Gadget Insurance

Soldato
What are you looking to cover? I just have a bundled phone insurance through Nationwide premium current account and believe all high-street banks use the same company (Lifestyle Services Group). Decent value if you use all the benefits.

Other stuff can to a degree be covered under house contents or travel insurance, depending on scenarios you need cover for.

Soldato
Other stuff can to a degree be covered under house contents

If you claim under house contents, you might well find yourself subject to increased premiums for the next five years. If the claim is for a £300 screen repair, it could easily cost that much for the added premiums.

Soldato
Yeah personally I wouldn't bother with house contents for phone repairs, especially since I already have cover through the current account.

Soldato
If you claim under house contents, you might well find yourself subject to increased premiums for the next five years. If the claim is for a £300 screen repair, it could easily cost that much for the added premiums.

For a screen repair you'd normally need some sort of accidental damage cover addition. I think standard contents insurance normally only covers for things like theft, or if your house burned down.

The questions the OP needs to answer are; what gadgets he wants to cover + costs, does he want to cover them in the home, or out of the home (+ abroad if travelling), and whether they want to be able to claim for accidental damage.

Soldato
I purchased a policy from switchedoninsurance.com - my wife and I had just taken delivery of new Galaxy S8 handsets and didn't fancy breaking them early into ownership.
They offer a "3 device" policy for the same cost as insurance those two phones.
So I had my two S8's covered for accidental damage and breakdown and my PS4 Pro for breakdown for £100.

I've had my renewal quote come through and they are asking for £125 for the same three devices for another year - I think there is a tier up which also includes loss, we decided we were more likely to have it damaged or stolen than simply lost.

Soldato
Only issue with these types of policies is you need to have the original invoice on the phone, most of the time eBay purchases aren’t covered so used handsets is a no go.

Back
Top Bottom