What book are you reading...

Soldato
Got a Kindle Paperwhite so started reading before bedtime last week. Continuing the Arisen series, it's cheesy but I'm on book 10 now so may as well finish the series.

Associate
A very interesting insight into the fall of any Empire, be it ancient or modern.....all Empires are destined to FALL...sooner or later :)
51Ep4GLDLbL.jpg

Soldato
I blame my Paperwhite for losing more hours of sleep since I got it.

Currently reading Zadie Smith's The Autograph Man.

It is a double edged sword when you hit the right chapter :D

Still better than the really bad habit I've developed of spending too much time on my laptop or phone before I fall asleep.

Permabanned
Just finished the Nights Dawn trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton, its a sci fi series. Includes three(obviously) books The Reality Dysfunction, The Neutronium Alchemist and The Naked God.

There is some good sci fi in the series but it sort of verges on fantasy at times and I was a little unsure about that. The ending is also really trite and a little bit disappointing.

I mostly enjoyed the books and would give them a 6.5/10

Associate
Last night I did finish "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell" by Susanna Clarke. A book about English magicians in the beginning of the 19th century. A quite book even though it was a bit on the slow side.

Tonight I started Annhilation by Jeff Vandermeer, really like it this far.

Soldato
Just finished Malice by John Gwynne. Fantasy novel about...
Young Corban watches enviously as boys become warriors, learning the art of war. He yearns to wield his sword and spear to protect his king’s realm. But that day will come all too soon. Only when he loses those he loves will he learn the true price of courage.

The Banished Lands has a violent past where armies of men and giants clashed in battle, the earth running dark with their heartsblood. Although the giant-clans were broken in ages past, their ruined fortresses still scar the land. But now giants stir anew, the very stones weep blood and there are sightings of giant wyrms. Those who can still read the signs see a threat far greater than the ancient wars. Sorrow will darken the world, as angels and demons make it their battlefield. Then there will be a war to end all wars.

High King Aquilus summons his fellow kings to council, seeking an alliance in this time of need. Prophesy indicates darkness and light will demand two champions, the Black Sun and the Bright Star. They would be wise to seek out both, for if the Black Sun gains ascendancy, mankind’s hopes and dreams will fall to dust.

Lots of talk about it being slow to start, but having read Game of Thrones, it really isn't that slow. I liked the characters and the plot, and the world is quite interesting, so I'll look to get the 2nd in the series soon.

Soldato
So, where do I go from here, a little while ago I finished off The Expanse apart from the final book (waiting for paperback). Then moved onto Revelation Space which while heavy going is one of the best sci-fi books i've read in my life. I've just yesterday finished Children of Time and again, it's up there is some of the better sci-fi i've read.

What's a logical progression from here without moving onto anything related to the above but staying within the sci-fi genre?

Soldato
So, where do I go from here, a little while ago I finished off The Expanse apart from the final book (waiting for paperback). Then moved onto Revelation Space which while heavy going is one of the best sci-fi books i've read in my life. I've just yesterday finished Children of Time and again, it's up there is some of the better sci-fi i've read.

What's a logical progression from here without moving onto anything related to the above but staying within the sci-fi genre?

Richard Morgan's Takishi Kovacs books, starting with "Altered Carbon".
Peter F Hamilton's Mindstar books, starting with "Mindstar Rising".
Jack McDevitt's Alex Benedict books, starting with "A Talent For War".
Iain M Banks Culture books, starting with "The Player Of Games".
Dennis E Taylor Bobiverse books, starting with "We Are Legion (We Are Bob)"

Also look at Neal Asher (particularly the Agent Cormac and Spatterjay books), Charles Stross (Singularity Sky and Laundry books)

Soldato
Richard Morgan's Takishi Kovacs books, starting with "Altered Carbon".
Peter F Hamilton's Mindstar books, starting with "Mindstar Rising".
Jack McDevitt's Alex Benedict books, starting with "A Talent For War".
Iain M Banks Culture books, starting with "The Player Of Games".
Dennis E Taylor Bobiverse books, starting with "We Are Legion (We Are Bob)"

Also look at Neal Asher (particularly the Agent Cormac and Spatterjay books), Charles Stross (Singularity Sky and Laundry books)

Thanks for those, will have a read up about each when I get home later. Only ones i've read in that list are Iain M Banks but that was 25 years ago in school/college.

Soldato
Just finished the Kovacs trilogy aftering seeing it recommended here, having already seen Altered Carbon on Netflix. Great series of books, builds such an interesting world, sort of suprised to see that it is just 3 books in all honesty as there seemed to be scope for much more.

Soldato
Just finished the Kovacs trilogy aftering seeing it recommended here, having already seen Altered Carbon on Netflix. Great series of books, builds such an interesting world, sort of suprised to see that it is just 3 books in all honesty as there seemed to be scope for much more.

Morgan said he didn't want to be defined by writing the one character, although with the recent Netflix series, he has opened the door slightly to maybe doing more Kovacs books in the future.

If you liked those, you should also look at Black Man (called Thirteen in the US), and Thin Air, also by Richard Morgan. It's a different take on a couple of Kovacs-like characters. Morgan describes Kovacs as a warrior of the mind, so he can always escape consequences by putting on a new sleeve. The characters in Black Man and Thin Air don't have that escape, and are trapped in the genetically adapted bodies that define who and what they are.

Back
Top Bottom