Weekend in San Francisco

Soldato
They don't need to be linked, The Landers EQ had a knock on effect on other fault lines

The Garlock fault line which goes straight into the San Andreas is right next to where this earthquake swarm is happening :)
From the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48891511
"The fault is growing," she said. "We ruptured a piece in the first earthquake... and we've ruptured more now."

The San Andreas Fault is the largest, extending about 1,200km through the state.

But Dr Jones said this quake was in a distant fault system, and was unlikely to trigger a quake along the San Andreas Fault.

I'll go with the good Doctors information. ;)

Soldato
Wouldn't worry about earthquakes tbh, isn't the worst hit place about 200 miles away?

Id recommend :
Golden gate bridge cycle then ferry back (across the bridge is busy cycling but the rest is very nice)
Golden gate park
Nelson Mandela Park monument
Alcatraz tour
Lombard Street

Soldato
Yes she says it's unlikely, that doesn't mean it can't happen, it just means the probability is low

But she also said after the 6.4 the chance of a bigger quake happening was about 5% and then came the 7.1, so make of that what you will :)
Which is pretty much what I was alluding to. ;) I wouldn't put off a trip to S.F. because of it though.

Associate
Tony’s Pizza just off Columbus is amazing, easily the best pizza in the world and he has the awards to prove it!

I second a visit to Tony's pizza! Also if you want something a little more peaceful, take a trip to the botanical gardens. Went for a walk around there on thanksgiving when most other places were closed - lovely part of the world.

Also if you want somewhere for some nice nibbles with a view, head to the Top of the Mark.

Associate
Agree about the night tour of alcatraz it was great but booking needs to be done months in advance. We had 3 days there traveled around by bus and cable car.
lK3UgGT.jpg

Soldato
A walk across the Golden Gate bridge was worth it too.

Just want to ask about this, off to San Fran with the Mrs next year. We're doing a road trip and don't pick up the car until we're on the way out of town - so was wondering about the walk across the bridge. Is it sufficiently pedestrianized and an enjoyable walk?

We're both in decent shape and go for long walks regularly, we can clock up about 15 miles before we start getting ratty so distance shouldn't be issue, and we can always Uber back.

Associate
Just want to ask about this, off to San Fran with the Mrs next year. We're doing a road trip and don't pick up the car until we're on the way out of town - so was wondering about the walk across the bridge. Is it sufficiently pedestrianized and an enjoyable walk?

We're both in decent shape and go for long walks regularly, we can clock up about 15 miles before we start getting ratty so distance shouldn't be issue, and we can always Uber back.

The path is all fenced off. People use it as a running route it's that wide

SPG

SPG

Soldato
OP
Did the tram
Did the boat tour
Caused havoc with electric scooters
Did the museum of modern art
Union square / mission is a dump
Pier 39 is hell on earth

Personally i cant wait to get out of the place and into stage 3 of the trip, drive up route one to the redwood forests.

P.s electric scooters are awesome definite purchase when i get back to the uk

Back
Top Bottom