• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Man of Honour
Hey,

I've got the Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 and I'll be water cooling it so temps etc should allow for a decent undervolt & overclock, but some questions?

1) Can this card take the 64LC BIOS ok and work perfectly?

2) Will I benefit from the 64LC BIOS based on the card I've got and the cooling I'm using?

Soldato
Pretty sure the Lc64 bios doesn't work on aftermarket cards, Atiflash will give a Subsystems Id match when trying to flash, whether you can use the command line way to force a flash I don't know, but effectively back in the reference card 2017 days, the only gain to an Lc64 was the higher boosting power tables, higher 1.25v limit and 264w limit.
The saph nitro+ has a 264w tdp limit on the higher power bios anyway.
Also when people were using lc64 bios on a reference vega64 air, there was some stuttering issues from Amd Driver 19.2.1, (not sure if still affected by latest drivers though) https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/the-amd-driver-thread.18643923/page-853

I think it will just be case of making sure your bios is on the highest setting and just tweak away.

Man of Honour
OP
Pretty sure the Lc64 bios doesn't work on aftermarket cards, Atiflash will give a Subsystems Id match when trying to flash, whether you can use the command line way to force a flash I don't know, but effectively back in the reference card 2017 days, the only gain to an Lc64 was the higher boosting power tables, higher 1.25v limit and 264w limit.
The saph nitro+ has a 264w tdp limit on the higher power bios anyway.
Also when people were using lc64 bios on a reference vega64 air, there was some stuttering issues from Amd Driver 19.2.1, (not sure if still affected by latest drivers though) https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/the-amd-driver-thread.18643923/page-853

I think it will just be case of making sure your bios is on the highest setting and just tweak away.
Ah, makes sense, thanks :)

Associate
This brings back memories of a forum team effort. As Davedree says quite a few of us on the liquid bios were getting manic frame rates in different games. The frames were all over the place after a new version of the driver came out. By going back to the reference bios all was well and no performance problems. In fact the performance was identical to the LC Bios. I can confirm that I did try to perform a LC Bios upgrade my nephews Sapphire nitro plus and it refused to work.

Man of Honour
OP
This brings back memories of a forum team effort. As Davedree says quite a few of us on the liquid bios were getting manic frame rates in different games. The frames were all over the place after a new version of the driver came out. By going back to the reference bios all was well and no performance problems. In fact the performance was identical to the LC Bios. I can confirm that I did try to perform a LC Bios upgrade my nephews Sapphire nitro plus and it refused to work.
Thanks for the confirmation, I'll just stick with the stock bios then :)

Can you remember which was the faster bios setting for the little switch on the PCB? I can't find any mention of it from Sapphire at all (ie. Which way the switch need to be)

Associate
The Answer is to go try both positions and check with GPU Z. My Nephews card they were both the same. Other peeps on the forum have seen conflicting info. This is what I did open gpu-z, under the "advanced" tab select the "general" option from the drop down menu and find" board power limit". take note, shut down, flick switch, restart, check again. It could depend on which batch of cards were sent out and when.

Man of Honour
OP
The Answer is to go try both positions and check with GPU Z. My Nephews card they were both the same. Other peeps on the forum have seen conflicting info. This is what I did open gpu-z, under the "advanced" tab select the "general" option from the drop down menu and find" board power limit". take note, shut down, flick switch, restart, check again. It could depend on which batch of cards were sent out and when.
Ah ok, I'll give that a try, thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom