 10 speed the freehub is too short and cannot take a standard road 11 speed, or at least thats what i thought for a couple of months..... But then i came across the new-ish shimano 11-34 cassette, which are also part of the mountain bike range.....and....works no problem.
Which '11 speed 105' did you swap to? 5800 or R7000? So you're saying you tried one of the 5800 cassettes on those wheels first and it didn't fit. Then the larger 11-34 R7000 afterwards which did? There should be no difference between cassette 'widths' between 5800 and R7000. Sure there wasn't a spacer on the freehub you accidentally removed with the 5800 cassette...?

Great to hear you reused them but those are some garish retro looking decals, the yellow really clashes lol :D

One way is something like the Strava Heatmap, on there you can view the most popular/travelled roads/routes by activity type (cycling). I've used another app/plugin previously and it showed you rides/routes with activity times of day/year and even the routes themselves. Can't remember the name now, or if GDPR killed it all off...

From my googling Barnet is within the M25? Quite near Watford/St Albans? Hadn't heard of the place... It's likely busy as hell around there so imagine you'd want to head out of the M25 northwards for better quieter roads? Another (possible) option is jumping on a train to head West to get out to the Chilterns for some hills if that's what you're after. I'd imagine heading East towards Romford doesn't find any quieter roads and going South was a no-no...

Last edited:
Associate
Which '11 speed 105' did you swap to? 5800 or R7000? So you're saying you tried one of the 5800 cassettes on those wheels first and it didn't fit. Then the larger 11-34 R7000 afterwards which did? There should be no difference between cassette 'widths' between 5800 and R7000. Sure there wasn't a spacer on the freehub you accidentally removed with the 5800 cassette...?

the bike came with 105 5700. we put 105 5800 on it, but then realise the 10 speed hub was too short for 11 speed cassette. We gave up on the wheels and put some of my other wheels on. So happened my wife wants to go from 11-34 (ultegra CS-HG800) to 11-30 (CS-R8000) recently. when i took the 11-34 off her bike, i realised there is a spacer at the end, so i went to do some googling, and it turns out the Ultegra level 11-34, strictly speaking, is not part of R8000 range, but it's part of MTB range as labelled CS-HG800. From shimano: Reference to Shimano Page

• Hub body designed to fit a variety of bikes from MTB to road bikes * Spacer required to fit hub body to road bikes

Same goes to the R7000 generation 105 level 11-34 (CS-HG700), it has a shorter cassette body, so it will also fit a 10speed road hub body.

Great to hear you reused them but those are some garish retro looking decals, the yellow really clashes lol :D

lol, clashing yellow has always been in Wilier's blood !

from wilier's own website and their pro team:

wilier-pozzato1746-copy.jpg

social_PhotoScanferla_162581-mqjhuy5597g0eiwo5gzfwoqspfx8h5huqdp0grk36a.jpg

Soldato
Yeah but just because a professional team rides it, it doesn't mean it looks good and should be acceptable attire ;)

2c60f2c9159a98fdd48edca5182e7d90.jpg

EDIT: Amazing info on R7000/8000 I hadn't realised.

Actually really useful for me as I've an old DT hub with a 10 speed freehub I was refusing to buy an 11 speed for... Means I might be able to flog an old deep alu rear wheel as '11 speed' :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Willier Trestina. Bike and kit cool confirmation:
Red and white with gnarly yellow plus sponsors all over the shop.... can only be done by Italians. Are Italian. Therefore super cool*
They could have easily put stealthy black rims on that Willier and it would have looked amazing. But that would be as Italian as a creme brulee.

*white bar tape is never cool. Not even Italians can pull that off.

Back
Top Bottom