• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
Yep I would think so and I think we are already seeing those results in the benches shown so when it starts getting compared to the 5.0Ghz i9 9900k or KS later then there will be around 5-10% drop in AMD compared as we are already at max without very high end water cooling.

Right, tho the IPC seems around 10% higher than Coffeelake.

MEGTRON sounds like a Transformer.

I was thinking that when i read it :D

Soldato
Will be comparing CH6 + 3600mhz C16 run at 3200mhz ram with loose timings + 1700 against either the 3800X or 3900X, whichever is the better gaming chip dependant on reviews :) I will of course be running the Ram at its rated 3600mhz C16 speed if i can, rather than the 3200mhz im limited to currently on my 1700.

Looking forward to seeing your results.

When I get round to it I'll be setting up to 'fake' a 35-45w CPU from both the 3600(X) and possibly the 3700X/3900X, with under-volting and tweaking as best I can to simulate what the Ryzen 3600E, and 3900E (if they release it) will do. My tests will be in 1U systems with stupid loud blower fans on B350 ITX/B450 maybe. RAM will be tested from 2133 to as high as it will go within 1.35v and the IMC :)

Associate
I had R7 1700+C6H on pre-order at launch. At that time there was very little tuning/tweaking features, from posts by The Stilt, Elmor and Raja@ASUS it was clear AMD had launched prior to reaching a "ripe" state. Even though the ASUS UEFI had RAM timings section it did not function, as AMD FW was locking out vendors from changes, Elmor explained this.

Within a month or two we had flood of options to aid tuning/tweaking. Between all these options appearing and launch, The Stilt had posted whenever anyone queried aspect of RAM speed that we probably have not yet seen the limit of IMC, once all the options were there, was when he started sharing his take was 3466MHz was about the max decent 1xxx series would do where high stability was needed.
How fun and interesting was the first few months of Ryzen though. I was having a great time tinkering and discussing it all over at OCN as things improved and came to light.

I think you'll love 3xxx :) . Has a host of new tinkering options, besides the new PBO options:-

DRAM Timings Control
-Mem P-State

Then under AMD CBS:-

Core Watchdog

XFR Enhancement
-FCLK Frequency
-UCLK DIV1 MODE

PMU Training
-DFE Read Training
-FFE Write Training
-PMU Pattern Bits Control

MBIST section has way more options as well.

Soldato
Ill do my standard
Cinebench Trilogy 11.5 15 20 still got my Phenom X3 scores
IBT x10 very high pass time
Ill record some footage make project in Cyberlink Power director and check render times 2700x vs 3900x
and rest iof benchmarks I got installed :p
Hmm didn't think of IBT, I only usually use that to check max temps! I'm sure my NH-U12P will hold up fine, it's only like 3 degrees hotter than newer equivalent single-stack designs.

Soldato
Except the 9900k may well be faster depending on your use case and will be significantly less fussy with memory and not need an expensive motherboard to get the most out of it.

Plenty of reasons to stick with Intel.
We'll know for sure in 2 days but Zen 2 is supposedly not "fussy" about memory any more. Also you need a Z390 for i9-9900K, whereas any old B450 board will work fine for Zen 2, and those are cheaper. Yes, X570 is more expensive but you get more features compared to Z390 (i.e. PCIe 4.0).

GAC

GAC

Soldato
dear lord still with the motherboard moaning, LOOK its got pcie 4 so thats new and shiny, the extra build quality and the better cooling solution. also its NEW its going to cost more anyways. if you DONT NEEEEEEED PCIE 4 and DONT plan on clocking the spots off you're new ryzen 3000 series cpu DONT GET A X570!!!!!

how hard is it to get you DONT NEED IT, also if you do want a x570 you dont have to buy the most expensive there are cheaper options. hell when i got my x370 it wasnt the cheapest nor the most expensive, i could have spent over double but i didnt and guess what, it works :O shocker.

Caporegime
dear lord still with the motherboard moaning, LOOK its got pcie 4 so thats new and shiny, the extra build quality and the better cooling solution. also its NEW its going to cost more anyways. if you DONT NEEEEEEED PCIE 4 and DONT plan on clocking the spots off you're new ryzen 3000 series cpu DONT GET A X570!!!!!

how hard is it to get you DONT NEED IT, also if you do want a x570 you dont have to buy the most expensive there are cheaper options. hell when i got my x370 it wasnt the cheapest nor the most expensive, i could have spent over double but i didnt and guess what, it works :O shocker.

We know that, well most do. It will still be interesting to see what they do with B550, they are going to be cheaper.

Associate

But the Intel fans have got to find something to complain about! Especially if it performs the same as their expensive space heaters

Soldato
Ouch! No way is ASrock going to be able to charge £370 for a mid/high end board. Just no.

h8720sw05s631.png

@Journey thought you said £240-50 for Taichi ?

Associate
@Rossi~

0h4B7ia.jpg

C6H was sound buy then, even with 2xxx it was solid for me. If I was honest I have my eye on a C6H I plan to buy around 15/16th of this month. I plan to buy open box, so should come in ~£100 if what I hope occurs and it's still there to buy.

I plan to test with 3xxx and then compare same CPU on C7H. I'm hoping like when I did this same test with 2700X I have same CPU MHz and performance. Plus that the T-Topology allows for tuning room on 4 dimms vs the daisy chain. When I mean tuning not that I saw difference on RAM MHz/timings, but I had more "manoeuvrability" on settings like ProcODT, RTT, CAD Bus. The C7H daisy chain didn't allow many changes to these settings without throwing a spat when on 4 dimms.

One reason besides others I wanna get the 3xxx, it has a menu which has not been shown on 1xxx/2xxx on AM4, but is on Threadripper. PMU Training menu aka IMC, link.

As long as C6H has all the menus I want and performs as I expect, I plan on selling off the C7H.
Why sell C7H and keep C6H ??? You know I have much better experience with C7H Cause

I wanna be able to use 4 dimm kit I have at more close to speeds 2 do. I'm hoping Zen2 finally allows this.

For example the current 2700X I have, on 2 dimms of 8GB single rank/sided can do 3533MHz C14 1T or 3600MHz C15 1T and when really pushed 3666MHz C15 1T on 2 dimms, but sucks at 4 dimms. 3200MHz is about all I get, 3333MHz can at times pass good lengthy testing and at time fail quick. On the C6H I could with differing CPU, but same RAM get 3333MHz sound and 3400MHz was hit'n'miss. The T-Topology ever so slightly helped and as stated before I could tinker more settings without board having a spat.

If running 2 dimms the C7H is sound IMO. Perhaps with improved IMC of 3xxx, even 4 dimms on daisy chain will be sound.

As i mentioned ages ago in this thread, i fully intend to keep my CH6 because it is just a very flexible mobo bios wise. But i also intend to pair it with a 3950x, so have until September to read and digest what others are saying about all the different mobo combinations paired with this Sundays CPU launch. If it becomes obvious that x570 is the best route, then i will take it. But if there is not much difference, or x570 is the same i can see me keeping the CH6 until it becomes completely obsolete.

I agree.

I doubt very much X370/X470 will be vastly behind X570 once some time has passed and FW on those is up to scratch.

The VRM is still sound on C6H. At most I saw ~5C difference between the 10 vcore phases on C7H vs 8 on C6H. I believe it will still be solid with a 3xxx.

I only sold my C6H as ASUS sent me C7H FOC. At the time I thought sell the C6H before it loses too much, as people will perceive it to be poorer than X470 when it wasn't. I believe due to X570 pricing the C7H is still gonna hold decent price on 2nd hand market. And I can take advantage of the X370 (C6H) pricing be on board that will run 3xxx, bank the money from sale of C7H for say next gen socket.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
We know that, well most do. It will still be interesting to see what they do with B550, they are going to be cheaper.

end of the day the b550 will hit and people who bought within the first month will be out of pocket, same as what has happened before. just seems because its AMD being first to the game with something new for a change everyone forgets intel and nvidia (nforce) charging a premium when they had the new stuff. as has been raised god only knows what intel would be charging for similar spec'd motherboards.

Associate

If you're new to Ryzen, going b450/x470 is a hassle, as you need to buy/borrow an old CPU from somewhere to bootstrap & update bios. Less of an issue on B450 due to usb flashback being more widely available, but if you want something that 'just works' x570 is the only option at launch and it's pricey. It's not the end of the world but it's not irrelevant.

Soldato
The most thing ridiculous about all this?

OCUK won't tell us the bloody prices of the motherboards! Why? Why would the price of something be a secret. it makes no sense. AMD released the MSRP of the chips weeks ago. Why are the motherboard prices so hidden? I mean we are going to find out on sunday. So why not now? Would help us plan our builds. All this uber secrecy is just plain stupid and actually annoys me. You don't get this in other industries, consumers wouldn't tolerate it.
When Tesla announce a new car. They tell you the price. Months before it's ready for purchase! Same with anything. Just PC hardware they take their customers for mugs.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
If you're new to Ryzen, going b450/x470 is a hassle, as you need to buy/borrow an old CPU from somewhere to bootstrap & update bios. Less of an issue on B450 due to usb flashback being more widely available, but if you want something that 'just works' x570 is the only option at launch and it's pricey. It's not the end of the world but it's not irrelevant.

again how is it pricey there are cheaper boards they are not all 300+ or can people only buy expensive ones now ?

GAC

GAC

Soldato
The most thing ridiculous about all this?

OCUK won't tell us the bloody prices of the motherboards! Why? Why would the price of something be a secret. it makes no sense. AMD released the MSRP of the chips weeks ago. Why are the motherboard prices so hidden? I mean we are going to find out on sunday. So why not now? Would help us plan our builds. All this uber secrecy is just plain stupid and actually annoys me. You don't get this in other industries, consumers wouldn't tolerate it.
When Tesla announce a new car. They tell you the price. Months before it's ready for purchase! Same with anything. Just PC hardware they take their customers for mugs.

could be nda with amd or with the pound being all over the shop this past week maybe they cant go live with prices as they havent been charged yet, who knows. but it is annoying.

Soldato
Yeah, B550 not being available straight away is a bit of a pain but I think only enthusiasts really buy CPUs immediately after launch so it's not a huge deal. Most buyers will either buy X570 or be savvy enough to get an older board with an updated BIOS.

Back
Top Bottom