Postman Folding Letters

Soldato
Our letter box has pretty stiff draft excluding bits. I doubt it's possible to get a letter through in less than half an hour without folding it and pushing it through with the fold. It's possible that this technique becomes automatic for postfolk, even if some letterboxes don't require it.

I do it everyday on my delivery for the reason you said although if it says do not bend i wont.

Yes they do. What irks me more though is the times they deliver, yesterday the post was pushed through just before 19:00. Whatever happened to post being delivered in the morning?

We used to have two deliveries a day and the deliveries used to be much shorter.

Our deliveries start at 1030 first letter and take four hours on average to the last letter, sounds like someone may have done two deliveries that day so just before 7 sounds about right.

Soldato
Yes postman always folds letters before putting through letterbox. They all seem to do it round here as it doesn't matter which postie is on my round they are all folded. I can see why as they wouldn't get them past the draft excluder if they did not, they would just end up curled up inside the letter box between the two flaps.

I also agree with others that if you have important documents that should not be bend then they should be sent in a strong carded envelope, not a standard one.

Associate
Maybe you need a bigger letterbox or a box on the outside wall which can hold suitably sized envelopes?
I kid you not, one postbox on my round was 3" wide, try getting a screwfix catalogue through that :mad:

Man of Honour
Forgive my ignorance, but shouldn't the sender have sent the documents in one of those stiff cardboard envelopes and a 'do not bend sticker' if it mattered?

I had to send two photos to my German daughter-in-law, I put them between two bits of cardboard in an envelope, and put a printed sticker on, saying SVP ne plier pas, and wrote next to it, “photos, please don’t fold.”
My son told that they arrived okay, but that someone, presumably in Deutsche Post, had written in red marker “bitte nicht falten”, nice of them.

Soldato
I had to send two photos to my German daughter-in-law, I put them between two bits of cardboard in an envelope, and put a printed sticker on, saying SVP ne plier pas, and wrote next to it, “photos, please don’t fold.”
My son told that they arrived okay, but that someone, presumably in Deutsche Post, had written in red marker “bitte nicht falten”, nice of them.
Yeah despite the whole war thing and Hitler the Germans are quite nice people.

Soldato
surprising the eu has not standardised the force required to push something through a letterbox ...

I can't believe the postman has any responsibilitry if a please don't bend pkg bends as a result of recipients letter box

Soldato
Postpeople are not allowed to put their fingers through letterboxes in case their fingers are eaten by dogs (this happens very regularly) if they get injured in this way then they could be found at fault. If your documents have been damaged by folding then complain to the sender who may not have put them in a "do not bend" envelope.

I've had several important documents sent in 'Do not bend' envelopes and still had them folded.

Back
Top Bottom