• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Caporegime
Well its not stealing is it. He isn't fraudulently activating it. The trial version simply lasts forever.

Or is using trial software now stealing?
That's an interesting definition of a "trial".

"I know what the software does; I know I need it; I'm going to use it forever and not pay for it."

That's a trial is it? Hmm, maybe my grasp of English is not as good as I thought.

Soldato

"I know what the software does; I know I need it; I'm going to use it forever and not pay for it."

That's a trial is it? Hmm, maybe my grasp of English is not as good as I thought.

If I play a Fifa demo forever, I'm now stealing it?

Maybe you do need to brush up on what steal means.

Caporegime
If I play a Fifa demo forever, I'm now stealing it?

Maybe you do need to brush up on what steal means.
Come on, you know that's not even the same situation. I'm not going to spell it out, you should be smart enough to realise what the difference is. If not, not much point me responding anyhow.

Soldato
Come on, you know that's not even the same situation. I'm not going to spell it out, you should be smart enough to realise what the difference is. If not, not much point me responding anyhow.

It is a trial version which doesn't turn off, as deliberately set by Microsoft. It is exactly the same.

The demo version of Windows also isn't the full version with clear indicators it's a demo version.

I use lot's of trial software forever btw, because they are 99% of the full version. I'm not stealing any of it and the software makers never say you are stealing it. They do it in the hope you like it enough to buy it (some of which I do). Microsoft are doing the same thing.

Caporegime
It is a trial version which doesn't turn off, as deliberately set by Microsoft. It is exactly the same.

The demo version of Windows also isn't the full version with clear indicators it's a demo version.

I use lot's of trial software forever btw, because they are 99% of the full version. I'm not stealing any of it and the software makers never say you are stealing it. They do it in the hope you like it enough to buy it (some of which I do). Microsoft are doing the same thing.
OK, well if you never pay for the software you use (seems to be a pattern...) then one of the following is true

1. You expect developers to work for free
2. You are a communist: "Someone else will pay for the software I use".

Ultimately, it's your choice.

Also if you decide never to pay for Windows, then you have no moral grounds to be opposed to the Microsoft Store. You can't oppose the only way they have left to monetise Windows to consumers.

Unless, again, you think they should work for free.

Anyway, I'm done, this is a hardware thread not Windows. My bad.

Soldato
OK, well if you never pay for the software you use (seems to be a pattern...) then one of the following is true

Also if you decide never to pay for Windows, then you have no moral grounds to be opposed to the Microsoft Store. You can't oppose the only way they have left to monetise Windows to consumers.

I have no problem with the Microsoft store.

I've gone from being a thief to a communist now.

I suppose you donate money to Google etc. to avoid being a communist and paying them for the work they put in to providing you services. Or perhaps you aren't smart enough to see it actually benefits Microsoft to have a wide install base of Windows amongst home users, hence they have deliberately not stopped it working after 30 days.

As for not paying for software I use. I wonder how many people on this forum pay for software like 3dmark or Memtest or Winrar etc. They must all be communists.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I have no problem with the Microsoft store.

I've gone from being a thief to a communist now.

I suppose you donate money to Google etc. to avoid being a communist and paying them for the work they put in to providing you services. Or perhaps you can't smart enough to see it actually benefits Microsoft to have a wide install base of Windows amongst home users, hence they have deliberately not stopped it working after 30 days.
Aren't you the guy who told me to stop being a penny pincher and "just buy it" re the Vega 56 at £300?

It's funny you know.

People will spend £1000s on hardware but aren't prepared to pay a single thing for software.

You have to feel for software devs. People genuinely expect to get software for nothing.

I used to think that was cool up to my early 20s. After that I started paying for software. Not always the full amount (I do love a good flash sale), but something at least.

Soldato
Aren't you the guy who told me to stop being a penny pincher and "just buy it" re the Vega 56 at £300?

It's funny you know.

People will spend £1000s on hardware but aren't prepared to pay a single thing for software.

You have to feel for software devs. People genuinely expect to get software for nothing.

I used to think that was cool up to my early 20s. After that I started paying for software. Not always the full amount (I do love a good flash sale), but something at least.

If you could get the Vega 56 for cheaper I'd tell you to take the cheaper option. Penny pinch all you want. (I was likely talking about the 5700XT or 2060 Super, don't remember talking about the Vega 56).

Just don't moan continuously if you aren't offered the price you want, and then blame people who do buy it for supposedly perpetuating high prices. Shop around, find the best price. If it isn't cheap enough for you, don't buy it. Don't then blame people that do buy it.

Associate

There's nothing illegal though. MS let you do it and could stop you from using it if they wanted. They don't want to do it and they'd give Windows away if no one bought it because of the value of advertising.

BTW the keys on auction site etc, most likely are fraudulant

And this is hilariously ironic because A) Vega lost money B) The people who purchased it at 400-500 paid for it for so you to get it at £250. I'll probably do the same but want to see what the 5700 offers over the Vega first.

Man of Honour

It's funny you know.

I'm the same with software. If something is genuinely useful to me then nowadays I will be happy to pay for it. I've bought several things recently and have an annual Jetbrains All Products subscription for various software development tools.

Caporegime
@Gibbo, sorry if this has been answered but I take it orders placed tomorrow for the launch will be despatched on Monday like any Sunday order? Would be awesome to have them next day :D

Yes it looks like, otherwise hasn't been stated. Shame as a Sunday opening would have been nice, even I would have been tempted to get a new Ryzen setup :)

Back
Top Bottom