Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

SPG

SPG

Soldato
First sprint Triathlon completed yesterday, Quite chuffed as only started running 6 weeks ago and i am old :)

Other disappointment was the swim was cancelled due to the blanket weed so a extra run at the start, and my fitness level for running is still pretty bad (6k) longest.

Still it help shifting the weight off :)

Soldato
Ouch. Well one for you all to laugh about.

Our car blew a tyre and it only had a can of tyre weld which is no good for a blown tyre.

Had my mother in law, wife and daughter in the car so ran about 3km back to our villa to get my phone to ring them a taxi. Not too bad except it was 4pm in peak sun and I was in flip flops. Tried to run barefoot but once I ran out of shade the tarmac was far too hot on my feet.

Had rationed my beer intake too to allow me to feel good tomorrow morning too. Let’s see how that works out!

Soldato
So hot yesterday morning running parkrun no. 263

Today though did the first running of the Melksham 10K the cloud cover and cooler temp was welcome and managed to set a 10K best time of 45:00.7

Bit annoyed at just missing out on a sub 45 but over the moon with the time as my previous best was 46:14 set last month.

Was also the first time wearing my Nike Vaporfly 4% running shoes for a 10K after doing 2 Marathons in them this year. I won’t wear anything else now for racing, I just hope they last a while as it’s going to be expensive replacing them

Apparently the longetivity of this shoe isnt so great but would like to hear your thoughts down the line.

But anyway Nike next% are out now replacing this shoe btw so maybe worth a look for you once you gone through them.

Associate
I've got a pair of Nike Zoom FlyKnits, they are the model down from the VapourFlys 4%, but use a lot of the same tech.

They only come out on special occasions, I really like them, they feel weird walking or running slowly, once you pick up your pace they really encourage you to push on.

Associate
If I am doing a long one in the evening, I tend to have a shower and a brew, followed by bed.

However, having damaged my MCL Ligament, I am not doing anything at the moment. Excellent training Chester in October :rolleyes:

Caporegime
I ask because mixed results, most say 2 hours minimum, I guess stopping 2 before bed so you have 2 hours to unwind is best, others say do minimal run and you'll be ok to goto bed straight away

After a run you want to re-hydrate and eat some food to replenish glycogen stores and boost muscle repair. That would be the minimum time between running and sleep. While it is not a big deal it is good to be able to walk around and stretch out your legs for a few hours to help recovery. I suspect if I did a decent run and went to bed soon afterwards i wouldn't get out of bed without a wheelchair the next day.

Associate
Bugger... Back from physio and I have damaged MCL Ligament and Medial Meniscus. So, no running for a while and a bunch of exercise to strengthen the area. I can ride my bike though, may have to be doing that in order to have some vague level of fitness in time for the Chester marathon in October.

Caporegime
Bugger... Back from physio and I have damaged MCL Ligament and Medial Meniscus. So, no running for a while and a bunch of exercise to strengthen the area. I can ride my bike though, may have to be doing that in order to have some vague level of fitness in time for the Chester marathon in October.

Sorry about that. I can add to the data that you tend to loose less fitness than you expect. After not training for 9 weeks after my stress fracture the first few weeks back were rough but now it actually feels close to normal. Now I'm sure if I was to race a marathon I woudl't get the time I wanted, those last 5-7 minutes have a huge training cost once you have hit close to your limits.

See if you can do aqua jogging. It is boring as **** but is the closest activity to running that activates the same muscles in the same way, but with zero impact. But you do have rotation around the knee but I suspect this is a similar force to cycling.

Underboss

how did the phisio know ?
ive never had this problem, so i do not know, but i see a phisio every 5 weeks for my back

Associate
I twisted my leg trying to dodge a car that stopped in front of me rather than the junction. I knew I had done something but hoped it would go on its own. Three weeks in and is didn't so I got an appt (Less than one week after GP saw me, so pretty good)

The guy took note of everything I mentioned and then had me on the bed and pulled/twisted etc and then confirmed what I thought but added the meniscus parts as a bonus.

I have exercises and so on to work that area and hopefully all will be well.

Was hoping to be sub 5hrs in the Marathon so hopefully a bit of cycling / swimming etc will mitigate the lack of running :)

Soldato
Out for a 10 mile today originally I was going for a half marathon but my right leg just seemed to give up for 2 miles at the 5 mile point I sunk from 8:40 a mile to 10 min miles for two miles.

I was able to regain form but I knew I wasnt beating my best time today so I packed up at 10 miles. I feel I might be going to fast out the blocks so I will look to go for about 9:00-9:10 per mile from the off in the future and try and pull back to 8 minutes later on.

I have been using them runderwear which was recommended unfortunately they seemed to start folding at the bottom when running causing chaffing they was good for a while though.

Back
Top Bottom