**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Man of Honour
Is that a user rating? User reviews on there mean little IMO.

I would personally not be putting a 'Roadstone' tyre onto either of my cars.

Permabanned
Better in what way. Those ratings are a waste of time

What other way do we have to determine how a tyre performs? I would gather the EU wet test is a fair one to use? Or is this all false advertising? Its a struggle find tests with this tyre.

I'm just trying to understand how a tyre valued at £48 seems to be better than an £95 Dunlop.

Same for Falken and Toyo. These are scored bad in the wet but there raved everywhere because of the name?

I'm happy to learn and far from a tyre snob so these have caught my eye.

I have Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 and there a terrible tyre, wear quick and very poor in the wet.

Permabanned
Well been on a budget and needing all 4 I went with Falken FK510 they will be replacing Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 @£59 a corner for 225/40/18

I couldn't like the above choose a tyre not a know brand. It was between the Avon ZV7 or Firestone Roadhawk all between £58-£65 a tyre. Every review seems to pick the Falken in the UHP range pitted against the likes of the Michelin and Continental and seemed to fair well at half the cost.

Hopefully I wont immediately find a ditch :D

Soldato
My 530d will soon need new tyres on the rear axle. I'm starting to consider ditching run flats.

What are the best run flat and non-run flat tyres available for the below sizes (it's a staggered setup):
2 x 245/45 R18
2 x 275/40 R18

Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2 appear to be the most budget friendly option from the higher tier manufacturers. £509 for a set of 4 fitted.

My current tyres are Pirelli Cinturato P7 runflats.

Last edited:
Soldato
My last tyres were Dunlop Sport maxx RT2 and I found them quite good in the wet - it was reason I bought them - Now on Rainsport 3 - The way I drive I doubt I will ever lose it in the dry but wet is another matter.

Associate
Morning all,

Anyone in the St Albans area recommend a tyre shop? I need to replace two 19" run flats. I don't mind if the place isn't the most cheapest, just don't want the wheels damaged.

Thanks

Man of Honour
Great vid, I really like his reviews. Thanks. I'll probably get those Goodyears for my M140 when the Super Sports have had it and also for the FD2 for wet track days.

Associate
Problem with user reviews is that they are inherently biased, and the expectations are different for a cheap tyre vs an expensive one. You're more likely to be extra critical of a £150 Continental than a £40 Ling Long.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Looks like my PSSs on the front have worn down to 1.9mm in the middle just before it’s due an MOT. I’ve been running them a little over-inflated recently due to long-distance family jaunts fully loaded but didn’t bother deflating between the fully-laden runs. Balls.

So they’re 2.9-1.9-2.9 and 2.8-1.9-2.8 across the front.

Worth replacing now before the MOT or just bin them when I put the winters on in a few months?
I’ve found PS4s for €130 each online. Won’t get them much cheaper than that over here..

mjt

mjt

Soldato
It's going to be a while before putting winter tyres on makes sense. I wouldn't feel comfortable driving a car with substantially less than 3 mm thread.
You're probably right. I've got nearly 34,000 miles out of the fronts and the rears still have 5-6mm on. I had the wheels spinning up on the wet Autoroute yesterday, and I didn't have a massive amount of confidence in them through standing water. I had this down to the full boot and bikes on the back, but I'm not sure why I was even contemplating keeping them on for another few months! With 2 small children in the back, safety first.

Soldato
Been reading through, thanks for the recommends from all folks. I've gone for MPS4's to replace MPS3's 235/40/18. Cheapest i found was ATS at £214 fitted for 2 fronts. Code for Tyres on the Drive if it helps anyone is 10OFF2 for 10% off 2 or more tyres.

Back
Top Bottom