Litrilly

Caporegime
Dunno if it's an Americanism but,

Someone wants something and they say for example, "can I see that cup?" I dunno, can you? Eyes open? I usually wind them up for ten seconds.

Hear it here, once in a while.

Man of Honour
OP

Someone wants something and they say for example, "can I see that cup?" I dunno, can you? Eyes open? I usually wind them up for ten seconds.

May I inspect your cup?

Thank you for the advice everyone. I shall focus on the norks next time.

Soldato
The wife watches a lot of gardening programs and I have noticed that those mainly down south say gar-den and not gardun - still they never could talk proppa cood they. :D

What is Love island when it's at home.

Soldato

That's, literally, actual real English. You are wrong.

"can I" is just a less polite way of saying "Could I" as in "could I see the bill please?".

Capodecina
Soldato
  • Meaninglessly beginning any explanation or answer with "So".
  • Failure to distinguish between "number" and "amount".
  • Failure to distinguish between "fewer" and "less".
  • Pointless use of "like".
Writing "of" rather than "have" as in "I wood of".

I'm sure I could think of more but there is a limit. Social meeja has a lot to answer for - "Kno wot eye meen?"

Caporegime
That's, literally, actual real English. You are wrong.

"can I" is just a less polite way of saying "Could I" as in "could I see the bill please?".

That is literally "reading stuff" and makes literal sense. could i see a cup literally means can i look at a literal cup. You are literally incorrect in any language.

you literally got the wrong end of a stick.

Can i see it... not sure, eyes open?
Could i see it... not sure, did you have eyes open?

Soldato
That is literally "reading stuff" and makes literal sense. could i see a cup literally means can i look at a literal cup. You are literally incorrect in any language.

you literally got the wrong end of a stick.

Can i see it... not sure, eyes open?
Could i see it... not sure, did you have eyes open?

Agreed on this. My English teacher at school used to make an example of this.

Student - 'Can i go to the toilet sir?'
Teacher - 'I don't know, can you?'

Soldato
Please advise on the best course of action that I can take to prevent my own premature death.

Liberally apply a lobotomy to yourself, your wife and anyone else who watches, participates or has a hand in the production of said programme. In your new vegatative state your outlook on life will be much simpler and thankfully be out of harm's way in normal society :p

Associate
Pretty much all of my grammatical annoyances have been summed up in this thread:
  • People using literally (litrilly) in every sentence.
  • People using like too much - with that, people being "like WHAT" the what in capitals because it is usually at a sudden deafening volume.
  • Double negatives - usually confuses people - Them: "I'm not doing nothing" Me: "so you are going to do it" Them: "No? I just said I wasn't".

Man of Honour
Also hate it when people say somethink rather than something!! Arrrggg :mad:

How about skellington for skeleton, or getting “done for driving with undue care”?
My nephew used that one, I said, “So, you got nicked for driving too carefully?” Confusion reigned.
The sumfinks, and nuffinks, would have, should have, and litrallys are sprayed about ad nauseam by my Peckham in-laws, but somehow, my wife, (also Peckham) uses something and nothing, but she’ll still say fanks for thanks, it seems bringing her to civilisation in Rotherhithe is gradually working.
Her sister-in-law is a classic, she asked me, “Jean, can I lend your Hoover?”
I replied, “Who are you going to lend it to? Oh, and it’s a Dyson.”
In closing, nothing on God’s green earth will stop my wife from perusing a menu, smiling sweetly at the wait staff, and saying, “Can I get the veal, with angel hair pasta please?”

Back
Top Bottom