Canon Mirrorless Incoming

Caporegime
Bumpage. I'm starting to see more and more videos about this camera on YouTube, basically saying perhaps it was overlooked or even as a replacement for e.g. the A7iii. I still think I'll ultimately get an A7iii but from my limited use of some 5Ds I loved the cameras, glass and colours. A few in this thread have suggested the EOS R ii might be the one but I guess we are years away from this?

Come on Sony/Nikon/Canon/Fuji/Panasonic - one of you make the below please :D.

Fully articulating screen, dual card slots (UHS 2), excellent AF and tracking, weather sealed, full read out of the sensor for video/little cropping, a decent battery and IBIS.

Soldato
Bumpage. I'm starting to see more and more videos about this camera on YouTube, basically saying perhaps it was overlooked or even as a replacement for e.g. the A7iii. I still think I'll ultimately get an A7iii but from my limited use of some 5Ds I loved the cameras, glass and colours. A few in this thread have suggested the EOS R ii might be the one but I guess we are years away from this?

Come on Sony/Nikon/Canon/Fuji/Panasonic - one of you make the below please :D.

Fully articulating screen, dual card slots (UHS 2), excellent AF and tracking, weather sealed, full read out of the sensor for video/little cropping, a decent battery and IBIS.
Sony already has most of the above.

oNly thing missing is fully articulating screen and two uhs 2 cards.

The rest it already has.

What do you shoot?

Caporegime
I am a novice constantly day dreaming of my next upgrade :D:o and mainly do weddings/parties/portraits. I am still on my first camera, a Nikon 5200 which I absolutely love but will be getting a FF mirrorless.

My research and brain say the A7iii and it certainly doesn't seem to disappoint the users on here. It's just I am seeing more reviews say it's a bit more work to get the desired colours in post with the Sonys compared to Nikon or Canon.

Very keen to see what Sony release next.....

Soldato
I am a novice constantly day dreaming of my next upgrade :D:o and mainly do weddings/parties/portraits. I am still on my first camera, a Nikon 5200 which I absolutely love but will be getting a FF mirrorless.

My research and brain say the A7iii and it certainly doesn't seem to disappoint the users on here. It's just I am seeing more reviews say it's a bit more work to get the desired colours in post with the Sonys compared to Nikon or Canon.

Very keen to see what Sony release next.....
So why does the features u listed seem key to your next purchase given your a novice?

It sounds like even the a7mk3 is too advanced for you meaning you don't need most of its features for the type of stuff you said you shoot and the level you have put yourself. Stick with what you got until you feel your photos and work flow is limited by your current gear and stop reading nonsense about colour science etc. Focus on your needs

Caporegime
So why does the features u listed seem key to your next purchase given your a novice?

It sounds like even the a7mk3 is too advanced for you meaning you don't need most of its features for the type of stuff you said you shoot and the level you have put yourself. Stick with what you got until you feel your photos and work flow is limited by your current gear and stop reading nonsense about colour science etc. Focus on your needs

Coincidentally the wedding I did at the weekend made me think of some limitations; low light and dynamic range to some extent. With my sometimes heavy step and moderately OK hands, IBIS would be handy and especially silent shooting for weddings. On a separate note - 5FPS is decent but I wouldn't mind more as my family and friend's kids grow up and play sports.

I've had my D5200 for a good 5 years and am happy with my progress as are my clients but I have had the comfort of them being friends, friends of friends and work and so still a novice in that sense as I haven't set anything up/branched out yet.

I am in no rush to buy just eager and like to plan :).

Caporegime
Personally I'd rather have 3x F1.4 primes covering 28, 50 and 80mm. Who actually needs F2.0 in a portrait zoom?

I do. I do a lot of convention photography, these are often held in hotels with low lighting and are very busy, so f/2 is great for getting rid of the background activity and avoiding high ISO's. Up till now I've been using the Sigma 24-35 f/2.0 but the Canon's range would obviously be an advantage.

Soldato
Which primes cover the 24-35mm or 28-70mm focal range?

None. When you are in a convention, everyone is constantly moving around, having the zoom capability is essential to capturing the shot. There is no room to step back and no room to move forward.
What prime lenses shoot at F1.8 for low light? None ;)

You alluded that you needed lens for low light

Associate
I am a canon 7Dii DSLR and a Sony NEX5R owner and it is not that I want to go mirrorless. Even though I really do like the small form factor. The main reason why I got the NEX5R was because it is a great travel / city break camera. The main problem with it is no built in EVF and I can not source a official Sony EVF FDA-EV1S at all !
The main issue using the NEX5R is in bright sunlight I can not see the screen to compose a photo, so I end up taking my canon DSLR 7Dii with as well, sort off defeats the idea of having a small camera ! !

IMO reason canon use users have go over to Sony is not because of mirrorless revolution ( though there are benefits to mirrorless as there benefits to DSLR's ) more the fact that canon is just not putting the features in its cameras that its customer want and desire. Fujifilm, Nikon and Sony are doing this and are gaining market share. I do not see any benefit in paying a lot of money for a EOS R or RP when IMO a Sony A7iii has IBIS and is better at AF, IQ and Dynamic Range. The Canon users I have chatted to complain about the lack of new features being the main issue not the mirrorless option. Sure if the canon M50 had better features it may be sort after by more canon DSLR users ( as new comer to the market it is a great camera ), however the fact it has it's own lens eco system puts people off buying into a new range of lens when they already own decent canon glass.
This year I sold my 7D original which I have had for apx 8 years and purchased used 7Dii. Because I got fed up waiting for the supposedly new 7Diii which had endless release dates which were being pushed back !
Only to read this year this that canon will not be producing a 7Diii or 90D and will incorporate both in either a DSLR or mirrorless hybrid version. God knows ( as canon seem to not known ) when this camera will be released. I am just fed up waiting for the evolution of my 7D and canon then strangle features and spec to protect higher end models. Thinking that customers will just spend more for the features they want and buy the higher end canon models. Oh no, they buy Sony instead !

sorry for the rant ! !

This new canon camera had better be the saver for canon as I am currently saving up for a Sony A7iii and 24-40 f4 G lens which is were my money is going. For me this is canons last try and trying to keep me in there eco system.

Last edited:
Associate
Much prefer the glass available for X mount and the X-T3 is much much better than the X-T1 but it's still missing killer features that only Sony have. Canon not worth mentioning in this discussion...

Caporegime
Much prefer the glass available for X mount and the X-T3 is much much better than the X-T1 but it's still missing killer features that only Sony have. Canon not worth mentioning in this discussion...

Canon is building their glass and their glass is looking amazing, actually it seems they are the best of all the systems at the moment. The F/2.0 zooms, the pin sharp 50/1.2 and 85/1.2, they are all objectively amazing glass.

The problem it seems is that they are behind on the bodies yet again, they have been behind the bodies game, first to Nikon and now Sony, for like a decade now. I have been saying all the time that all they need is 1 body to turn it around, but there is only so long i can say that before reality set in. The reality is that i am not getting any younger and i frankly don't want to wait anymore.

Having shot Sony now for about 14 months and my keep rate has gone up, I am getting shots that I wasn't getting before and just shot the latest wedding all Sony, even evening shots with flash and the A73 did fine focusing on the dance floor without IR focus. I think it is finally time to off load all my Canon gear.

p.s. Those Canon glass and HUGE!!!!!!!! I am all up for manning up and carrying 2 bodies with 2 primes all day long, but I think I draw a line at the old size, the new lenses are ridiculous. Plus I would need a bigger case.

Last edited:
Associate
Raymond lin has a point.
I think canon glass is some of the best out there and most of the canon glass you can not go wrong with.
Canon bodies are behind on AA filters, low pass filters, IBIS, sensors, and the processors are even behind fujifilm.

I am also not getting any younger and want better Dynamic range, IBIS AF, and IQ
Cameras now have to be all rounders, jack of all trades as most people can not afford to buy particular camera for a particular type of photography !
The internet has opened a lot of people's eyes to what we as consumers should be able to buy and what the skill standard of amateur and professional is !

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom