Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
For those with money in any of the Linsdell Train funds - are you moving any out due to them being cut from HL's wealth 50 list?

No, why would you? The Wealth 50's just a recommendation list, there's plenty of decent funds outside of it and the only reason they're removing it is because the funds hold an increasing value of HL shares.

Soldato
It isn't yet, but it feels vulnerable to it because the fund has been so heavily promoted by HL, and because the fund contains so few stocks, any huge withdrawal would tank the value.

Woodford was still in the Wealth 50 at the time of its suspension. People were selling it because it was massively underperforming, not because one platform removed it from a recommendation list to retain impartiality. Conversely Lindsell Train Global Equity is/was performing incredibly well.

Soldato
So was Woodford, until it wasn't. But w/e, not trying to convince anyone either way, just saying what I did and why.

Woodford had two years of losses (-12.71% and -20.22% atm) before investors started withdrawing en-mass. You've said you've sold because you don't want a repeat of Woodford but I see no similarites whatsoever?

Associate
No, why would you? The Wealth 50's just a recommendation list, there's plenty of decent funds outside of it and the only reason they're removing it is because the funds hold an increasing value of HL shares.
I guess Billy's reply hints at the problem,

"It is too early to tell whether Hargreaves Lansdown’s decision to remove the two funds from its best-buy list will cause a stampede of investors to head for the exit door.

But it did cause the share price of Lindsell Train Investment Trust to plunge by more than 22 per cent on Friday in expectation that the investment manager’s future revenues would be adversely impacted."

That from This Is Money

Whether that has any material impact on the fund I guess is the question.

Soldato
If its for a pension fund and you dont need it within 10 years why do you care anyway. These issues are external to judgement levied on the companies invested in. [fund runs a premium which makes more sense to cash in I guess] I'm not surprised people do this, but I think its a good reason to consider a buy or at least take an interest while people are giving a better price for the same assets and the same value as last month. Sounds a lot like Buffet is always mentioning about Mr Market giving a price for its own reason which doesnt change the worth.

I dont have the link but I might have posted it ages ago about Intel shares and the author explaining how its price languishing near $20 was continually a good thing especially if able to reinvest dividends. Now its near $50 its hardly as attractive but people are more interested.

Citywire will send articles on funds and Morningstar as they appear if requested

https://citywire.co.uk/wealth-manag...nds-after-share-slide-halved-premium/a1248177

https://citywire.co.uk/funds-inside.../a1248162?ref=citywire-money-latest-news-list

Soldato
As above - maybe not the cheapest but my personal stuff (SIPP and ISA) are currently on Fidelity platform as well.

Cheers, i've ended up with Fidelity too. I like that i can link mine and my wifes accounts and see everything together too.

Have just closed my HL ISA to set up a Fidelity one too. It's worth the £30 exit fee just for simpleness i figured.

Caporegime
I can't believe how bad I am at investing.
I think I've lost on the few investments I made (every one) in the last year.
Thomas cooks 50pc drop today is nail in coffin. I'm taking what little I have and bailing!
Should have sold Thomas Cook last month.

Done much better with bitcoin ironically.

Caporegime
If you're only making a "few" investments then perhaps not a good idea to invest in individual equities as you're inherently over exposed (by nature of only having a few holdings) to the performance of any single company you hold. Maybe better to just get yourself a tracker or find a fund that fits your goals.

Caporegime
If you're only making a "few" investments then perhaps not a good idea to invest in individual equities as you're inherently over exposed (by nature of only having a few holdings) to the performance of any single company you hold. Maybe better to just get yourself a tracker or find a fund that fits your goals.

I think so . Its obvious I'm not capable of making the correct decisions. I guess this happens to a lot of novices Try their luck picking and it ends up just like a lottery

Soldato
Thomas cooks 50pc drop today is nail in coffin. I'm taking what little I have and bailing!

Go for a fund, but Thomas Cook, in my opinion, were clearly not a viable business in today's world.

Man of Honour

Definitely this - I dabbled a bit in alternatives, etc. with a few investments and it was more luck than judgement (or rather I knew the risks I was playing with and offset elsewhere) that I didn't make a loss.

On a related note and I have no idea why but I woke up Wednesday and just closed all my investment accounts, etc. I'm still not really sure why I just woke up and decided to do it - but I was having a hard time just switching off and not micro-managing which might have been a motivating factor.

EDIT: Though a big factor in that was getting out of Alliance Pharma last September... (right before it dropped off a cliff).

Last edited:
Soldato
On a related note and I have no idea why but I woke up Wednesday and just closed all my investment accounts, etc. I'm still not really sure why I just woke up and decided to do it - but I was having a hard time just switching off and not micro-managing which might have been a motivating factor.

I think that's a big thing with me and why i've not stuck to funds. You get to a point of checking prices every day and questioning your decisions. At least with funds there isn't a £10 fee per transaction.

From what i've read you seem fairly well off and that suggests you may have a decent level of investments and i'm not sure i'd want a chunk of money not "working". Maybe you'd be better off with an IFA who could invest on your behalf. You'd still get access to the platform to see progress but you wouldn't have the ability to micro-manage your investments.

Man of Honour
I think that's a big thing with me and why i've not stuck to funds. You get to a point of checking prices every day and questioning your decisions. At least with funds there isn't a £10 fee per transaction.

From what i've read you seem fairly well off and that suggests you may have a decent level of investments and i'm not sure i'd want a chunk of money not "working". Maybe you'd be better off with an IFA who could invest on your behalf. You'd still get access to the platform to see progress but you wouldn't have the ability to micro-manage your investments.

I'm not that well off but I do have a comfortable level of disposable income. I think I'm gonna look more towards my pension going forward, which I've kind of neglected, rather than playing with the stock market.

Soldato

I haven't invested/traded individual shares for a while now but Thomas Cook have been up **** creek for a while now. Like @Ahleckz said, they haven't really been a viable investment for a long time... but obviously don't know when you bought.

Nowadays I just have a diverse mix of funds including trackers/indexes. I'm about to move my (very small) pension over to a SIPP and continue it there and that'll likely all be in indexes.

Soldato

Just throw a chunk into index trackers and forget about it. The passive fund I'm in return WELL in access of the virtual stocks I bought to try out individual shares. It's PURELY a guess based on nothing but biased media or industry trends that can change at any given time. The only individual stocks that's doing well for me are utilities as I figured that everyone needs to use these things. Any even then it's probably also a gamble.

Index funds for 100% of my money now.

Back
Top Bottom