alienware AW3418DW Availability in the UK?

Associate
Was it by any chance they started flickering when the weather got hotter?

Or did they both just start at 6 weeks and nothing to do with the temperature?

The ones I had basically both started at about the exact same point at around the 6 week mark.
I thought I would try the monitor one last time and I've luckily been lucky with this one.
No issues at 120hz.

Soldato
Hey, does anyone have a dell discount code they can lend me? My NHS bluelight thing isn't working... and my sisters uni days doesn't seem to be working either :(

Soldato
Edit:
£850 -£75 AMEX cashback -£85 Blue light discount = £689
Then minus VAT = £551

Very happy with that price given I was going to get the ElectriQ ultrawide for £350 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:
Associate
I've been using mine for 6 months now, I use an all black wallpaper and you can see a tiny amount of bleed in the corners (30 brightness). I find the black bars in youtube videos give the same issue. If you use any other wallpaper other than black or do anything else on the screen it's basically perfect. I got mine for around £700 with bluelight discount, although they messed up the delivery date and sent me back another £80, I didn't even ask for it :p

The curve is a bit weird at first, after a while you can't live without it. The ambient light from the back is a benefit I never thought of. Lastly, the box is stupidly big, it's almost ridiculous.

Soldato
I've been using mine for 6 months now, I use an all black wallpaper and you can see a tiny amount of bleed in the corners (30 brightness). I find the black bars in youtube videos give the same issue. If you use any other wallpaper other than black or do anything else on the screen it's basically perfect. I got mine for around £700 with bluelight discount, although they messed up the delivery date and sent me back another £80, I didn't even ask for it :p

The curve is a bit weird at first, after a while you can't live without it. The ambient light from the back is a benefit I never thought of. Lastly, the box is stupidly big, it's almost ridiculous.

I love it but I do have some blacklight bleed in the left and right corners bottom.. especially the left side.

not sure whether to get a replacement panel in? I have the brightness set at around 50 which I thought was acceptable brightness.
This monitor is the total package for me.. any wider is so difficult to use as i even find this hard. immersion given my distance is good, and gsync is god damn flawless... like its witchcraft on what it does to some games and framrates.

shall i get a replacement panel in? this one overclocks to 120.. so im just worried incase i get some awful **** panel.

Associate
I love it but I do have some blacklight bleed in the left and right corners bottom.. especially the left side.

not sure whether to get a replacement panel in? I have the brightness set at around 50 which I thought was acceptable brightness.
This monitor is the total package for me.. any wider is so difficult to use as i even find this hard. immersion given my distance is good, and gsync is god damn flawless... like its witchcraft on what it does to some games and framrates.

shall i get a replacement panel in? this one overclocks to 120.. so im just worried incase i get some awful **** panel.

I believe all IPS panels have this issue, the 3418 just has less, it's slightly annoying but the alternative is to wait 3 years for cheap OLEDs. It's your personal call to return it.

Soldato
Is that a black background? if it is and that photo is a good representation of reality then you definitely have more bleed than me. I have a hunch that photo is making it look worse.

Yup its a black background. I phoned dell, they've sent out a replacement and said I can keep both for a day and compare them.

Associate
Mine arrived today got it setup and played 10min of Doom before I had to pick me son up from nursery, won’t get a chance to try it toll tomorrow now. But 1st impressions are good, while the size and shape feel a bit weird and there is a slight loss of sharpness from 4K that seems balanced out by the smoothness of the 100mhz compared to 60mhz and being able to turn on the extra bells and whistles in the gfx settings.

Associate
Mine arrived today got it setup and played 10min of Doom before I had to pick me son up from nursery, won’t get a chance to try it toll tomorrow now. But 1st impressions are good, while the size and shape feel a bit weird and there is a slight loss of sharpness from 4K that seems balanced out by the smoothness of the 100mhz compared to 60mhz and being able to turn on the extra bells and whistles in the gfx settings.

Great stuff, don't forget to turn on the refresh overdrive, boosts in 5hz increments upto 120hz.

A monitor arm isn't a bad investment if you want to reclaim some desk space, the rainforest basics is a rebadged ergotron and works well.

Associate
Well had a chance to play around a bit more and while I still miss the 4K resolution and I think it might take a bit of time to get used to the shape I am happy with it. As those issues are balanced out by the 120hz refresh, better colours of the IPS screen compared to TN and the curved UW format.

My only issue is the joy of IPS bleed which seems pretty bad in the bottom left corner on black screens, I have turned the brightness down from the high stock setting of 75 to 35 and that in all honesty made little difference. Considering contacting Dell to see if I can get a different screen as per the above person.

However I am concerned about get the extra screen because 1. this screen has no pixel issues at all which is great as pixel problems would bug me more than bleed. 2. The box for this monitor is absolutely huge I genuinely don’t think I have anywhere else in the house I could store it without wife issues.

Soldato
This is £850 direct from Dell at the moment.

Code MUBLACKFRIDAY takes it down to £713.54.

Amex are running a card member offer to take £75 off a £400 spend at Dell, so it would be a bit cheaper on top of that price if you have Amex (and the offer applies).

Lastly whatever TCB/Quidco deal you can get for some cashback would be worth doing. Might be as much as 8% cashback at TCB.

Associate
Been after a 34" UW to replace an aged crossover 27P-LED with a failing panel for a while now, Had my eye on the LG 34GK950F but it's pretty much out of stock everywhere and has risen in price a lot lately.

After HungryHippos posted the deal from Dell i've jumped on this and it should be arriving soon!

Hopefully i win the panel lottery and get no stuck/dead pixels and minimal backlight bleed!

Does anyone know how Dell are at swapping units if they have dead/stuck pixels or huge bleed?

Caporegime
Been after a 34" UW to replace an aged crossover 27P-LED with a failing panel for a while now, Had my eye on the LG 34GK950F but it's pretty much out of stock everywhere and has risen in price a lot lately.

After HungryHippos posted the deal from Dell i've jumped on this and it should be arriving soon!

Hopefully i win the panel lottery and get no stuck/dead pixels and minimal backlight bleed!

Does anyone know how Dell are at swapping units if they have dead/stuck pixels or huge bleed?
Dell are really good, even to the point they'll send another screen and you can even pick the one you want to keep or even return them both.

Back
Top Bottom