Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Associate
Movement seems ok a few of the tacked on Vr controls like picking up items is a little clunky but not too bad. I tend to play seated but with the odd activity standing is better (potion making). I find it best to set the guardian system to room scale with a wide area around your seat in this game.

Associate
Decided the give the Virtual Desktop Steam streaming a go. Just hadn't got around to it in a bit, so made sure the sideloaded version was installed etc.

Problem is, I was wanting to stream from my main PC as opposed to one I as using for Vive stuff, but nothing happening. Steam, through VD, reports that the headset is not connected (massive surprise there), so I'm assuming that VD doesn't 'trick' SteamVR into thinking a Vive is connected etc.

Can't seem to get a straight answer on this online, so im wondering if anyone else is streaming stuff without a Vive/Rift hooked up to the PC ? Or does the back end require the HMD to be present for streaming ?

Soldato
OP
Decided the give the Virtual Desktop Steam streaming a go. Just hadn't got around to it in a bit, so made sure the sideloaded version was installed etc.

Problem is, I was wanting to stream from my main PC as opposed to one I as using for Vive stuff, but nothing happening. Steam, through VD, reports that the headset is not connected (massive surprise there), so I'm assuming that VD doesn't 'trick' SteamVR into thinking a Vive is connected etc.

Can't seem to get a straight answer on this online, so im wondering if anyone else is streaming stuff without a Vive/Rift hooked up to the PC ? Or does the back end require the HMD to be present for streaming ?
You do have SteamVR installed on this other PC too? Only used ALVR but that worked from my laptop which has no HMD attached to it. Have you run through the SteamVR setup?

Associate
Yes. Only freshly installed the framework along with a number of VR titles I'd already owned.
It's just the VR PC is in the middle of a reinstall, so just wanted to try out the streaming on my main one in the meantime.
The main one has never had the Vive hooked up to it, so maybe that's something that has to be done first.

Not a major problem, but it's odd because any of the guides out there regarding streaming just don't seem to mention anything about needing or not needing the HMD hooked up - I'd just assumed some software was in place to fool the backend.

Soldato
Managed to get my hands on one, what games to people think make a good starting point?

Superhot, Beat Saber, UltraWings Robo Recall, Space Pirate Trainer are my current favourite VR games.

Also, give Rec Room Paintball and capture the flag a try as it's free and fantastic.

Soldato
Vader Immortal is fun, if short.
Drop Dead is a surprisingly fun time-crisis style zombie shooter, and looks great.

Most of my time is spent in Space Pirate Trainer, as it's amazing when you have room to move around and dodge the bullets.

Soldato
Space Pirate trainer is epic but we could do with more 360 games for the Quest now. No need for any barriers now in regards to having to face one direction.

Soldato
Space Pirate trainer is epic but we could do with more 360 games for the Quest now. No need for any barriers now in regards to having to face one direction.

Beat Saber 360 degree update is coming. Vader Immortal Dojo is 360 degrees on the Quest (There's a 360 degree option on rift too, but the default is 180 for obvious reasons). Racket NX is a 360 degree future squash/tennis style game, that's coming soon to the Quest.

If In-Death could be ported it'd be a perfect 360 degree game. My Rift's cord gets massively tangled from all the turning when playing it.

And of course Pavlov and Onward are coming soon and benefit from the full freedom of movement the Quest provides.

Associate
Apart from the usual popular games, make sure you try out Crisis VRigade, which is free to sideload on SideQuest.

I've now done the DAS mod and the comfort is soo much better. Also having the convenience of the built in headphones is awesome, much better volume and clarity. Great for demoing to people too.

Just came across this video for wearing the Quest 'correctly', which I think is similar to RaMarcus's one, but this shows a nice camera angle from the back of the head.

Associate
Actually ditched the DAS mod on my one earlier in the week after a fortnight of use. Primarily because I've still to find a proper decent case that's be as convenient to use as the normal one.
But I'm not overly convinced it's a one-shot 'best solution' in any case. Don't really have an issue with the comfort of the original strap, and I think the comfort improvement is somewhat exaggerated online.
Plus, I found it very hard to find that sweet-spot in the lens with the DAS, not an issue at all with the normal setup. The hot weather at the moment doesn't help either, the DAS becomes a bit of a downer with all that extra padding. Audio is certainly an improvement, but even then the DAS doesn't quite measure up to proper dedicated headphones, but the ease of use is easily the best thing about them.

Will probably go back to it at some point (when the VR Cover can be checked out with both), but I'd hesitate in recommending someone going out and buying one solely for the purpose of the mod (unless it can be got on the cheap).

Soldato
Beat Saber 360 degree update is coming. Vader Immortal Dojo is 360 degrees on the Quest (There's a 360 degree option on rift too, but the default is 180 for obvious reasons). Racket NX is a 360 degree future squash/tennis style game, that's coming soon to the Quest.

If In-Death could be ported it'd be a perfect 360 degree game. My Rift's cord gets massively tangled from all the turning when playing it.

And of course Pavlov and Onward are coming soon and benefit from the full freedom of movement the Quest provides.

Its a really rubbish 360 degrees because it constantly tells you whenever you walk a bit to go back into position.

Associate
Don't really have an issue with the comfort of the original strap, and I think the comfort improvement is somewhat exaggerated online.

If you didn't have comfort issues with the original strap you're bound to think the improvement is exaggerated, as you didn't notice a big improvement. For me it's like night and day. With the original strap I could literally play for 5-10mins before getting pain. With this I've played over an hour with no issues at all. There's no way I could go back to the original strap now. I've used the fake leather VR cover too which is more comfortable on my face.

Associate
one of my sons has purchases Super hot on the quest, now my other son wants to play it.

Is there any way of having 2 game saves so they can both have their own progress?

will this be the same with a lot of quest games where they have to shre progress?

Could really do with a family account....

Soldato
OP
one of my sons has purchases Super hot on the quest, now my other son wants to play it.

Is there any way of having 2 game saves so they can both have their own progress?

will this be the same with a lot of quest games where they have to shre progress?

Could really do with a family account....
AFAIK it's a single account device. Almost as if they want you to buy more than one :eek::D

Associate

In the latest SuperHot update they added multiple save slots.
161679ed0f18016b9f5a04221d99e789.png

Back
Top Bottom