*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
Charles Tyrwhitt or T M Lewin are my go to for dress shirts. They have a variety of fits and also allow you to choose sleeve length. I think 33" sleeves are just outside the norm for 17.5 inch neck so you may have to pay a bit more for a custom size or just go up half an inch.

Normally one of the two have offers on.

Man of Honour
Charles Tyrwhitt or T M Lewin are my go to for dress shirts. They have a variety of fits and also allow you to choose sleeve length. I think 33" sleeves are just outside the norm for 17.5 inch neck so you may have to pay a bit more for a custom size or just go up half an inch.

Normally one of the two have offers on.

TM Lewis is my go to. The sleeves are fine as you can get them tailored, but above 17 inch neck there are no super fitted dress shirts and very few normal shirts unfortunately. I’ll take a look at Charles Tyrwhitt.

Soldato
Before training years ago, around 15. A shirt from last summer, 16 1/2. Now 17 1/2 is just about right (17 fits, but it’s a tight squeeze). My arms are only 33”!
Lol fat neck ;)

Yeap you are going to struggle as TM Lewin Super fitted only go so high.

Maybe try moving to just fitted and see if that opens up the option?

Man of Honour
Lol fat neck ;)

Yeap you are going to struggle as TM Lewin Super fitted only go so high.

Maybe try moving to just fitted and see if that opens up the option?

My wife gives my so much aggro. I tell her, I don’t train my neck (although realistically I probably do by hitting my traps) :p

Yeah, have no choice now but to buy new shirts with 17.5 neck and fitted rather than super fitted. Will just have to accept that they are going to be slightly baggy for the time being. I am screwed if my neck gets any bigger though.

Soldato
Try CT, they are pretty good with size choices and if it doesn't fit, you can send it back.

For lower neck sizes there doesn't seem to be a huge difference between super fitted and fitted for TM Lewin imo. I have quite a small waist so its always baggy there unless i wear shirt stays but given how comfortable they are, i only crack those bad boys out for events rather than work.

Man of Honour
Try CT, they are pretty good with size choices and if it doesn't fit, you can send it back.

For lower neck sizes there doesn't seem to be a huge difference between super fitted and fitted for TM Lewin imo. I have quite a small waist so its always baggy there unless i wear shirt stays but given how comfortable they are, i only crack those bad boys out for events rather than work.

Looks like CT has more options at the larger neck sizes. I suspect the extra slim will be what I need. Good stuff, thanks.

Soldato
So I've been training again for about 3 months solid after being out for quite a while, managed to hit a Deadlift of 180kg for 2 singles on Wednesday at a weight of 167lbs, I'm Squatting 100kg 5x5 but it felt incredibly hard going up in weight last week while being on about 1660 calories for this cut. I'm doing Floor Press since I don't have a Bench at home I can readily use and that's at 82.5kg 5x5, OHP is at 47.5kg but I struggled with my last set of 5x5 on that. Quite happy with my progress though, the Deadlifts were fun.

Caporegime
9 hours of tennis in the last week, deadlifted 160x5 on Wednesday and now down to 16 and a half stone.

Gonna have a well earned week off and then I'm switching up to sets of 10 for the summer and hopefully get below 16 stone before doughnut season starts in October.

Soldato
As somebody that wears PowerPerfect 2s for deadlifts, I am not convinced... Don't look like they would last five minutes! :D

My Metcon 2's are still holding up really well, prefer them to my NB Minimus for non-squat stuff... although they squeak which is apparently a thing and it puts me off getting another pair. Basically like having nearly flat lifters (think the heel drop is like 6mm or something).

Man of Honour
My Metcon 2's are still holding up really well, prefer them to my NB Minimus for non-squat stuff... although they squeak which is apparently a thing and it puts me off getting another pair. Basically like having nearly flat lifters (think the heel drop is like 6mm or something).

Oh, another metcon user :)

Only 4mm on the 4s and 5s I think, but the 5s have an optional insert now that raises the heel for squats. The squeak on my 2s was annoying. It has started on my 4s too, but is meant to be gone from the 5s.

My 4s are still going strong with just some minor wear and I have certainly put them through their paces. They are great shoes - I do all my lifting with them and they are very stable. The 4s much more stable than the 2s which were also an excellent shoe.

Soldato
As somebody that wears PowerPerfect 2s for deadlifts, I am not convinced... Don't look like they would last five minutes! :D

I have the same shoe but have been wondering lately whether im doing myself a disadvantage by wearing them for DL as i already have long legs.

Basically like having nearly flat lifters (think the heel drop is like 6mm or something).

Am i reading this right, they are lower at the heel than the toe end? What does that do for you over and above a standard deadlift slip on?

Soldato
I have the same shoe but have been wondering lately whether im doing myself a disadvantage by wearing them for DL as i already have long legs.

Am i reading this right, they are lower at the heel than the toe end? What does that do for you over and above a standard deadlift slip on?

As above, general gym shoe when I'm not doing squats or anything that uses the deep squat movement pattern. Not going to walk around in deadlift socks and in any case I don't deadlift; poor choice of movement for an upper/lower or PPL split, high recovery cost (not ideal when you work a 12 hour rotating day/night shift job), no plans on powerlifting and I'm not really built for it anyway (t-rex arms).

Soldato
Oh, another metcon user :)

Only 4mm on the 4s and 5s I think, but the 5s have an optional insert now that raises the heel for squats. The squeak on my 2s was annoying. It has started on my 4s too, but is meant to be gone from the 5s.

My 4s are still going strong with just some minor wear and I have certainly put them through their paces. They are great shoes - I do all my lifting with them and they are very stable. The 4s much more stable than the 2s which were also an excellent shoe.

They have a load of 4's on sale on Nike.com at the moment but maybe I'll wait a year and see if I can pick up some 5's cheaper when the 6's come out.

Soldato
While on the subject of DL im still having a problem putting the bar back down. I have quite 'bony' patella which protrudes from the front of my knee and the top of it is becoming bruised because on the descent the bar is just slightly catching on it. Im sure im doing the movement correctly but will video myself next week to make sure.

Back
Top Bottom