• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to Cut Prices of its Desktop Processors by 15% in Response to Ryzen 3000

Associate
Your run rate doesn't look too bad, you should qualify for the MM in 2050 AD give or take.
I will be looking forward to that :) Tbh I did not know about the OCUK Forum until last year, and even then I thought it was dead like most forums now days but it seems there is a lot of active members so I will be here more often.

How the mighty Intel has fallen from its perch. This must have been a bitter pill to swallow,Just need a similar medication for Nvidia.
Whilst I am pro AMD and would love nothing more than strong marketplace competition, remember that Intel has had over a decade of the competition (AMD) playing catch up, with Intel being able to charge what they want and release their new CPU range at their own leisure with little pressure since the competition hasn't been close since the AMD 64 days.

Intel likely has plenty of new technology ideas that they have just kept back for a rainy day since the only CPUs they are replacing are their own models.

Caporegime
Whilst I am pro AMD and would love nothing more than strong marketplace competition, remember that Intel has had over a decade of the competition (AMD) playing catch up, with Intel being able to charge what they want and release their new CPU range at their own leisure with little pressure since the competition hasn't been close since the AMD 64 days.

Intel likely has plenty of new technology ideas that they have just kept back for a rainy day since the only CPUs they are replacing are their own models.

I was reading that Intel internal letter to employees on Reddit, one of the employees responding made the point that while Intel boasts 15,000 software engineers they lack CPU architects and engineers.

I think with Intel what you see is what they have, there is no "holding back"

Associate
I wish they would price cut by monday so I can make my choice between intel or AMD I doubt that will happen though, As for the MM market I had it and free delivery I have no access to my old Email and had to make a new account so Now I have too pay for delivery :(

I was reading that Intel internal letter to employees on Reddit, one of the employees responding made the point that while Intel boasts 15,000 software engineers they lack CPU architects and engineers.

I think with Intel what you see is what they have, there is no "holding back"
You could be correct, but a business doesn't exist to make their products the best they can be for the consumer. All they want is to use existing processes on assets that have paid for themselves already i.e. tweak current tech whilst there is no need for heavy investment (cash cow) :).

If you are correct (I hope you are) then PC hardware competition is about to get fierce, especially if the new AMD video cards are good too.

Last edited:
Associate
You could be correct, but a business doesn't exist to make their products the best they can be for the consumer. All they want is to use existing processes on assets that have paid for themselves already i.e. tweak current tech whilst there is no need for heavy investment (cash cow) :).

This is so true and some people will buy intel over AMD even if they just keep refreshing old tech. If I am honest I would lean towards Intel even if they haven't improved much in the last 4 years. The last AMD I had was blue screening all the time.

Soldato
Given how poor the 9xxx launch was if intel are holding back its not that good.

The 9xxx chips were heavily priced I expect for a combination of the following reasons.

Intel struggling to manufacture with solder, yield issues.
Intel struggling to make fast cpus without them becoming ovens, yield issues for best chips as well requiring solder
Intel struggling to make high core count cpus, yield issues
Intel unable to shrink nodes, they would do this regardless of competition as it increases profitability.
Also perhaps this one, intel know this is the last gen product they can keep their lead so possibly maximised profits on their final run.

Also remember a tech company competes with itself when a natural competitor is struggling, nvidia even admitted this when they launched maxwell, saying they had to make maxwell "good enough" to entice owners of 6xx and 7xx gpu's to upgrade. Its not like a food product where the product is consumed and as such regularly replaced, a tech product is used until the owner deems it a sensible financial decision to replace it.

Ultimately intel had no magic bullet to fend of ryzen, which is why they resorting to brute force performance gains which has skyrocketed their manufacturing costs. I think the 9 series was their worst product since the pentium 4. They are going back down the path of performance via heat and power.

Back
Top Bottom