Being obese causes cancer but...

Soldato
You started off with the problem
How many miles did you walk, jog, run or ride a bicycle that day ?

I'd actually been hiking at two national monuments!

The day before, I'd completed several hikes inside Canyon De Chelly, (around 5 miles up and down canyons in 35 degree heat) and the day I stopped off in Gallup, I did several trails at Chaco Canyon.... (probably around 8 miles again in sweltering heat)

Samething where I am from in the UK, every corner there is a Dixie Chicken, Fried Chicken dot com, Super Duper Fried Chicken but we 3 big parks, super markets, mini markets and a 24 hour gym.

There are alternatives so no excuse for people in that area to get fat but many are including school children.

Lack of education and right out laziness.

You don't seem to understand the problem, laziness is absolutely not the root cause of the problem here.

Yes, we all know some big fat guy who weighs 35 stone, eats 8000 cal of junk a day and doesn't care and will be dead in 5 years, we all know someone like that - but he isn't the problem at all.

Children are the problem, because obesity in children in skyrocketing - if you're obese as a child you're 70-80% more likely to stay obese throughout life.

You can't sit in an environment which does the following things with impunity;
  • Junk food advertising aggressively targeted directly at children
  • Junk food engineered to defeat the bodies natural satiety mechanisms (you can't stop eating it)
  • Junk food that's actually designed with sweetness levels to suit the palette of a 5 year old
  • Junk food that's designed to cause addiction (combining high levels of fat and carbohydrates at the same time)
  • 70-80% of food in the supermarket exists for nothing other than pleasure with practically no nutritional benefit
  • Saturation levels of junk food in towns and cities - delivered right to your door
  • Shops where you're literally herded through a maze of sweets and snacks before you can get to the checkouts
Then claim after reading through those examples, that it's actually the children's fault for existing in such an environment and being lazy and not being able to control their temptation, temptations which are driven by some of the most powerful urges we have (appetite).

The food industry is the root cause of the problem, in the same way that the tobacco industry is the root cause of almost all lung cancer.

Fix the food industry - you fix the obesity, there is absolutely no other way.

Caporegime
I'd actually been hiking at two national monuments!

The day before, I'd completed several hikes inside Canyon De Chelly, (around 5 miles up and down canyons in 35 degree heat) and the day I stopped off in Gallup, I did several trails at Chaco Canyon.... (probably around 8 miles again in sweltering heat)

You don't seem to understand the problem, laziness is absolutely not the root cause of the problem here.

Yes, we all know some big fat guy who weighs 35 stone, eats 8000 cal of junk a day and doesn't care and will be dead in 5 years, we all know someone like that - but he isn't the problem at all.

Children are the problem, because obesity in children in skyrocketing - if you're obese as a child you're 70-80% more likely to stay obese throughout life.

You can't sit in an environment which does the following things with impunity;
  • Junk food advertising aggressively targeted directly at children
  • Junk food engineered to defeat the bodies natural satiety mechanisms (you can't stop eating it)
  • Junk food that's actually designed with sweetness levels to suit the palette of a 5 year old
  • Junk food that's designed to cause addiction (combining high levels of fat and carbohydrates at the same time)
  • 70-80% of food in the supermarket exists for nothing other than pleasure with practically no nutritional benefit
  • Saturation levels of junk food in towns and cities - delivered right to your door
  • Shops where you're literally herded through a maze of sweets and snacks before you can get to the checkouts
Then claim after reading through those examples, that it's actually the children's fault for existing in such an environment and being lazy and not being able to control their temptation, temptations which are driven by some of the most powerful urges we have (appetite).

The food industry is the root cause of the problem, in the same way that the tobacco industry is the root cause of almost all lung cancer.

I agree with all this.
When i was a kid being fat was actually pretty rare, i was special :p
So now yeah, bad lifestyle follows you through to adulthood. Will i fix it? Maybe. Maybe not. It doesnt matter ill die at 65. Boohoo. My sad choice.
Nowdays tons of kids are fat little pigs. the problem is twenty or thirty fold what it used to be.

Soldato
I agree with all this.
When i was a kid being fat was actually pretty rare, i was special :p
So now yeah, bad lifestyle follows you through to adulthood. Will i fix it? Maybe. Maybe not. It doesnt matter ill die at 65. Boohoo. My sad choice.
Nowdays tons of kids are fat little pigs. the problem is twenty or thirty fold what it used to be.

What is find terrible, is seeing a fat round blob of a child being fed chips and a burger and the parent eating a salad... i see if often. If the parent refuses what the child wants, said child goes mental. So its EASY to just give in and save the headache.

Soldato
Theres one of those billboards outside my local chinese take-away. I found its placement highly amusing but also slightly depressing since I am a little on the large side and was on my way to pick up my chicken curry with egg fried rice, sweet and sour chicken balls, vegetable spring rolls, and prawn crackers. :( :D

Was this all for you??
The rice and curry would be more than enough for me.... And I'm 14st.
Although I have been ill the past week and have lost 7Lbs... not eating does that to you.. should be ill more often! :p

Caporegime
Was this all for you??
The rice and curry would be more than enough for me.... And I'm 14st.
Although I have been ill the past week and have lost 7Lbs... not eating does that to you.. should be ill more often! :p

The spring rolls and prawn crackers were free, I didn't ask for them. The rest was for me, but I ate it over two days because I forgot how big take-away portions are... :p

Soldato

I maybe completely wrong here but I blame a lot of kids/adults being over weight these days on the digital age were now in..

I know these days of having Internet, Netflix, Online Shopping, Mobile Phones etc has made me much more lazy and I have put more weight on due to this

Last edited:
Caporegime
When they drop the BMI threshold for obesity again how many of you will be?

People have different genetics, ages , health issues etc. There are about 100 factors to take into account according to British medical research.

:D

ICbw8Wb.png

Sure genetics can affect the chances of becoming obese, you still have to regularly consume more calories than you need in order to get to that stage though. Also The population as a whole has been getting fatter over time, that isn't down to genetics but **** modern diets.

It's just another way to judge people & ostracize people. It was smokers, now it's weight, next it will be petrol/diesel drivers.

No its a way to inform or remind people about something they might not be aware of or might well not pay attention to.

I'm overweight, do I care? No. Do I cost the NHS more? No.

On average overweight and obese people probably do cost the NHS more. Especially in the case where they develop diabetes.

Soldato
I maybe completely wrong here but I blame a lot of kids/adults being over weight these days on the digital age were now in..

I know these days of having Internet, Netflix, Online Shopping, Mobile Phones etc has made me much more lazy and I have put more weight on due to this

I'm sure in some circumstances it's a contributing factor, however there are a number of other countries which participate in all of the above, which have much lower rates of obesity than the UK or US, Switzerland, Japan, Norway, to name a few. They all have things like Netflix, mobile phones, online shopping etc - but not the same obesity problem. They do have far lower rates of fast food consumption though.

Japan is a weird one though, they have a system called the "Metabo law" which is a state run system which imposes mandatory waistline checks on anyone between 40-70, which is carried out in some cases by your employer, if you go beyond 36" you can be essentially fined and run into all sorts of other issues.

Has the Metabo law worked? probably - I'm not sure it would work here though (US or UK) I suspect people would absolutely lose their **** if they tried it.

It's an interesting approach though, it bypasses the horrendous legal difficulties of going after the food industry (who can afford the best lawyers money can buy, like the tobacco industry) by getting them to restrict or change their products. Instead it indirectly targets them by keeping their customer base 'in check' which has the effect of lowering consumption and in turn demand. If it works - who am I to criticise it, I'm just not so sure it could work over here.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Japan is a weird one though, they have a system called the "Metabo law" which is a state run system which imposes mandatory waistline checks on anyone between 40-70, which is carried out in some cases by your employer, if you go beyond 36" you can be essentially fined and run into all sorts of other issues.

How does that work with Sumo wrestlers?

Soldato
How does that work with Sumo wrestlers?

To end this endless rabbit hole of questions and points of view about this Metabo law, there was a question I had about this. What about sumo wrestlers? Are they stuck with the same law as everyone else? And the answer is, YES! They are stuck with having to give up the gut as there time arrives when they turn 40. But it’s also interesting to note that the oldest wrestler to win a top division sumo championship was 37 years of age (Kyokutenho Masaru). So the vast majority of these wrestlers will never have to worry about it. But, I wonder though about those who have to work hard to get themselves below the thresholds of the Metabo law in time, when for most of their lives they’ve been commended for being a big fat wrestler.

http://nihonscope.com/news-in-japan/really-illegal-fat-japan/

Soldato
I'm sure in some circumstances it's a contributing factor, however there are a number of other countries which participate in all of the above, which have much lower rates of obesity than the UK or US, Switzerland, Japan, Norway, to name a few. They all have things like Netflix, mobile phones, online shopping etc - but not the same obesity problem. They do have far lower rates of fast food consumption though.

Has the Metabo law worked? probably - I'm not sure it would work here though (US or UK) I suspect people would absolutely lose their **** if they tried it.

It's an interesting approach though, it bypasses the horrendous legal difficulties of going after the food industry (who can afford the best lawyers money can buy, like the tobacco industry) by getting them to restrict or change their products. Instead it indirectly targets them by keeping their customer base 'in check' which has the effect of lowering consumption and in turn demand. If it works - who am I to criticise it, I'm just not so sure it could work over here.

I got to give it to Japan, out of all the countries I have visited they are the most healthiest I have seen.

The closest I came to fat when I was there, was a girl who would be a size 12 back in the UK. The average dress size for females in the UK is size 16, that wasn’t the case back in the 90’s. Bet they will increase the average to 18 in a few years.

Sweden, Switzerland, Iceland, Serbia and Hungary are a few other countries, if I became a personal trainer , I would struggle to find clients as most people are healthy and slim there. Puts the UK and the US to shame.

Caporegime
I got to give it to Japan, out of all the countries I have visited they are the most healthiest I have seen.

The closest I came to fat when I was there, was a girl who would be a size 12 back in the UK. The average dress size for females in the UK is size 16, that wasn’t the case back in the 90’s. Bet they will increase the average to 18 in a few years.

Sweden, Switzerland, Iceland, Serbia and Hungary are a few other countries, if I became a personal trainer , I would struggle to find clients as most people are healthy and slim there. Puts the UK and the US to shame.

Spent a fair bit of time in Norway and can't recall ever seeing a fat woman unless she was a foreigner! However, if you didn't walk everywhere there you were seen as a bit weird. Plus cars are very expensive to run.

Soldato
Spent a fair bit of time in Norway and can't recall ever seeing a fat woman unless she was a foreigner! However, if you didn't walk everywhere there you were seen as a bit weird. Plus cars are very expensive to run.

Yep, all the Scandinavian/Nordic countries are top of the league when it comes to keeping themselves decent. Both men and women.

The UK needs to take a leaf out of their book.

Back
Top Bottom