Did the remain vote win on this forum RE: Brexit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
From what I can tell it must have, as there seems to be an overwhelmingly vocal majority on this forum who are accusing those who voted leave of the most heinous treasonous crimes / intellectual deficiencies with utter impunity, and this remain-swarm goes entirely without reply from what I've seen.

As I only joined in October 2018, please enlighten me on the lay of the land. On this forum, did remainers drive everyone arguing in favour of Brexit hissing and spitting up a tree long ago?

Meanwhile in the land of otherness (other forums), there seems to be a ceasefire because no one side dominates, unlike here.

Caporegime
From what I can tell it must have, as there seems to be an overwhelmingly vocal majority on this forum who are accusing those who voted leave of the most heinous treasonous crimes / intellectual deficiencies with utter impunity, and this remain-swarm goes entirely without reply from what I've seen.

You might well be referring to the SC thread, this frequently turns into a mini-echo chamber at times for various reasons.

Associate
OP
Maybe it was the SC thread or similar that 'triggered' me to make my enquiry with this post.

I think the last time I saw such unfettered malice to equal that against Brexit voters was against a very cautious CTer minority in a thread RE: 9/11, or the 17 /yo girl who euthanized herself with the state's blessing (which was fake news), but anyone who objected to that imaginary euthanisation was apparently a monster.

For these reasons I remain wary of the dominant membership of the OCUK forums, though I can't argue there's an excellent community and discussion to be had on more practical / technological matters, or even philosophical matters sometimes.

Man of Honour
EDIT: Got links for other forums? - I don't think I've seen a proper ceasefire or back and forth discussion anywhere - it is almost always either polarised echo chambers for one side or the other with anyone with an opposing view driven out or full on vitriol from both sides.

I don't have much sympathy I'm afraid, despite the moderation being a bit inconsistent in that respect I guess to the rest of the forum, as only 1-2 pro-leave are/were actually bringing reasoned opinion or facts to the thread - most of the others were little better than CT nuts or trolls - repeatedly re-posting easily disproved things like that the EU would force the UK to adopt the Euro by 2021 despite it being easy to prove that isn't the case and that the UK and Denmark have a secured exemption to the policy for new entrants to the EU to come up with a plan for Euro adoption by that date and so on.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
There was only 1-2 pro-leave people in the thread posting from a position of reason and making actual valid points anyhow - the rest were little better than CTers posting rubbish such as the UK being forced to adopt the Euro by 2021 and repeating the same nonsense despite being shown that it factually wasn't the case and it doesn't take 2 seconds to google and find out that the UK and Denmark have secured exemptions from the policies that are coming in for new entrants to the EU to have a plan for adopting the Euro after that time and so on along the same lines for other matters.

The way some pro-leave posters in that thread are treated is inconsistent with moderating elsewhere to be fair but at the same time I'm not sure where the balance lies between opinion and trolling when it comes to their posts.

EDIT: Have links for threads on other forums? I've only ever really seen polarised leave or remain echo chambers on most other forums or alternatively full on vitriol from both sides and nowhere with proper back and forth discussion.

The main forum I'm a member of elsewhere is invite only now (bst-secure.com) or casually on another site regarding my car make/model.

I waded into the 9/11 CT thread as an 'agnostic' and got a decent flaming for not denouncing members here who are CT inclined, until I revealed my sources as Ron Unz and Paul Craig Roberts, persons of impressive status in the US who are saying all the wrong things as far as US MSM is concerned, then there was a backing off and not going mental at me, which was rare but nice :)

Those two sources also had a decent amount to say on Brexit, and they were my primary sources during the referendum, rather than TV or Facebook.

A few years on, and it seems the leave case needs reinvigorating after being so dormant. We thought we'd won - we hadn't. The remain campaign has been subtley going on ever since we dropped our guard hearing that we'd won, and is constantly under the peril of being cancelled, and strangely enough we're quite rusty. Instead the remainers have been polishing up all these years on how to tell the world Brexiteeres are foolish traitor subhumans regarding how we voted in 2016. I suspect the time is coming where the Brexit voters are going to wake up and advise many to put a sock in it, like we did back in the original referendum, as we apparently need to go again rather than rest on our laurels having won the first referendum.

Last edited:
Soldato
Indeed, just post what you did in the main Brexit thread.
Sounds more like you used two sources during a campaign, and now you are fed up that many people have chnaged their minds after realising many of the things they were told are utter twaddle, and their quality of life might be adversely affected.
Stick to the brexit thread if you really need to tell us why you are unhappy that some people regard your view as idiotic.

Associate
OP
Equally, in my opinion your view is idiotic. Maybe it is a symptom of this forum, which has many unusual traits (much disposable income, a feral hatred of religion, and even a smug self righteous commitment not to have kids and therefore not consider the future). Or maybe it's a lack of any real adversity in ones life - silverspooning it all the way makes one a remainer who will tolerate no turbulence when they're at the top of the middle class pile.

I used two vast sources. I also had the small company I contracted with to the NHS close down due to increasing red tape directly attributable to the EU, so I'll hold my grievance. To this day i see GDPR BS on every webpage I enter, and I'm reminded that has nothing to do with democracy or the UK, but its a demonstration the EU can just pull that on us and we're all supposed to like it, and that's merely the most visible internet-end of the spectrum we can observe.

Associate
Vexr, you accuse others of ‘unfettered malice’, in one post, and then refer to their view as ‘idiotic’ in the next.

Hope you see the problem there.

And as others have said, your rhetoric belongs in the appropriate Brexit thread.

Associate
This is a discussion board, you will get polar opposites of the spectrum in terms of discussion and those who will comment genuine knowledge and insight and those who just spout tosh.

I gave up on discussing Brexit about 2 years ago when it was obvious about 90% of people on both sides had no idea what they were talking about and it took on a religious like fervour. If it gets you wound up then don't get into a discussion.

In real life I am paid a lot of money to give advice re: legal matters and I'll always offer an opinion or view on here if I've got something to add. Yes I've been argued with and patronised by people who are blatantly uneducated on the subjects as is obvious by their post content or willingness to run off to Google to cut and paste some generic info. I'm an adult with a real life, so what.

Discussion boards are what they are, several reasoned and civil posts will always be drowned out by one or two obnoxious or insulting posters.

Permabanned
The remainers in SC are particularly committed. If you say anything pro brexit you'll get 10 pages of people calling you a moron. I gave up on SC as did many other brexiteers. It's too toxic.

Caporegime
The remainers in SC are particularly committed. If you say anything pro brexit you'll get 10 pages of people calling you a moron. I gave up on SC as did many other brexiteers. It's too toxic.

Most leavers "gave up" because the couldn't give a genuine reason (that wasn't easily disprovable BS) about the benefits of leaving the EU. When pressed the either double down on things that have been debunked many times already, or call it a echo chamber and go back to GD.

Anyway, why would the OP rely on two American commentators to tell them about Brexit? Very odd.

Caporegime
Doesn't matter how much people moan either way its good to finally know that on the 31st of October, there's going to be a week of media panic, then everything will carry on exactly as usual.

Soldato
Yeah, this place used to be fun. Brexit politics needs to stay away from GD, let people have their endless circular arguments in SC.

Can't wait for it all to be over, whatever happens. Utterly sick of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom