• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
The biggest thing for me is overclocking seems to do nothing to gaming numbers for Ryzen 3000, often reporting lower frames.

So whilst @ 1080p the 3700X and 3900X are 5% slower on average vs Intel at stock. Those 9700K and 9900K chips have a lot of headroom.

B450 and 3700X for me this week anyway :)

Soldato
you got done by intel mate
The biggest thing for me is overclocking seems to do nothing to gaming numbers for Ryzen 3000, often reporting lower frames.

So whilst @ 1080p the 3700X and 3900X are 5% slower on average vs Intel at stock. Those 9700K and 9900K chips have a lot of headroom.

B450 and 3700X for me this week anyway :)

all core is 4.7ghz so you think an extra 300 mhz oc is going to do much....

Caporegime
For gaming, which is for most people around here the most intensive task, the 9700k is everything you need.
The rest (HT), as long as 8 Cores remain enough, serves no purpose whatsoever.

I mean, it's not me being a fanboy or anything, but 9700K and 9900K are still the best for gaming.
Old, expensive and warm. But still be best, nonetheless.

But it's not just about people "around here", there's a cost benefit analysis that clearly favours AMD. If someone is willing to spend that much on a CPU in the first place, they would be dumb not to play at 1440p 144Hz, Ultrawide or 4K, as that's their equivalent output. The only difference being a single game with limited playerbase at 1080p.

If you can justify the 9700k then that's your choice, but the objective one is not simply one-sided, because money is an object.

Soldato
******* lol at playing at 720p in 2019, really? come on.
tenor.gif

Removes GPU, puts focus on CPU, which is handy in a CPU benchmark :)

Soldato
It is game dependant of course but if you play all games, the 9900k still seems the best option.

Each to their own though. My next upgrade won’t be Intel. Was thinking 3900x to 3950x but will wait for things to mature bit, wait to see what happens with bios updates and ram timings.

Definitely! The 3900x is right up my alley.

I do game, but not too much. The upgrade over my 5820k will be huge, and when I do game it’s at 3440x1400.

Although if just gaming, the 3700x, and 9700k seem the best choices.

I might be waiting also. Especially for RAM, but also comprehensive motherboard reviews, and how loud those X570 chipsets will get when loaded with some pice4 ssds.

Soldato
For gaming, which is for most people around here the most intensive task, the 9700k is everything you need.

I mean, it's not me being a fanboy or anything, but 9700K and 9900K are still the best for gaming.
Old, expensive and warm. But still be best nonetheless.

Do you promise in the next 3 to 4 years a Core i7 9700K will be equal to a Core i9 9900K in all games?? Because I think it is incredibly short sighted to be recommened an 8C/8T part when consoles are already moving to Zen2 based 8C/16T next year.

This reminds me of all the Core i5 7600K owners on here telling people not to buy a Core i7 7700K or a Ryzen CPU. Not sure if that increasing is working out.

Soldato

Old, expensive and warm. But still be best nonetheless.

Think you'll find for many of us on 1440p or higher res (im on 3440px1440p) that theres going to be almost zero difference between the 9900k and the new Zen2 stuff in most games, except the price and the fact anything making use of as many cores as possible is going to be better on the newer AMD Stuff.

So yeah Intel retains its single threaded lead for now by minimal margins at 1080p and almost negligible at any res above that :)

Of course most current Intel owners can feel smug coming in here with their purchase, much like Zen2 owners will feel smug when / If more games come along that tax the core counts of CPU's, as those 9700k's will be the first Intel chips to feel it :)

End of the day were all enthusiasts, AMD has done a massive service to the CPU industry, competition is good for us all.

Associate
But it's not just about people "around here", there's a cost benefit analysis that clearly favours AMD. If someone is willing to spend that much on a CPU in the first place, they would be dumb not to play at 1440p 144Hz, Ultrawide or 4K, as that's their equivalent output. The only difference being a single game with limited playerbase.
I agree, but I'm still disappointed.

For 500£ I got Aorus Pro Wi-Fi and 9700k, which is (right now) the best gaming can get, and is really not much more expensive than 3700X with a B450/
Do you promise in the next 3 to 4 years a Core i7 9700K will be equal to a Core i9 9900K in all games?? Because I think it is incredibly short sighted to be recommened an 8C/8T part when consoles are already moving to Zen2 based 8C/16T next year.

This reminds me of all the Core i5 7600K owners on here telling people not to buy a Core i7 7700K or a Ryzen CPU. Not sure if that increasing is working out.

Well that's just now how I think, I'll keep having a job and buying another CPU in a few years won't be a problem, I'm not buying a car :p

But I see your point.

Associate
Definitely! The 3900x is right up my alley.

I do game, but not too much. The upgrade over my 5820k will be huge, and when I do game it’s at 3440x1400.

Although if just gaming, the 3700x, and 9700k seem the best choices.

I might be waiting also. Especially for RAM, but also comprehensive motherboard reviews, and how loud those X570 chipsets will get when loaded with some pice4 ssds.

I’m planning on doing more streaming, editing and what not so aye either the 3900 or 3950 seem a no brainier. Might try and hold out for the new TR as well, see what they do with that.

Back
Top Bottom