• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
Is it because there's a rebate on it from Asrock or what? Genuinely confused why OCUK would miss that, if it did. Or is it just the other places offering just because?
Looking at a competitor's site, they have the X570 Taichi listed at over £100 off RRP. That could explain the pricing difference.

Soldato
Our end is correct, the supplier has confirmed our cost to be correct, US sites are $299 +tax so nothing is wrong our end.
I have requested confirmation from Asrock but that won't come until tomorrow but it looks like an error on the competitor site, not ourselves, I'd order two and hope for the best as its below distribution cost so I am sure its a big mistake on their part, or Asrock has made a mistake.

I'm not ordering any, it's a bit like me telling you to order one, you work in the game, you don't play it.

Biggest USA computer site has them listed at £247 + tax and shipping totalling £297 delivered to your door, so maybe the price should be somewhere in between as that is £60 less than you guys, I'd deffo check the disti or with ASRock in the AM

Associate
Slightly disappointing Ryzen 3000 isn't closer to Intel in games, however 8% to the 9900K at 1080P is not far from what i was expecting, which was around 5%, at 1440P which with a 2080TI is a more realistic res for that GPU there is almost nothing in it.

Productivity the 3900X just destroys the 9900K and does that with far less power consumption, really really impressive.

Overall i think pretty good. :)

Yea I think so too, is that because have yet to be optimised for the new AMD CPU's?

Soldato
It’s great for gaming of course, but even being conservative I expected it to be closer. I’ve seen 5% difference quoted in this thread but after seeing 4 reviews now it’s 10% plus.

It is a great CPU but not the messiah some want it to be. With gaming at the moment my 12 thread does comfortably with chrome and all sorts open so the 9900k will have no issues.

You looking at 1% frame times, or average FPS?
I tend to prefer the former, as it’s what’s important for consistency in performance.

Outside of 3 games I have interest in, FarCry, TombRaider, and WWZ, Seems ~5% is the difference given the clock speed difference.

Soldato
As a gamer, I'm about to press buy on 9700k.

I am disappointed. It doesn't "trade blows" with Intel, as we were led to believe...

An overclocked 9700K is the better choice if all you care about is gaming performance today. Also as long as you have a GPU that won't actually be GPU limited at normal resolutions.

Soldato
Everyone ignore the 3800X and either pony up for the beast 3900X or bag the 3700X
Someone was trying to convince earlier that 3800x was the way to go, I really couldn't see why at all - its meh to me unless you don't want to o/c at all

3900X obviously has more cores etc so fair enough but was out of my budget and I didn't really want to go down to Ryzen 5 with less cores - and even without that 3700x is a really decent price (and even better after seeing the early reviews and how well it performs in general)

Soldato
I love all the people buying a £400 8C/8T part in the Core i7 9700K,even though it is not even that much faster in 720p benchmarks,but on the eve of consoles with Ryzen 2 8C/16T. At least the people who bought the Core i9 9900K will find out they chips will have greater longevity. It reminds me of all the people buying the Core i5 7600K in 2017.

Associate
i7 with no hyperthreading, get mugged lol.

For gaming, which is for most people around here the most intensive task, the 9700k is everything you need.
The rest (HT), as long as 8 Cores remain enough, serves no purpose whatsoever.

I mean, it's not me being a fanboy or anything, but 9700K and 9900K are still the best for gaming.
Old, expensive and warm. But still be best nonetheless.

Associate
You looking at 1% frame times, or average FPS?
I tend to prefer the former, as it’s what’s important for consistency in performance.

Outside of 3 games I have interest in, FarCry, TombRaider, and WWZ, Seems ~5% is the difference given the clock speed difference.

It is game dependant of course but if you play all games, the 9900k still seems the best option.

Each to their own though. My next upgrade won’t be Intel. Was thinking 3900x to 3950x but will wait for things to mature bit, wait to see what happens with bios updates and ram timings.

Back
Top Bottom