Stolen phone - what to do

ADT

ADT

Associate
Hi all,

An elderly relative of mine had their phone snatched out of their hand at a bus stop yesterday.

What’s the best way to make this phone as useless as possible to the scum that stole it?

So far we have turned on lost mode on iCloud, called the network carrier and had them issue a new sim and black list the phone’s imei number. Phone stolen was an iPhone 7.

Is there anything else that can be done?

Soldato
Sounds like a tasty phone they lost.

Had to look that up :o:D

I take it thieves have a way around all these locks / protections as why do they keep stealing them if they are useless once reported? I know they aren't the smartest but they must have some value once blacklisted.

Soldato
You've done as much as possible. I had my phone Stolen once the police managed to find it a few days later. Claim on insurance if it had any.

Now, may I have some of the stollen cake on offer?

bol

bol

Associate
People steal UK iPhones because there is a low counterfeit risk. They are then sold in third world countries such as Africa where the network connection standards are not as stringent as here. Makes no difference if the phone is blacklisted.

Man of Honour
People steal UK iPhones because there is a low counterfeit risk. They are then sold in third world countries such as Africa where the network connection standards are not as stringent as here. Makes no difference if the phone is blacklisted.

Oooh. In this instance though, you should just give OP's nan's phone back.

Soldato
Use anti theft software to get GPS coordinates and photograph the thief, then use GD to help track down the thief and keep us informed while the police close in, arrest the thief and the event makes the national press.

Simple!

I don't think this is a thread for trolling guys.

Not a lot can be done I'm afraid OP. You can ban the IMEI number like you have already done, but it only works on a country by country basis. The thieves will buy a compatible charger for chips then sell that plus the handset overseas to a known country where the IMEI will work again.

On lost mode / iCloud, if you are able to remote-format the handset, then do that. It should delete all personal data including the contacts and any attached accounts.

ADT

ADT

Associate
OP
Didn’t realise one extra letter would cause so much drama :D

In my defence I’m on my phone at work and didn’t realise the crime I had committed :D

Anyways the phone is not insured I believe so that’s a lesson learnt!

And yes find my iPhone was enabled

Associate

This is true for dumb phones like Nokia's of the past but afaik your apple id can lock the phone so it can not be used anymore.

There are ways around it though.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8xyq8v/how-to-unlock-icloud-stolen-iphone

Back
Top Bottom