Rift s whos getting one?

Soldato
Got a rift s today, bit of a massive impulse buy and I was very shocked to see argos selling them. But reserved online and 5 minutes later was walking out store with it.

I'm loving the vr experience so. My first headset so nothing to compare too. I'm not sure if it's vr or me but it seems kind blurry sometimes, is that normal?

Also what go to games would you all recommend. I mainly got it for my driving set up as the next logical step from triple screen was vr. But obviously I'm going to try out as much as possible.so far all I've played is superhot and blade and sorcerer. Got serious Sam 3, hotdogs horseshoes and hand grenades and keep talking and nobody explodes downloaded to have a play any tomorrow. Any more you'd suggest to try out?

Others have suggested games already. I am just replying to your blurry problem. Have you measured your IPD? There is a software setting to change the IPD, it doesn't make much of difference compared to a hardware IPD, but, if it's only blurry sometimes, this might dial it in better for you.

Also, check to make sure your headset is on correctly, it might be a little loose and your movements are taking it out of the sweet spot. Another tip is that the back of the strap should be as low on your head as possible.

Associate
Got a rift s today, bit of a massive impulse buy and I was very shocked to see argos selling them. But reserved online and 5 minutes later was walking out store with it.

I'm loving the vr experience so. My first headset so nothing to compare too. I'm not sure if it's vr or me but it seems kind blurry sometimes, is that normal?

Also what go to games would you all recommend. I mainly got it for my driving set up as the next logical step from triple screen was vr. But obviously I'm going to try out as much as possible.so far all I've played is superhot and blade and sorcerer. Got serious Sam 3, hotdogs horseshoes and hand grenades and keep talking and nobody explodes downloaded to have a play any tomorrow. Any more you'd suggest to try out?

Got mine the other day from Argos too on a bit of an impulse. Robo Recall and Beat Saber are both excellent

Soldato
After selling my CV1 ages ago, mostly due to not having time to use it and regretting doing so, I've just ordered the Rift S. Cant wait to get my hands on it, already have quite a few VR compatible titles, and I'm going to take advantage of the Steam sales, but its Dirt Rally 2.0 VR that i'm looking forward to.

Associate
Seriously thinking of picking one of these up - take it the white flashes have not been a deal breaker for too many? Have they got better with the updates?

Associate
Haven't had any static flashes. Did you try the cable fix? Some people have got a replacement cable from Oculus that fixed the static flashing.

They don't happen very often so don't particularly bother me too much. I keep meaning to try plugging the Rift into the USB-C port on my RTX 2080 to see if that makes any difference.

Soldato
Got mine this morning. Actually quite impressed with it, I owned a CV1 a while back and regularly play on my mates Vive, although I dont still have the CV1 to do a back to back test it does definitely feel like a worthwhile upgrade over both, everything feels sharper and the screen door effect feels like its massively improved, its barely noticable unless you are physically trying to see it. the head strap is comfortable and secure. Only negative so far being the built in sound, I can definitely get why people are a bit underwhelmed by it, but not an issue for me as I'm using either full speaker setup when seated for racing or wireless in-ear headphones for more active games.

Soldato
There is a software setting to change the IPD, it doesn't make much of difference compared to a hardware IPD, but, if it's only blurry sometimes, this might dial it in better for you.

Also, check to make sure your headset is on correctly, it might be a little loose and your movements are taking it out of the sweet spot. Another tip is that the back of the strap should be as low on your head as possible.
The software setting only adjusts the virtual camera distance to match that of your eyes. This affects your perception of depth and scale which is quite a subtle change. The headset positioning is the only thing which will help finding the sweet spot for a clear image.

Soldato
Played Robo-Recall quite abit yesterday and apart from showing my lack of overall fitness and skill its a pretty dam good game. Very smooth and fast paced and looks good as well.

Also punched a wall for the first time playing vadar, My inner child took over and i way to into the game, wife posted a vid on whatsapp to all her mates of me nerding out with the head set on, need to get a lock for my office door.

Soldato
Also punched a wall
Done that a few times yesterday, punched a wall, punched a door, even punched my PC... I have limited play area and still getting used to the spatial constraints:rolleyes:

I too have been enjoying Robo Recall, also playing a fair bit of Gun Club VR and getting extremely infuriated by Superhot... toying with buying Beat Saber, played on mates Vive but unsure on how much longevity it will have for me, will probably wait till its cheaper or on sale.

Anyone else feel that the old shape of Touch controller was slightly better. It was a while back but I remember the old style one to be slightly chunkier and fit my hand better, not saying the new style is bad, just that I remember the old one fitting my hand more comfortably. Might just be my imagination though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone else feel that the old shape of Touch controller was slightly better. It was a while back but I remember the old style one to be slightly chunkier and fit my hand better, not saying the new style is bad, just that I remember the old one fitting my hand more comfortably. Might just be my imagination though.

The older controllers are more balanced. They just sit in your hands and melt away after a while. You have to grip the new ones more than the old ones, which makes the mammut grips more desirable.

They original Touch controllers are also much more robust. I have battle scars on the controllers and on my walls to demonstrate this. :rolleyes: They're made out of adamantium or whatever old Nokias were made of. :D Haptic feedback is also not as good in the new ones unfortunately.

Also the new controllers lack the thumb-rest sensor on the controller face. Not that many games ever used it, but it was an additional position that could be used to make thumb tracking more immersive.

The new controllers are still miles ahead of the other VR hand controllers, except for the Index controllers, and even then the button and thumbstick placement are better than on the Index - and the thumbsticks actually work properly too. :rolleyes:

Soldato
I moved my PC a couple of days ago from a lounge setup to a desk setup.
Man setting up the Rift S again was a piece of cake.

Its my first realisation on why I have to cancel my Index order.

Associate
Sitting on the fence on the rift until they sort out the flashing screens. Just know it will bug me. Still in queue for index

Soldato
Tempted by the Rift S but I think I'd rather wait to see if Oculus bring out a Rift Pro/X with a higher resolution. The Oculus Quest will tide me over for now.

Back
Top Bottom