• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD reduce prices before launch

Soldato
From the presentations it looks like it will match or beat a 2070 so the latest price reduction will make it the better buy. Tomorrow will tell all.

Soldato
Just makes AMD appear to have an inferior product...
Yes they don't have the superior strength and raw power of Nvdia, that's why they need to fight with strategy.

It's like boxing where an "out-boxer" fighting against an "in-fighter" that has superior destructive power and strength, he would be a fool to bring himself into in-fight with the opponent as he would clearly lose. What AMD has done is they have lured Nvidia to chase after them baiting them into deliver big heavy swings (2060S and 2070S) and miss the (price) target, and hit back with blows (5700 and 5700XT) toward Nvidia's extended arm (2060S) and exposed nose/chins (2060/2070).

For people that are willing to spend £500+ on a graphic card, Nvidia is a clearly choice; but for the sub-£400 segment, AMD is trying to gain as much users as possible.

Technically I doubt AMD would be able to pull an "Ryzen 3000" in the graphic space anytime soon, and also it is unrealistic to expect long time Nvidia users that already got a 1080 or above to switch to AMD. Targeting consumers that generally won't spend as much and don't have as much brand preference right now make sense, to try get them to experience AMD products to see for themselves that "AMD products are not inferior to the competition's offering (in the same price bracket)", and can make a more objective decision free from the influence of Nvidia mind-share.

I got a feeling that AMD is playing the long game here; since they got nothing at this moment in time that can compete against Nvidia's TU104 (2070S, 2080) and TU102 (2080ti) based cards anyway, they might as well try and to get more users on-board at the lower price segment for now as investing for the future; when AMD eventually can offer competition product even at higher-price segment, these existing users whom may in time willing invest in buying higher price segment card will more likely to considering getting an AMD card (especially in they are better bang for bucks against the rival's offer in the same price range), as oppose to Nvidia users.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep, if this was truly their plan all along they need new marketing people. Sends completely the wrong message to potential customers.

I would think most people will read reviews and make a decision. If benchmarks are close then the cheaper card is the better value.

Soldato
It's just typical AMD bias spin that people are putting on it.

AMD had to drop their pricing.
They've dropped pricing on an unreleased product. I've never seen that

At least be consistent. In the other thread you are annoyed they haven't cut the price enough.

The 2070s will beat the 5700XT and the 2060S might come close. They have cut the prices accordingly.

Welcome to the real world.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...0-or-rx-5700-xt.18857958/page-2#post-32844688

Coming across as having something against AMD at this rate.

Associate
So everybody has been up in arms at the price of cards and saying Nvidia need to reduce prices, we don't want RTX yada yada yada, so AMD release cards with no RTX, and "gasp" how could they release a card with no RTX, So then AMD do us all a favour and reduce prices at launch, are people happy ? Nooooooo, its because its inferior, or sending the wrong message. The only message I am getting is at least AMD is listening.

Soldato
Only thing AMD are listening to is their bottom-line and how wet it makes them that they may *actually* sell a lot of these units at a similar price to RTX but without the feature set!
Yes, we should all be wishing AMD to fail to compete and wishing that people would be foolish enough to buy into the glorify over-hyped feature (this moment in time) that barely even exist in games and on 3 tier cards (TU106) that don't have powerful enough hardware for using the said features without huge performance hit and resolution limitations.

I hope AMD's Navi get utterly destroyed by Nvidia due to poor consumers decision, we will only have Nvidia left and we can all enjoy paying £600+ for mid-range performance card :rolleyes:

Nobody's denying the potential and the future of RT, but thinking that mid-range RTX2000 series cards has any relevance to that is pretty much just delusional, and just trying to justify for justify's sake.

Caporegime
Nobody's denying the potential and the future of RT, but thinking that mid-range RTX2000 series cards has any relevance to that is pretty much just delusional, and just trying to justify for justify's sake.

Quote of mine from the Navi thread;

"I just think nVidia will have the general populous brainwashed with RTX and how it's a MUST HAVE no matter if it's barely usable at present."

So I'm not blind, just a realist. AMD won't lose money on Navi, that's a good start.

Soldato
RT is still early and adoption of the tech is still young. Maybe a gen or two from now it will have a less suffering impact and maybe the price might go lower with mass production and age of the process to make them in time and then it will be worth a punt at a card with the tech plus it gives devs time to get to a good working efficiency of the code to optimise games with the tech too and be more adapted to more games by then. Imo. Plus it will give amd a chance of catch up. It feels like more of a flashy gimick that only a few can afford for now and even then its not the best it could be in games afaik. I mean is there a game that was made from the ground up from start to finish with RT tech to be in it and to show it off properly yet? Or just added in some games to show off partial RT inclusion?

Associate
Only thing AMD are listening to is their bottom-line and how wet it makes them that they may *actually* sell a lot of these units at a similar price to RTX but without the feature set!

I am guessing that's the plan lol

seeing as we are quoting from previous posts here's one of mine

"I am hedging my bets that AMD will drop prices on release"

Soldato
RT is not really worth it righ tnow... but I get the point... it is a marketing tool. Even I, knowing that on lower cards it is a pointless feature due to it's awful performance, am inclined to think that I am 'getting more the money'. I see Cyberpunk upcoming with RT... and it puts it in my mind again.. even though... I won't run it on a 2060/2070. That's how marketing works... it gets in there... and makes you think something has value... even if it doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom