Over 400 million people drink from their toilet everyday

Caporegime
Maybe you need to learn history.

India had British rule too for 100 years.

I wasn't going to mention that but now you did then I ask you.

Actually, 190 years to be precise, 40 years more than the Rule on Hong Kong.

How come with a similar time frame HK has become more modernised, and cleaner than it’s Chinese counter part yet Indian hasn’t? 190 years of British rule and it is still filthy, whereas Hong Kong is not.

Is it because the Indians just can’t shift that mentality “is someone else’s problem”. How come 190 years can't change their mentality?

Stop deflecting to something like driving you have no evidence of, the driving thing is 100% anecdote, have you seen the roads in India vs China? Please, keep it on topic. And stop blaming other people. The Chinese don't crap on the streets in Dehli, Indians do. Take some responsibility, like that video says.

And not throw rubbish on the street is not something you need to be taught in school, it's not "education", at least its not all of it. It should be taught at home, by their parents, "Put that in the bin!".

Being clean is something everyone should know, and everyone should do. You don't need it taught in class.

Caporegime
I wasn't going to mention that but now you did then I ask you.

Actually, 190 years to be precise, 40 years more than the Rule on Hong Kong.

How come with a similar time frame HK has become more modernised, and cleaner than it’s Chinese counter part yet Indian hasn’t? 190 years of British rule and it is still filthy, whereas Hong Kong is not.

Is it because the Indians just can’t shift that mentality “is someone else’s problem”. How come 190 years can't change their mentality?

Stop deflecting to something like driving you have no evidence of, the driving thing is 100% anecdote, have you seen the roads in India vs China? Please, keep it on topic. And stop blaming other people. The Chinese don't crap on the streets in Dehli, Indians do. Take some responsibility, like that video says.

And not throw rubbish on the street is not something you need to be taught in school, it's not "education", at least its not all of it. It should be taught at home, by their parents, "Put that in the bin!".

Being clean is something everyone should know, and everyone should do. You don't need it taught in class.

oh god.

hong kong is the size of a postage stamp

if i wanted to clean up a flat i'd be able to clean it within a day. to clean up a country the size of india would take me billions of years.

so there you have it. it was easier for the british to keep control over a postage stamp and keep it clean.

the people you are talking about none of them can read or write.

there are people in britain here too like that and guess what. they are filthy. they are also white. if it's nothing to do with education then how come some people here are just as filthy? just a smaller minority due to access to education and wealth. those that are filthy are the ones who tended not to bother going to class or if they did ignored it all to act jack the lad.

so it is all about education. the more educated a nation the cleaner it is. also linked to wealth. the more wealthier a nation the cleaner it is. also to do with some other factors like under population, etc.

Last edited:
Caporegime
oh god.

if i wanted to clean up a flat i'd be able to clean it within a day. to clean up a country the size of india would take me billions of years.

so there you have it. it was easier for the british to keep control over a postage stamp and keep it clean.

there are people in britain here too like that and guess what. they are filthy. they are also white. if it's nothing to do with education then how come people here are just as filthy? just a smaller minority due to access to education and wealth. those that are filthy are the ones who tended not to bother going to class or if they did ignored it all to act jack the lad.

It’s not about cleaning up, I am talking about cultural habits. 190 years is like 5 generations, how many years does it take to teach your children not to throw rubbish on the street?

It doesn't take reading or writing skills to not crap on the street. There are poorer countries in the world with equal or lower literacy rate but they are not as dirty.

Stop making excuses, it doesn't take a degree to not litter.

Soldato
oh god.

there are people in britain here too like that and guess what. they are filthy. they are also white. if it's nothing to do with education then how come some people here are just as filthy? just a smaller minority due to access to education and wealth. those that are filthy are the ones who tended not to bother going to class or if they did ignored it all to act jack the lad.

so it is all about education. the more educated a nation the cleaner it is. also linked to wealth. the more wealthier a nation the cleaner it is. also to do with some other factors like under population, etc.

HK is much more than the city, its a whole region. Also the population is very dense, like Japan's. They are both quite clean places because the people keep it that way, they care. Size has nothing to do with it.

Soldato
OP
Progress, no matter how small, is progress.

If we have a country of 66million doing our bit to save the environment (even though it's an oxymoron as we'll happily destroy the environment in order for us to have roads & houses & shops & industry) vs a country of over 20 times that polluting, you'll eventually end up with a positive gain of pollution so the progress is essentially meaningless, even if we were to take the whole of Europe, India still has twice the population so for every 1 of us cleaning up, there's 2 of them making a mess

I'm not saying we shouldn't do our part, I'm just playing devils advocate by pointing out the futility of doing it until everyone comes on board

Soldato
I'm not saying we shouldn't do our part, I'm just playing devils advocate by pointing out the futility of doing it until everyone comes on board

That isn't how attitude change works. If you dont bother doing it until everyone else does it, then you will never get to the point where anyone does it.

We have seen pressure been put on high emission countries in the last few decades by countries that went cleaner years ago. Sure high emission countries are still polluting but many have slowed their increase and are investing massively in green sectors. In fact even though china is one of the worst polluters they are also heading some of the best green research in the world and have made real efforts in conservation and recycling (such as when they recently completely banned the importing of rubbish to be dumped, much of it was our 'recycling').

Say what you will about these countries but change happens gradually and when most the stuff you own has something that is made in China or India, you are at least partly responsible. The UK has been very good at passing the buck environmentally.

Soldato
If we have a country of 66million doing our bit to save the environment (even though it's an oxymoron as we'll happily destroy the environment in order for us to have roads & houses & shops & industry) vs a country of over 20 times that polluting, you'll eventually end up with a positive gain of pollution so the progress is essentially meaningless, even if we were to take the whole of Europe, India still has twice the population so for every 1 of us cleaning up, there's 2 of them making a mess

We can, should and are leading by example. There is no reason to stop, and all the reason to ramp up our own efforts.

Soldato
That isn't how attitude change works. If you dont bother doing it until everyone else does it, then you will never get to the point where anyone does it.

We have seen pressure been put on high emission countries in the last few decades by countries that went cleaner years ago. Sure high emission countries are still polluting but many have slowed their increase and are investing massively in green sectors. In fact even though china is one of the worst polluters they are also heading some of the best green research in the world and have made real efforts in conservation and recycling (such as when they recently completely banned the importing of rubbish to be dumped, much of it was our 'recycling').

Say what you will about these countries but change happens gradually and when most the stuff you own has something that is made in China or India, you are at least partly responsible. The UK has been very good at passing the buck environmentally.

China and India make so many things because they've undercut Western manufacturing by paying rock bottom wages, having worse quality control and by not having the strict rules that we have in this country on the environment, and health and safety, etc. It's not the UK's fault that we now have to buy from these countries, we are not at all responsible for their utterly terrible environmental practices, our manufacturing sector is actually a victim of them. This is just utter apologist behaviour in action.

Soldato
Sure, the customer isn't responsible for what they buy...

It is our attitude to have it all for the least money that has created a market where cheap manufacturing can boom. The reason why our manufacturing sector has suffered is because of this attitude.

Take some self responsibility, no one is forcing you to buy crap stuff and blame foreigners. I am not saying everything you buy should be UK made, just pointing out the hypocrisy when people complain about cheap Chinese tat when they are at the consumer end of the equation.

The problem will never be solved so long as you refuse to recognize that there is more than the manufacturer involved. It isn't difficult to understand that so long as there is money to be made by abusing the system, then someone will always abuse it.

EVERYONE is to blame. This does not absolve the east of guilt or you or myself. I try my best to reduce my needless purchases and recently have redoubled my efforts to minimize single use plastics. The 'What's the point?' attitude in OP is pretty damaging to changing this wasteful culture and so is the attitude that the problem is solely everyone else.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Yeah, dirty devils, not like the British Green loving youth..... Aftermath of Glastonbury 2019, despite all the luvvies citing Green issues.
glastonbury2019.jpg

Caporegime
'Still new'? India has had access to Western toilet technology for at least 70 years, and they've known for millennia that when you put excrement in moving water, it goes away (hence the common use of the Ganges).

The infrastructure isn't there because they can't be bothered to build it. The mentality is there because they don't want to change. It's still a very backward country in many ways.

See above link. They do and they are changing, quite significantly.

Soldato
Yeah, dirty devils, not like the British Green loving youth..... Aftermath of Glastonbury 2019, despite all the luvvies citing Green issues.
glastonbury2019.jpg

Looked the same after the "climate change protests" in London. Which were clearly just an excuse for unemployed hipsters to vandalise things.

See above link. They do and they are changing, quite significantly.

Yea they are building a space program. In space they will just crap out of the airlock.

Back
Top Bottom